Rejected P.S. and Reference Watch

idealz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
thats a nice P.S. dude....
but for me like for internationaL students .....
the structure is kind of different ....
but its a gud P.S.
which UNIz u applied in ?

(Original post by Londo)
Sorry, I did not understand a word.
im sorry ... i meant ..that i alwayz thought that these Universities i.e. UCL and LSE are close in academic strength ..... n therez not much difference between the two....
and i hope there isnt much of a difference between the two...
Londo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by idealz)
im sorry ... i meant ..that i alwayz thought that these Universities i.e. UCL and LSE are close in academic strength ..... n therez not much difference between the two....
and i hope there isnt much of a difference between the two...
I know, what I can't understand is why are you using that language.
Registered _Me
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Londo)
I know, what I can't understand is why are you using that language.
Have you nothing better to do than to make pedantic little remarks on an internet forum?

He's not trying to impress anyone with his amazing command of the English language - the way he is typing is typical of most teenagers on the internet. The meaning of his words/sentences are pretty obvious, so it shouldn't really cause a problem.

:p:

Thank you Idealz. So far i hold offers from Durham, Bristol, Bath, Manchester and Cardiff - just the LSE to hear from!

x
Londo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Registered _Me)
Have you nothing better to do than to make pedantic little remarks on an internet forum?
No.
(Original post by Registered _Me)
He's not trying to impress anyone with his amazing command of the English language - the way he is typing is typical of most teenagers on the internet.
I need a private pension scheme.
Registered _Me
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Londo)
No.

I need a private pension scheme.

Hahaha, Ok then.

Fair 'nuff.
idealz
Rep:
?
yeah its kind of a habit....
dnt worry ... iLL try to keep it to the minimum ....

dude awesum..u got 5 offerz ...thats nice... thumbz up for those...
n gud luk for LSE...
tenjon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am another G&E applicant, shortlisted then rejected oh well - :p: to LSE! I'll add mine to the mix, hopefully it might help someone - this is what a not-good-enough PS looks like!

(Original post by My Personal Statement)
To study politics is to study power. That is why I find the subject so fascinating; it is the study of who holds what power over whom, and why; the analysis of different distributions of power in different societies, their virtues and shortcomings. Politics touches the lives of every person on this planet, and I feel it is a subject that demands my further study.

In order to gain experience of the political mechanism that governs Britain I will be spending several days this November observing the House of Lords. Of the institutions important in British politics, the House of Lords is one whose role is perhaps the most controversial. Many believe that a completely unelected chamber is an anachronism; my mind, however, remains open and I look forward to gaining insight into the debate through this experience.

Similarly, the role of European Union institutions in governing Britain is also the subject of major ongoing debate. Living in the Netherlands whilst studying in the UK, I see myself as a European, and I appreciate the steps taken towards "ever closer union" every time I go home. To develop my interest in the European Union, I spent two weeks working in the Federal Trust, a London-based EU think-tank. There I was able to read several yet-unpublished works on the EU, including a manuscript by the prominent MEP Andrew Duff about the development of the European Constitution. I also spent a week working in the British Embassy in The Hague, which taught me the nature of bilateral relations between EU member states and has interested me in a career at the Foreign Office.

My A Level History course has served as a good introduction to politics; along with English Literature, it has greatly enhanced my essay-writing and textual analysis skills. The study of Sir Robert Peel's repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846, a pivotal moment in British economic policy when Peel split his party through his advocacy of free trade, also stimulated my interest in economics. It was through this topic that I became acquainted with David Ricardo, who as an MP had spoken many times of abolishing the Corn Laws. Books such as 'New Ideas from Dead Economists' by Todd Buchholz and 'The Truth about Markets' by John Kay have increased my interest in economics; I am also a regular reader of 'The Economist', and am taking part in the Bank of England's Target 2.0 competition to further my knowledge.

My Maths A Level course will help me in the study of economics, having helped me learn to think through problems logically and coherently. In this respect I have also been helped by my Religious Studies A Level, particularly the Philosophy module (in which I scored 100% at AS Level) which I found greatly interesting with its focus on rigorous argument.

As both an academic and music scholar, I have had many demands upon my time throughout my school career. Performing at such prestigious venues as the Royal Opera House and St Martin-in-the-Fields is enormously rewarding and enjoyable; as is touring to Prague, Paris, Cologne, Bangkok and the Edinburgh Fringe. I hope to return to Prague this summer, to observe the changes brought with EU membership that have come since my last visit. In addition to my musical commitments, I have represented my school in national debating competitions and Model United Nations, and have rowed and played football for my house.

These diverse interests have taught me to cope with pressure and organise my time efficiently, and I feel I am particularly suited to this degree course which I know will challenge and fascinate me.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
Registered _Me, pretty good PS. Bit geeky for my liking and some of the economics stuff is vague.

tom391, not very well written. Nice extra-curricular balance though.
shanika
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, your PS sounds like you are baosting like hell. No wonder they rejected you!
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have nothing much to contribute, except to say that it's certainly interesting to be able to read the personal statements of fellow G&E applicants. : )

One thing to note is that I placed a much greater emphasis on my co-curricular activity participation in my PS. I skipped writing things like "I enjoy reading The Economist" as I felt that such things were not only passe, but also a default expectation from every applicant for the course.
Eru Lawliet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow it seems to me that my own PS came no where close to the two ps I have read. Man if only I have improved my PS,my application will look stronger when I applied to Oxford.
Essex1985
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shanika)
Well, your PS sounds like you are baosting like hell. No wonder they rejected you!
Frankly tom38043 your personal statement sounds as if you think your an expert already, and I doubt you are. It sounds pretentious and cringy reading it. I'm not suprised they rejected you also. I know you can't understand why they rejected you but I think you should accept you just werent good enough. Full stop.

Ideaz for reasons beyond me some people write like you do on the net all the time. Please stop it, its almost as cringy as Tom878's statement.
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lewis_986)
Frankly tom38043 your personal statement sounds as if you think your an expert already, and I doubt you are. It sounds pretentious and cringy reading it. I'm not suprised they rejected you also. I know you can't understand why they rejected you but I think you should accept you just werent good enough. Full stop.

Ideaz for reasons beyond me some people write like you do on the net all the time. Please stop it, its almost as cringy as Tom878's statement.
Mind showing your PS?
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Deathscythe HG)
Mind showing your PS?
He just did here. : )

I'm not comfortable with posting my own PS just yet.
idealz
Rep:
?
yeah i already have mentioned that i wiLL keep it to the minimum ...
anywayz....does anyone want to share a PURE ECO P.S. L100 .... ???

its aLready too late to apply ... n obviousLy any reasonable guy wont copy ... n even if sumone do ... he wiLL be rejected the next day after applying..
so i personaLLy think its okay to share P.S. n majority of us av got offerz already ...
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah i already have mentioned that i wiLL keep it to the minimum ...
anywayz....does anyone want to share a PURE ECO P.S. L100 .... ???

its aLready too late to apply ... n obviousLy any reasonable guy wont copy ... n even if sumone do ... he wiLL be rejected the next day after applying..
so i personaLLy think its okay to share P.S. n majority of us av got offerz already ...
I doubt he'll be rejected instantly as you described. Admissions tutors read hundreds if not thousands of PSs every application cycle, and unless your PS was mindblowingly impressive, it's probably not going to stick.
idealz
Rep:
?
i feel like as if im writing some other language here than english

KNOGLE ... my point was simply that if for e.g. sumone copies my P.S. which i have posted abuv....firsrtLy ... that guy wiLL b rejected soon if he applies in the same instituitionz as mine with the same P.S. ... secondLy ... its already too late to apply ...big universities donot have any space available....thirdLy no reasonable guy wiLL every copy anotherz P.S.

so its my personal point of view that now i guess its okay for us to share P.S.

i hope im clear now ....
and one of my friend just copied onLy one paragraph from a last years personaL statement and LSE rejected him just in 2 weekz...

P.S. i was saying figurativeLy that he wiLL b rejected the next day .... but wiLL be rejected ....
ba_ba1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i feel like as if im writing some other language here than english

KNOGLE ... my point was simply that if for e.g. sumone copies my P.S. which i have posted abuv....firsrtLy ... that guy wiLL b rejected soon if he applies in the same instituitionz as mine with the same P.S. ... secondLy ... its already too late to apply ...big universities donot have any space available....thirdLy no reasonable guy wiLL every copy anotherz P.S.

so its my personal point of view that now i guess its okay for us to share P.S.

i hope im clear now ....
and one of my friend just copied onLy one paragraph from a last years personaL statement and LSE rejected him just in 2 weekz...

P.S. i was saying figurativeLy that he wiLL b rejected the next day .... but wiLL be rejected ....

yeh but the admin tutors arent gonna remember every PS, and if its a differnt dept then different admin tutors deal with it.
tenjon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well my dear Lewis_986 (or rather should I say Lewis9867643), I did think you would enjoy reading my Personal Statement, especially after you sent me that lovely PM congratulating me on my rejection. What a classy guy you are.

I'm sorry if you thought I was boasting; I just wrote it attempting to make myself stand out as much as possible (as, surely, everyone does when writing their PS?). I have fully accepted that I did not stand out enough to be accepted, and believe there's no point trying to 'understand' why I was rejected - as you say, I should just get on with it.

I did not post it as an excercise in vanity, I was just hoping to help future applicants by giving an example of a PS that was not successful. I hope you enjoyed fuelling your own ego by generalising and insulting it (and me). I know you have a severe dislike to me because apparantly I am an "oxford-offer boasting ****" (according to your PM), but I hope most people who read the debate recognised that I was neither boastful nor bitter (as a result of a lack of an LSE offer).

As for you, I am not convinced on either count; I believe you have been both boastful about your LSE acceptance and bitter about your double Oxford rejection.

Anyways, I hope more open-minded people will benefit from my PS and comment on it in a constructive manner. Congratulations on all who got in to the LSE, it is a fantastic place and who knows, I might apply there for a master's :p:
Symphonyinblue
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry, I got rejected from there despite having wroked in the shadow chancellor's office. got into a better uni though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads