Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by John5000)
    I'm sorry to get into this again, but UCL only alright?
    I'm being a touch tongue in cheek... I go to UCL, I think it's a great place. As ever, things will depend on what you want out of an Economics degree and university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idealz)
    =...

i shud av had Physics and Further instead of Acc. n Business....urghhhhh

Well i am sure that your subjects were perfect.According to LSE inclusion of one subject in a combination of three is permittable.(was stated on their website)Therefore,it was not your subjects that halted the process.Anyways,congratulations on your admission to UCL.It is also LSE's counterpart.And at the end of day you will receive a University of London degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chixidol)
    Well i am sure that your subjects were perfect.According to LSE inclusion of one subject in a combination of three is permittable.(was stated on their website)Therefore,it was not your subjects that halted the process.Anyways,congratulations on your admission to UCL.It is also LSE's counterpart.And at the end of day you will receive a University of London degree.
    But then there's UoL and there's UoL...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chixidol)
    Not to sound snobbish, but receiving just any UoL degree shouldn't be any compensation for his rejection.

Because UCL Economics is such a terrible degree :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    While we're on the subject, has anyone else had real regrets about their ps?The last few months I've rewritten the whole thing in my head and its great now If I get rejected Ill be upset because I think I could have seriously improved my chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Because UCL Economics is such a terrible degree :rolleyes:
    The point was that simply a UoL degree isn't necessarily anything to write home about: there's a huge difference between LSE or UCL and Royal Holloway or Queen Mary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sjb123)
    While we're on the subject, has anyone else had real regrets about their ps?The last few months I've rewritten the whole thing in my head and its great now If I get rejected Ill be upset because I think I could have seriously improved my chances.
    YES!! I thought I was the only one! I wrote a paragraph in my PS about my involvement in Amnesty's campaigns and books i've read that reflect weaknesses in the law and the legal system; I was looking over this section the other day and realised it makes me sound like a total rebel, LSE will probably think i'm a regular maniac protester - the kind who chains himself to the houses of parliament and goes on a hunger srike to prove a point Ahh if only I could change the structure of that paragraph...

ReputationRep:
    That dosen't sound too bad at all. I have a similar thing with mine. Im going for International Relations and I mentioned Chomsky etc etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I could have sounded more open minded and intelligent in general especially in context of the views that alot of the academics seem to have there. Theres also a few other things Id really like to have included. ah well

(Original post by zxczxc)
    The point was that simply a UoL degree isn't necessarily anything to write home about: there's a huge difference between LSE or UCL and Royal Holloway or Queen Mary.
    Really? A huge difference? I always saw UCL at a very similar reputation to LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxczxc)
    Ditto. =)

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about that anymore, it is useless and as you see other applicants have the same feelings.

ReputationRep:
    tbh that personal statement read very poorly- it was disjointed, contained serveral errors and you clearly tried to use too many big words to make you sound intelligent! but anyway, what does it matter now.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, critizising your PS now is useless, although it seems to me that you need some answers.

All I can tell you is that this part, where you introduce your interests in economics is a bit ... lets say strange.

There I learnt that the knowledge of the policies and mechanisms of Economics is what affects the progress of an economy and how the proper application of this knowledge can do wonders. Macroeconomic stability not only inspired me but also forced me to accept the challenge of opting for an altogether new subject for my A-level studies.
    - First "policies and mechanisms of economics affect an economy", of course, that is so obvious that the sentence is empty, the guy who read it would say "So ...?"

- Second try to avoid that language "can do wonders" does not look very professional.

- Third maybe the guy who read your application is an expert in microeconomics and hates macro, and in any case you are focusing your interest in a small bit of the subject and that is not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    hmm...actuaLLy ... i agree with few of ur points... but im more interested in MACRO ....so thats y im mentioned that
    n about the rest...weLL thats me....what can i do now... but tHx...

(Original post by jovialtom)
    tbh that personal statement read very poorly- it was disjointed, contained serveral errors and you clearly tried to use too many big words to make you sound intelligent! but anyway, what does it matter now.
    wat errors did it contain ....
    n wat big words did i try to join to make myself intelligent ???

i got it checked from many english teachers...includng my koLLege principal...
    they didnt mention any in the final draft .... so enlighten me please abt the errors

ReputationRep:
    Really? A huge difference? I always saw UCL at a very similar reputation to LSE.
    I think he was saying theres a huge difference in reputation between LSE/UCL and QM/RH.

ReputationRep:
    no seriousLy ....
    therez reaLLy a huge difference between these tOo ?????

i alwayz thot that they both are kinda cloze....n acc. to TIMES ...UCL is abuv LSE in ECO

ReputationRep:
    no seriousLy ....
    therez reaLLy a huge difference between these tOo ?????

i alwayz thot that they both are kinda cloze....n acc. to TIMES ...UCL is abuv LSE in ECO
    Sorry, I did not understand a word.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    I think he was saying theres a huge difference in reputation between LSE/UCL and QM/RH.
    of course, sorry. Still all great places though.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't massively relevant, but i just found it interesting to read someone elses personal statement.

I applied Gov and Eco, and as it is too late for applicants now i though I'd share my personal statement.

So far I've been shortlisted, i'll keep you updated..

My perception of the world changed on September the 11th 2001, when I returned home from school to find that a terrorist organisation had attacked the World Trade Centre. The attack destroyed my feeling of security, provoking me to probe and question the world around me in a way I hadn't before and sparking my interest in current affairs. The importance of political decisions and economics soon became apparent, how can the two disciplines be overlooked, when almost every issue or headline from the food on our table to the death of thousands in a terrorist attack, is related to one or both of the subjects?

My favourite area of economics is macro; I particularly enjoy comparing and evaluating the different tools and management strategies that the government can use in controlling the economy. It is interesting to assess not only how different ideas affect the economic climate, but also the political reasons and repercussions of such decisions. I keep up to date with developments within the subject by regularly reading The Economist and David Smith in The Times. For me, one of the most interesting features of Economics is the way in which the theory can be applied to the very simple situations, for example the way that Steven Levitt is able to compare the Klu Klux Klan to Estate agents in his book Freakonomics. However, I look forward to using the skills that I have gained in Mathematics for the more complex, like game theory, at degree level.

Reading books like 'The Wealth and Poverty of Nations' by David Landes has opened my eyes to the global inequality of wealth, and the negative effect that groups like the WTO have on 3rd world countries. I have campaigned to 'Make Poverty History', improving my presentation skills while gaining greater insight into Wyn Grant's ideas on pressure groups by presenting assemblies to the lower school and volunteering in Oxfam. My team work and organisational skills were developed while working as a group of Charity Committee representatives who were asked to organise a human 'Make Poverty History' band around Salisbury Cathedral.

Learning about the reforming agenda that Tony Blair introduced to his party in 1997 motivated me to get involved with the Labour party on the less glamorous local level, and so I have gained insight into local and regional meetings. I enjoyed outlining ideologies like the 3rd Way and conservatism in my AS course, it was interesting to study the core ideas and beliefs behind policy, so developed my understanding by reading 'Political Ideologies: an introduction' by Andrew Heywood. I was lucky enough to be invited to represent my school at the 2005 Dicey Conference at Trinity College Oxford. The two day conference allowed me to explore one of my favourite topics, 'Who rules the UK?', with significant figures and aware students from all over the country. It strengthened my opinion that power and influence has moved from directly accountable institutions like Parliament and the Cabinet to less democratic bodies like the city and the media. This opportunity to discuss with a spectrum of different opinions is mirrored in my school life, where I am an active member of the Debating Society and get the chance to talk to and grill guest speakers at Politics Society.

I have been involved in a unique Student Research programme, where I have led a team of yr 7's towards a presentation to the staff on what we think makes the perfect lesson. In investigating lesson structure, I have gained essential research and presentation skills as well as growing a lot more active in my own learning. I have proved how committed and responsible I am, while perfecting my teamwork and leadership skills by taking on the roles of Head of the Sixth Form Council, a Head of House and a Senior Prefect.

I feel that my passion for both Politics and Economics makes me worthy of a place on a joint course, and I look forward to getting involved in both academic and social aspects of university life.

On reflection, it's quite listy! But i was pleased with it at the time.... so fingers crossed!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2006
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.