Oxbridge boat race on ITV?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Very gracefully put, Alex R. Who do you row for???
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Hmm, technically though 'sculling' is still rowing.
NO IT'S NOT!!!
It has come to be REFERRED TO as rowing in the same way that Frankenstein's monster has come to be labelled 'Frankenstein' by ill-informed people, but it is in fact not.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm, I dropped in today and this argument amuses me. Joey - there is a way to take the piss out of boaties, we're (by we I mean non-boaties) all good at it, but that is not it. Calling them poofs isn't a good start. This was also a bad time to pick a fight as it's bumps week which means über-boatie-craziness round here. Hell, even I might go and watch sometime :eek:

Alex rows for Christ's, Hildabeast - bad luck on the bumps! Oooh, our women's first boat bumped today - hurray for my friends. Shame about the 2nds
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Hmmm, I dropped in today and this argument amuses me. Joey - there is a way to take the piss out of boaties, we're (by we I mean non-boaties) all good at it, but that is not it. Calling them poofs isn't a good start. This was also a bad time to pick a fight as it's bumps week which means über-boatie-craziness round here. Hell, even I might go and watch sometime :eek:

Alex rows for Christ's, Hildabeast - bad luck on the bumps! Oooh, our women's first boat bumped today - hurray for my friends. Shame about the 2nds
Lol. I still stand by the arguement that in general a rugby player could take a rower anyday Only a fool would say rowing is tougher than rugby league physically.

The thing is I would make a very good rower. I have the body and the fitness levels for it. If I was to choose which sport I think I had less chance of getting hurt in, I know which I would choose. Puffs
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol. I still stand by the arguement that in general a rugby player could take a rower anyday Only a fool would say rowing is tougher than rugby league physically.
Well you lot can beat each other with your handbags all day if you want; you'll never win. Rowing is supposed to be the most physically exhausting sport around, although it is in much shorter doses than rugby.

Can I just say though - playing on with broken bones isn't "tough," it's stupid. :rolleyes:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol, perhaps but when your a very important player to your team in a very important game, you put your body on the line for the cause knowing without you, your team could lose. There is a sign in the gym at Wigan. Pain is temporary, victory is forever.
Permanent joint/bone/muscle/ligament damage is forever too
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps. But didnt Jesus Christ die to save us all... lol.
I see; we're now comparing rugby with the Passion. Nice one.

Maybe it's the medic in me - pushing yourself even when you're in pain, I can understand, but forcing yourself onwards when you're only making things worse and worse, just seems bloody stupid. The stuff the gymnasts at my school (tragically, the sport we were best at) put themselves through every day, and the state their bodies will be in in a few decades makes me cringe...
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hehe!!! I just found out I'm going to watch the Henley Boat Race this year - WOOHOO!!! Will anyone be there???
Also if anyone happens to catch the women's race the week before, make sure you shout loud for the Oxford crew as a Hilda's girl is their stroke apparently.
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
No, that's called sculling. When you say 'One person can win' I assumed you were referring to rowing. :confused:
ha ha

Joey_Johns = dumbass
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (147)
24.66%
Better than expected (129)
21.64%
Worse than expected (320)
53.69%

Watched Threads