This discussion is closed.
pruts
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hello, What would be the inequalitie for the following problem,

A company can produce up to 10 truckloads per hour of X or up to 5 truckloads per hour of Y.

cheers
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
X <= 10, Y <= 5.
ILoveMaths
Report 16 years ago
I wish i was you, ur soooooooooooooo cool, maths is really cool? er.. no it isn't. When I'm older I actually want to be like u lot!!!! UR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pruts
(Original post by Nylex)
X <= 10, Y <= 5.
Hello, Did you mean to say the |X| <= 10. and |Y|<=5 or just as how you have written before.

cheers
JamesF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why would you need the modulus signs? The company cant produce negative amounts.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pruts)
Hello, Did you mean to say the |X| <= 10. and |Y|<=5 or just as how you have written before.

cheers
the company cant produce e.g. -7 goods per truckload, can they? (unless they are producing electric charges or antimatter)
pruts
(Original post by elpaw)
the company cant produce e.g. -7 goods per truckload, can they? (unless they are producing electric charges or antimatter)
Hello, Is it necessary to include 0 as the company could produce no Loads of X or Y .

cheers
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pruts)
Hello, Is it necessary to include 0 as the company could produce no Loads of X or Y .

cheers
yes, so the inequalities are 0<=x<=10 0<=y<=5

but are x and y linked in some way? for example, is 2 lots of x equal to one lot of y? so if they are producing 8 truckloads of x, they can only produce 1 truckload of y?
pruts
(Original post by elpaw)
yes, so the inequalities are 0<=x<=10 0<=y<=5

but are x and y linked in some way? for example, is 2 lots of x equal to one lot of y? so if they are producing 8 truckloads of x, they can only produce 1 truckload of y?
At this stage of the production I can deduce from the question that they are not related. But later on

they give you limits ie The trucks available can carry up to 6 loads of X per hour or up to 10 loads per hour of Y .
and so for this phase they require to work out the inequalities again. ( truck capacity measurement)

Final phase, it says no more then 7 loads per hour can be handled at the loading phase of the operation. They want inequalitiy for this as well( loading phase)

and the profit per truckload of X is $40 and per trucload of Y is $60.

cheers
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pruts)

A company can produce up to 10 truckloads per hour of X or up to 5 truckloads per hour of Y.

cheers
He said or, so I think this would be correct.

0< x + 2y <= 10
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
He said or, so I think this would be correct.

0< x + 2y <= 10
but then or could be strictly or. i e he can only produce x or y, not both at the same time.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm assuming that x takes half the work to produce than y. You're correct, but you have to make that assumption, because the word or means that two seperate inequalities for x and y won't ever work. x could be 10 and y could be 5 according to the first solution, which is clearly wrong.

I'm assuming there is a linear relationship.
pruts
(Original post by elpaw)
but then or could be strictly or. i e he can only produce x or y, not both at the same time.
Hello, The question asks to work out inequalities at each seperate production phases.

1) THe company can produce up to 10 truck loads of X per hour or up to 5 truckloads per hour of Y.

2) The trucks available can carry up to 6 loads of X per hour or up to 10 loads per hour of Y .
and so for this phase they require to work out the inequalities again. ( truck capacity measurement)

3)Final phase, it says no more then 7 loads per hour can be handled at the loading phase of the operation. They want inequalitiy for this as well( loading phase)

I think that the question implies 'AND' in statistical terms ie X AND Y can be produced. t

so therefore would the inequality 0< x + 2y <= 10 be ok for 1st phase.

chhers
pruts
Hello, Please sum1 clarify.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pruts)

cheers
0 <= x <= 10 OR 0 <= y <= 5
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (185)
33.45%
Receiving them online / by email (275)
49.73%
I still don't know (93)
16.82%

Watched Threads