Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just want to hear peoples opinions on the consitutional state of Northern Ireland.
    Do people really think that a country should be divided? Fair enough the majority of people in the North want to remain in the UK, however, when the border was drawn two counties were added to N.Ireland in order to allow the country to survive economically. Therefore paving the way for the state that we have today.
    It is also true that the British government at the time (we're talking chamberlain, churchill (cabinet ministers) ) had promised that the 6 counties would be returned to the south as soon as possible. Yet this has never happened.
    Do the British have a place in Ireland at all?

Note: I am an Irish nationalist, i do not support any type of violence in order to achieve any objectives, indeed the sooner the bullet is out of Irish politics for good - the better.

ReputationRep:
    NI is a good place, the "troubles" account for little of normal day to day life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    NI is a good place, the "troubles" account for little of normal day to day life.
    Did i say it wasnt a good place, i should know saying i have lived here for the past 17 years. The troubles were bad, espeically for those that lived in belfast.
    That was never the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    Did i say it wasnt a good place, i should know saying i have lived here for the past 17 years. The troubles were bad, espeically for those that lived in belfast.
    Yeah...its a touchy issue. At the time, you have to remember that it would have been difficult to for the British to enforce Home Rule in Northern Ireland as the army was not prepared to coerce Ulster, hence the "curragh muntiny" and sympathy of the army to Ulster gun running etc. Although the government aimed to unite the two countries, could it have been practically acheived? Furthermore, don't we have to remember that under a Home Rule act, the returning of Ulster to the rest of Ireland within 6 years would have been applicable were it not for the Anglo-Irish settlement as a result of the Anglo-Irish war?

ReputationRep:
    I just want to hear peoples opinions on the consitutional state of Northern Ireland.
    Do people really think that a country should be divided? Fair enough the majority of people in the North want to remain in the UK, however, when the border was drawn two counties were added to N.Ireland in order to allow the country to survive economically. Therefore paving the way for the state that we have today.
    It is also true that the British government at the time (we're talking chamberlain, churchill (cabinet ministers) ) had promised that the 6 counties would be returned to the south as soon as possible. Yet this has never happened.

Note: I am an Irish nationalist, i do not support any type of violence in order to achieve any objectives, indeed the sooner the bullet is out of Irish politics for good - the better.
    There are two schools of argument as well here....should it have been the decision of all within the Union i.e both Great Britain and Ireland whether the Ulster counties should have been separate or just those within Ireland - admitedly, the latter would have returned Ulster given the nationalist majority in Ulster at the time

ReputationRep:

You also have to ask whether the current Unionist population is at fault for identifying with their origins when ipeople emigrating into other countries (as the Ulster plantation lot were) tend to not forget their origins? Could Ulster Unionists still identify with their origins under the sphere of a united Ireland? - or should Ulster unionists accept that they are indeed Irish, not British?

ReputationRep:
    Due to the great amount of propaganda that exists in the British press, too few people are aware of this fact.

I dream of a United Ireland, but would sooner see the people of Northern Ireland decide, without fear of retribution.

ReputationRep:
    if you live in belfast why have you said your from ireland.surely your from n.ireland
    thats where im from...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wendyl)
    if you live in belfast why have you said your from ireland.surely your from n.ireland
    thats where im from...
    i agree if ppl want 2 live in ireland then they should move there. instead of trying 2 get rid of northern ireland.

so many ppl hate british intervention but are willing to accept british government handouts. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i gotta give you a clap on the back there lyns cuz it's sooo true about them accepting money from the british government when they want a united ireland! it would madden you sometimes! :mad:

ReputationRep:

I think you'll find a rather narrow majority wish to remain in the UK, and that majority is dwindling with each year. The British occupation is entirely illegal.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.