Null sequence question

Watch this thread
mootasaurous
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm stuck on an annoyingly easy question about null sequences. :ashamed2:

Use the list of basic null sequences and the various rules to prove the following sequence is null:

{ (n^10 x 10^n) / n! }

basic null sequences are:
{1/n^p} p>0
{c^n} |c|<1
{n^p x c^n} p>0, |c|<1
{c^n/n!}
{n^p/n!} p>0

and the various rules are sum rule, product rule, multiple rule.

thanks!! :ahee:
gff
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
What about focusing on one of the sequences in this list, and using a bit of common sense about n^{10} and 10^n?
sputum
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
split off half the numerator, prove the remainder is null and use the multiple rule to show any multiple of the bit you cut off by a null sequence is null?

*crosses fingers*
mootasaurous
Rep:
(Original post by gff)
What about focusing on one of the sequences in this list, and using a bit of common sense about n^{10} and 10^n?
I've been trying to do that, im not quite sure what you mean about common sense about n^10 and 10^n?
mootasaurous
Rep:
(Original post by sputum)
split off half the numerator, prove the remainder is null and use the multiple rule to show any multiple of the bit you cut off by a null sequence is null?

*crosses fingers*
I thought about that but according to the multiple rule, the multiplier has to be a real number (i think?) and it wouldnt be multiplying it by a real number, it would be either n^10 or 10^n

or am i being silly
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
What are the "various rules" here? [I'm treating this as an exercise in "proof using only these facts", in which case we need to know what facts we can assume].
mootasaurous
Rep:
(Original post by DFranklin)
What are the "various rules" here? [I'm treating this as an exercise in "proof using only these facts", in which case we need to know what facts we can assume].
If {a} and {b} are null then
{a+b} is null - sum rule
{Ka} is null, K belongs to all real numbers - multiple rule
{ab} is null - product rule
gff
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mootasaurous)
I've been trying to do that, im not quite sure what you mean about common sense about n^10 and 10^n?
As n gets bigger, which of the two things has the greatest value?
Hence, can you find something that is bigger than your sequence at some point, and is still a null one.

EDIT: I guess this may not be the best advice, given that you need to only use rules.
DFranklin
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
If {a} and {b} are null then
{a+b} is null - sum rule
{Ka} is null, K belongs to all real numbers - multiple rule
{ab} is null - product rule
I don't see how to do it using only those rules.

Edit: the "best" I can see requires also: if {a^2} is null than {a} is null.
sputum
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I thought about that but according to the multiple rule, the multiplier has to be a real number (i think?) and it wouldnt be multiplying it by a real number, it would be either n^10 or 10^n

or am i being silly
No, I think I was.

10n dominates n10 so you could squeeze it between 2*10n and something maybe?
DFranklin
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sputum)
Squeezing isn't one of the "rules" though.

Idea is good though.

Following through: n^10/10^n is null, and 100^n/n! is null, so...
sputum
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I don't see how to do it using only those rules.

Edit: the "best" I can see requires also: if {a^2} is null than {a} is null.
is this not the product rule?
mootasaurous
Rep:

Idea is good though.

oooh! i think you've got it!

thanks for helping everyone
Totally Tom
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
"postgraduate"?
mootasaurous
Rep:
(Original post by Totally Tom)
"postgraduate"?
oh oops
dlynton
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
N

Idea is good though.

10^n*10^n is not 100^n its 10^2n
DFranklin
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dlynton)
N

10^n*10^n is not 100^n its 10^2n
No. 10^n * 10^n = 100^n = 10^2n.
Solz92
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Is {2/n!} a null sequence
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (67)
28.39%
As I expected (73)
30.93%
Harder (88)
37.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.39%

Watched Threads