Higher Modern studies predictions

Watch this thread
sophierae
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello the exam is a month away, anyone got any predictions yet?
closey95
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
I got an A in the prelim but I was practically told the questions. I'm hoping to do just as good though but there's way too many facts and figures to memorise.
sophierae
Rep:
I got a C in the prelim. I am actually terrible at Modern Studies, it's unreal! Any tips?
closey95
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I just typed up all my notes and revised them like mad. It also helps to do essay plans so you can pick out the best information for every subtopic.
scottish19
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
These are only my guesses on the basis of past papers in recent years

Study Theme A4: Electoral Systems and influences
Either something to do with the media OR a question specific to FPTP e.g. “FPTP is the fairest and best electoral system for representation. Discuss”
Study Theme B5/6
Gender/ethnic inequalities improving
Founding principles of the welfare state
Health inequalities
Study Theme C9
The President and his powers
Election campaigns (participation)
Distribution patterns of ethnic minorities
Study Theme C11: Politics of development
Aid and development
closey95
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Also, the head of social subjects at my school writes exam papers (though she done int 2 this year) and says that 1A will most likely be to do with local councils because it's not been up for a while and they like to link questions with current affairs such as the council elections.
sophierae
Rep:
Yea what you said are basically the predictions my teacher gave!
A4: Electoral Systems - possibly FPTP v AMS?
B5/6: Gender/Ethnic inequalities, Wealth and health link, Founding principals of the welfare state, Collectivism v Individulism
C9: Ethnic Minority Participation, The powers of the president
C11: she thinks Aid and development are highly likely to be in it!
scottish19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
What are we all thinking about the DME? Any topics you think are going to appear in the 2012 paper?

There seems to be a pattern of one year health then one year health. So is health due up this year

2011 - National Minimum Wage
2010 - Well Man Clinics
2009 - gender inequalities
2008 - prescriptions
2007 - ESA (employment support)

Something to do with alcohol minimum price or smoking ban or tax on unhealthy food or free school meals for all? Any other ideas?
closey95
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scottish19)
What are we all thinking about the DME? Any topics you think are going to appear in the 2012 paper?

There seems to be a pattern of one year health then one year health. So is health due up this year

2011 - National Minimum Wage
2010 - Well Man Clinics
2009 - gender inequalities
2008 - prescriptions
2007 - ESA (employment support)

Something to do with alcohol minimum price or smoking ban or tax on unhealthy food or free school meals for all? Any other ideas?
Oh, I so hope it's free school meals. That was my prelim
scottish19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
For question B5 or B6 are we thinking the Welfare State? It hasn't came up in a few years and it links in with the shake up of the benefits system under the new 'Universal Credit' which has began to be implimented this year and the SQA like to relate question to current events. However it is fairly new and maybe they will keep this question till next year when it has been almost fully introduced. So gender/ethnic inequalities is the other topic I think they may ask about this year. Anyone else thinking otherwise?
Brad22
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scottish19)
For question B5 or B6 are we thinking the Welfare State? It hasn't came up in a few years and it links in with the shake up of the benefits system under the new 'Universal Credit' which has began to be implimented this year and the SQA like to relate question to current events. However it is fairly new and maybe they will keep this question till next year when it has been almost fully introduced. So gender/ethnic inequalities is the other topic I think they may ask about this year. Anyone else thinking otherwise?
Yeah I think you are spot on. My teacher thinks something on the Welfare state is ready to show again- ...such as

'to what extent are the founding principles of the welfare state being met'

What are your predictions for Africa... I think its quite tricky to see what might come up!
scottish19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Brad22)
Yeah I think you are spot on. My teacher thinks something on the Welfare state is ready to show again- ...such as

What are your predictions for Africa... I think its quite tricky to see what might come up!
Africa question C11 I guess you're talking about?

I am thinking something along the lines of the lines of "To what extent does aid provide for successful development in Africa" so a question particular to aid where by discussing how aid has helped but also the other factors which still exist.

In relation to your teacher predicting a welfare state principle question, I think that they will probably just twist that question and make it to something like "The founding principles of the welfare state are still being met today. Discuss."
br3smith110
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Anyone got any predictions for the question on China this year?
scottish19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Brad22)

If not a question to do with aid, I would maybe think African Union (AU)?
sophierae
Rep:
(Original post by closey95)
Also, the head of social subjects at my school writes exam papers (though she done int 2 this year) and says that 1A will most likely be to do with local councils because it's not been up for a while and they like to link questions with current affairs such as the council elections.
Did she have any other predictions?
KCosmo
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
My old school was crazy good at predicting the questions that were going to come up, for three years in a row they correctly predicted all but one of the questions for each year :O
sophierae
Rep:
(Original post by KCosmo)
My old school was crazy good at predicting the questions that were going to come up, for three years in a row they correctly predicted all but one of the questions for each year :O
Ha, what was your old school?
daviddd!1994
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I got an A at the prelim but I really don't think I can repeat that performance :/
scottish19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by daviddd!1994)
I got an A at the prelim but I really don't think I can repeat that performance :/
I'm sure you'll be fine. The thing with modern is that there is only so many questions that they can ask you and that means they just reword previous ones, so sure you'll be able to get your A in the final exam. Positive attitude helps.
closey95
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sophiemcbarron)
Did she have any other predictions?
Not that she's mentioned yet unfortunately
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (67)
66.34%
No (26)
25.74%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
7.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed