The Student Room Group

Alternative to school

I left sixth form last month due to anxiety issues that I've had since childhood. Thus meaning I haven't completed A levels and cannot get into University.

However, a dream job for me would be a paramedic which now requires a degree in paramedic science. Is there any way of being able to go to university to complete this course without going back to school? For example, home tutoring.
Reply 1
What about doing A-levels in college?
Reply 2
You could do a one-year Access to Higher Education course at college. Mostly adults or tweens doing it so the atmosphere would be very different from school, which you might like.

You could also do A-Levels by distance learning or you could do some courses with the OU which MIGHT be accepted by some universities for admissions. In this case you have to ask EVERY university you want to apply to beforehand if they will consider this and which courses they think are acceptable. What one university might accept may not be accepted by another.

OU also offers a degree in paramedic science for which you would have to get sponsored though, i.e. you would need to get employed as an ambulance assistant or sth like that first, and then ask your employer to sponsor you for a degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by llys
You could do a one-year Access to Higher Education course at college. Mostly adults or tweens doing it so the atmosphere would be very different from school, which you might like.

You could also do A-Levels by distance learning or you could do some courses with the OU which MIGHT be accepted by some universities for admissions. In this case you have to ask EVERY university you want to apply to beforehand if they will consider this and which courses they think are acceptable. What one university might accept may not be accepted by another.

OU also offers a degree in paramedic science for which you would have to get sponsored though, i.e. you would need to get employed as an ambulance assistant or sth like that first, and then ask your employer to sponsor you for a degree.

Hi,

I want to second the same question (kind of) as the poster. I am wanting to apply to university with an Open University Diploma of Higher Education to study paramedic science. People have led me to think that there is no reason why universities would not accept this because I have basically taught myself 2/3 of a degree, which shows great self-motivation. I have no other way of getting into this profession. Emergency care assistant jobs and ambulance technician jobs are few and far between. Getting one of these jobs THEN asking the ambulance trust to sponsor me on a degree could take years and it is also a long shot. Studying at my local university is really my only option.

I am excited about finally doing something with my life but I am worried the DipHE Open will not be accepted. I have emailed universities asking them but I am fidgeting in my seat not knowing until next week. I am excited at the concept but scared because the opportunity could be taken away.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Validate
Hi,

I want to second the same question (kind of) as the poster. I am wanting to apply to university with an Open University Diploma of Higher Education to study paramedic science. People have led me to think that there is no reason why universities would not accept this because I have basically taught myself 2/3 of a degree, which shows great self-motivation. I have no other way of getting into this profession. Emergency care assistant jobs and ambulance technician jobs are few and far between. Getting one of these jobs THEN asking the ambulance trust to sponsor me on a degree could take years and it is also a long shot. Studying at my local university is really my only option.

I am excited about finally doing something with my life but I am worried the DipHE Open will not be accepted. I have emailed universities asking them but I am fidgeting in my seat not knowing until next week. I am excited at the concept but scared because the opportunity could be taken away.

Unfortunately that's not possible. You have to be employed to do this Diploma/Foundation degree. It is an entry requirement - OU will not allow you to do the Diploma without it.. That's because half or so of the degree is work-based.

You could email the OU and ask them which employers have previously sponsored people through the degree, and then go from there. But yes, I agree it won't be easy to get a post.

If you want to do other OU courses for university entry you could try
S104 Exploring Science (60 points)
SK277 Human Biology (30 points)
and another 30 points course.
I've seen this combination accepted for Medicine - but it does very strongly vary from university to university what they will accept so you must make sure with the universities first.
Reply 5
Original post by llys
Unfortunately that's not possible. You have to be employed to do this Diploma/Foundation degree. It is an entry requirement - OU will not allow you to do the Diploma without it.. That's because half or so of the degree is work-based.

You could email the OU and ask them which employers have previously sponsored people through the degree, and then go from there. But yes, I agree it won't be easy to get a post.

If you want to do other OU courses for university entry you could try
S104 Exploring Science (60 points)
SK277 Human Biology (30 points)
and another 30 points course.
I've seen this combination accepted for Medicine - but it does very strongly vary from university to university what they will accept so you must make sure with the universities first.

No, no, no, no, no! That is not what I meant. I want to apply to Hallam with an Open Uni DipHE. I am undergoing training for the NHS and I have applied for St John Ambulance. The NHS were willing to be my work place mentors for the OPEN UNI Paramedic Sciences but unfortunately there are other criteria I do not meet. I have made a lot of calls to the Open Uni about their Foundation Degree and no one can answer my question (of what is a suitable placement to have). Plus, I would prefer a full-time course.

What I was asking you was will another actual brick university accept an Open Uni DipHE as entry to a paramedic course?

Sorry for the confusion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh, well, I imagine some would accept it. You might not even need a DipHE - I'm sure CertHE would be enough for some. Again, depending on what courses it consists of.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by llys
Oh, well, I imagine some would accept it. You might not even need a DipHE - I'm sure CertHE would be enough for some. Again, depending on what courses it consists of.

I would prefer to study a DipHE. All I have to do is study two modules along side one another from October '12 - June '13 this year.

Technically, when I finish my module next month. I will have enough points to claim the CertHE, but I would prefer to study the DipHE as I will be really bored for the next year.

My Open DipHE includes two arts modules and one health science module and one health and social care module. I am also studying a short course on its own in May about medicine and drugs. I have also arranged with my local trust to volunteer in various places within the hospital and I am hoping to volunteer with SJA (after they get back to me regarding my application).

I hope my ability to self-study and motivate will stand out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Sounds good, though they may prefer more science in there. Good luck & Let me know what the uni replies if you have time. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest