This discussion is closed.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by andyreid)
yeah but they are doing the city centre up at the moment,trust me its the future leeds
The city centre is, effective for what you need - main shopping areas being Far Gate, and the Moor, and anything else you need you will find a tram ride away at Meadowhall.

For whoever said the city is smoggy; I don't know where that came from - the University area is clean, has great views over towards the Northern end of the city, where you can see the Ski Slopes.

From Broomhill, which is the main living area in the first year, you can, on a good day see for miles all around - I can see Don Valley from the top of Broomhill - and from there you are just 4 miles from the Peak District which makes a great ride on Wednesday afternoons (Keeping Wednesdays free for Sport), and on Fridays, when you normally finish a little earlier than normal.

I have no quibbles about living here, yes the city isn't big on the scales of Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, but it is certainly a great city to live in, with a great nightlife - I cant count the number of pubs on West Street and Division Street/Devonshire Quarter, but after having a pint in each I know you've had enough particularly as one of those pubs is the Frog & Parrot (Actually meaningful to anyone in Sheffield!)

Gatecrasher, Bed, Leadmill, Kingdom, Corporation are the 5 major nightclubs.

Sheffield Union host nights in their venues, Tuesday (Tuesday Club), Wednesday (Juice), Thursday (Fuzz Club & Bleach), Friday (Frouk & Diversion), Saturday (Pop Tarts), with Monday night being Sheffield Union night at Gatecrasher (Girls versus Boys).

Sports & Leisure facilities are well supported, with Ponds Forge being the International Sports Centre, with Olympic sized pool, and a great fun pool. (Sheffield Uni has its own pool too - Cofield Pool). This venue hosts the Westfield Sheffield Sharks basketball team.

The Hallam FM Arena hosts numerous concerts a year, along with the Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey club.

IceSheffield, is a great venue for skating, with 2 rinks.

The English Institute for Sport, hosts various sporting events, basketball, volleyball, netball, and recently hosted the AAA Indoor Athletics Trials which were hosted on the BBC.

Sheffield United FC, more at the Hallam end of the city - with Sheffield Wednesday FC closer to University, being at Hillsborough.

Sheffield Eagles RLFC, play at Don Valley Stadium, which also hosts outdoor track & field.

The outdoor ski slopes, are a great facility and is well recommended for anyone to try at least once whilest they are in Sheffield studying.
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hohum)
I know loads of people at Sheffield and they LOVE it. The whole thing with it being industrial is partly true, but the uni precinct is in the nicer area. Also more students stay on in Sheffield than any other uni after their degree...which can't be a bad thing! From what I've heard about Cardiff is that its got a posh new surface with all the spanking new water front places but its nothing special and a little bit shallow. But thats just what I've heard so don't quote me.

Also Sheffield was ranked top in the Virgin's Alternative guide to unis which ranks the uni's social life and city...

Also Sheffield's growing as a place and becoming an exciting City to live in...I'm hopefully going there to study psychology in Sept 2005 after my gap year...but i also applied to Cardiff, but the small student population and expensive living costs put me off.

What course are you applying for?
I'm planning to study Town & Country Planning (which doesn't seem to be a very popular course with people on this board! ), for which Sheffield is highly ranked in the tables. Cardiff claims to be tops in the UK in this field though.
What do you mean by Cardiff being shallow?
Another thing...someone on the board said there was actually a larger student population in Cardiff so I'm a bit confused there, and somehow I had the impression that Cardiff was cheaper than Sheffield.... of course, I don't really know, which is why I made the original post in the first place
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Interesting reading... *sighs* I still don't know about Sheffield I'm really anxious to make the right choice as I don't want to spend the next three years kicking myself because I should have gone to Liverpool instead... meh. Hopefully after my interview in Liverpool next week I will have made up my mind!
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
andyreid ... just a quick question for u. How would you say sheffield compares to nottingham?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I used to live in Wales and go to Cardiff on occasion and I dont think the nightlife was any better than Sheffield, Cardiff is merging with the college of medicine this year which will make the uni population bigger but Cardiff has about 12,366 undergrads and 3,296 postgrads Sheffield has 15,184 undergrads and 3834 postgrads (according to the Sunday Times university guide. Bearing in mind that Sheffield also has Hallam University which have another 16,533 undergrads and 1,654 postgrads then Sheffield definitely has more students.

The Virgin Alternative University Guide has ranked Sheffield as number one more than once. The students union and sports facilities are one of the best if not the best in the country.
andyreid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by trinigyal)
andyreid ... just a quick question for u. How would you say sheffield compares to nottingham?

well,nottingham city centre is bigger,and sheffield shopping centres not actually in the city centre,whether thats a advantage or disadvantage i dont know

crime wise nottingham destroys sheffield,sheffield has great bars and clubs ie bed or kingdom

plus its union is brilliant,i visisted a m8 to watch the england germany game and the union facilities are amazing,and the girls are fit to

you will prob be put round the broomhill area in the first year,which is a very pleasent place,plus its only walking distant to the city centre

crime in sheffield is not bad at all being statistically safer than oxford and cambridge plus the more dodgy areas are actually on the outshirts of the city(the steel areas) and they are not that bad at all

i played pool at the manor top rileys for example

i reccomend sheffield very highly,and its cheap as well,so great standard of living
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cardiff is a lovely place! Very student friendly and everything is labeled in two languages, which I find strangely fascinating. Ther Union calls itself "the biggest and best" and it is cheap to live here. And if you stay at Talybont Halls in the first year you are right next to the most massive Tescos!
TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I realise this thread trailed off about a week ago but I've just seen it and thought I'd offer my thoughts to anyone thinking of coming to Sheffield.
I've lived here all 18 years of my life and think it's a brilliant city to live in. I'll just go through all the basics for people who are thinking of coming here.

Sport - Sheffield recently held the Student Games as well as being given millions of pounds to develop it's sports facilities. There is a huge brand new ice rink, at least three large public swimming pools, Sheffield Arena for Ice Hockey (as well as popular bands), Don Valley stadium for Rugby and various other sports, the largest Dry Ski Slope in Europe which is brilliant and extremely popular for people from all over the UK. There is also two 'good' football teams (Sheffield United might go up to the Premiership this season if we're lucky). Overall, sport is huge here. We've developed from a huge industrial city to much more a sports and recreational one. Any ideas that the place is smoggy should be ignored - this isn't the 19th century!

Nightlife - There are loads of bars, many of which are student orientated and offer good deals etc. West Street is the main hub of action on Friday and Saturday nights. There's everything from trendy modern bars to both 80s and 70s themed bars/clubs. Walkabout is a brilliant place - full of big tvs and an australian theme. On the club side of things, the city doesn't do quite as well - Bed, which has been mentioned previously on this thread has recently closed (apparently forever). There's still Gatecrasher for the more trendy, middle-of-the-road people, Corporation for the grungy rockers, Kingdom (which I've been told to avoid) and a couple of others but generally, if you prefer clubs to bars, you may be disappointed unless you find the less commercial bar/clubs which are actually better like the Casbah.

Shopping - Meadowhall is a great place to shop but unfortunately, that's what everyone thinks so never try going on a Sunday unless you want to feel very crushed. Sheffield city centre has pretty much all the shops you really need ie. a big Virgin, Debenhams, Topman/Topshop, Dixons etc. There is also the Devonshire Green area where all the more trendy, boutiquey shops are. There's Arc, Brother2Brother (very expensive!), Alley etc. as well as the popular Forum shopping precinct which has everything for the more... individual among us. (The forum also has a good bar with a dancefloor at night time - one of my faves). The city centre is still having a huge makeover. There's already a new 'Peace Gardens' which is a great place to sunbathe with fountains and water features in the summer and it's in the middle of the city centre - not many cities have that. There's also the new Millennium Gardens which is basically a huge extravagant greenhouse which is free to go in and very peaceful.

One advantage of Sheffield is that you can be in the beautiful peak district within about 10 minutes of most areas. You can get a bus to Castleton to look is the famous caves etc. Basically, there's loads to do here for all different tastes and it really is a friendly place. There's the famous Yorkshire hospitality where everyone's just really nice. Students fit in really well hear and there's loads of student accommodation.

Overall, Sheffield is a great place and I would advise anyone thinking of coming here to definitely come and see it for yourself.

Any questions, I'll do my best to reply.
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
I realise this thread trailed off about a week ago but I've just seen it and thought I'd offer my thoughts to anyone thinking of coming to Sheffield.
I've lived here all 18 years of my life and think it's a brilliant city to live in. I'll just go through all the basics for people who are thinking of coming here.

Sport - Sheffield recently held the Student Games as well as being given millions of pounds to develop it's sports facilities. There is a huge brand new ice rink, at least three large public swimming pools, Sheffield Arena for Ice Hockey (as well as popular bands), Don Valley stadium for Rugby and various other sports, the largest Dry Ski Slope in Europe which is brilliant and extremely popular for people from all over the UK.

Any questions, I'll do my best to reply.
Are you at a university in Sheffield now? Also... could you give me some idea of how much it would cost to use these facilities - esp the ice rink and swimming pools. Thanks alot
Shellspeare
Report 16 years ago
Sheffield is welcoming and extremly student friendly. having 2 universitys means there is something for every student every night pah @ cardiff
TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by trinigyal)
Are you at a university in Sheffield now? Also... could you give me some idea of how much it would cost to use these facilities - esp the ice rink and swimming pools. Thanks alot
No, I'm not at uni here. Just been here all my life. I'm off to Manchester in September for uni. I believe the facilities are pretty good value. Maybe £3-4 for swimming but you can probably get a sort of membership card. There are also loads of gyms with swimming pools you can become a member of. As for ice skating, there are 2 rinks - one is the old quite run down one where all the townies go which is probably dirt cheap. the other one is almost brand new so may be a bit more expensive but they'll probably do a student deal.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey Trinigyal! i'm from Trini as well lol.
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
Hey Trinigyal! i'm from Trini as well lol.
Really? That's great! Which part? You still here or yuh gone foreign? PM me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (2)
4.88%
Confident (6)
14.63%
Indifferent (2)
4.88%
Unsure (8)
19.51%
Worried (23)
56.1%

Watched Threads