The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Game Art Design at De Montfort 2012

Scroll to see replies

Im ment to be finishing my FMP this week but I'm too busy procrastinating with Assassin's Creed D: It's way too addictive!
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Luckily for me Assassins creed is currently out of reach, as my xbox keeps telling me I have an Unreadable disc. (The disc is fine, i lent it to a friend ;/)
I have a mechanics exam tomorrow, but I dropped physics for a reason, I am dreadful at it.
Reply 62

Aw this was so cute, I loved the choice in music it went really well with your animation!
I also noticed you have a Reading/Leeds wristband!! Haha, I've been to the Leeds one 2006, 2011 and going again this year, are you? :biggrin:

Original post by Ben_M
There's a materials shop in the art block and its fairly cheap.

Oh cool that's great! Will have to have a little snoop around when I get there.. dreading the thought of dragging my portfolio folders around though haha

Original post by Jak Warne
Who on this page is actually starting Game art in 2012 =)

Hello, yep I'm deffo starting in September (still can't actually believe it! - but yes, can't wait to meet you guys)!

Hi Clarky_carrot, good luck with your exams!
Yessss Amnesia!! Oh my god what a scary game!? There's something about it that keeps making me return to it - but I'm so terrified of it haha!!

I'm really happy for Frictional Games to join up with The Chinese Room for 'A Machine for Pigs'; they have done some decent mods and I really loved 'Dear Esther', as depressing as it was (depending on how you look at it?).

Is everyone getting excited for Summer? :biggrin:
I too am incredibly excited for a machine for pigs.
I blame it on the thrill of the monsters, always brings me back. Followed by death being my favourite custom story for its amazing guitar opening!
Quick question to anyone who knows, do they take general studies for this course?
Also, any opinions on this. My conditional letter was set out as the following:

To include:
260 points from 2 a levels...

GCE A Level
Grade c

To include an art/design subject.

Do you think this means i need the c in art or just in general? My observational skills are def good enough to start this course, but I am worried if i get a d.

Hence im stressing, not excited.
P.s i apologise for any typos. I am on my phone.
Reply 64
Hi guys. Ewan here, saw the thread so thought I'd introduce myself.

I'll hopefully be starting the course in September too. :biggrin: I'm moving down from Scotland to Leicester so it's a bit of a journey , but I think the course looks fantastic, I'm dying to start!

I've sorted my accommodation the other day, so I'm kicking about the Victoria Halls.
Reply 65
Original post by Kattah
That's really reassuring haha, I was predicting many future ragequits for the 3D stuff but that's good to know!
Do you ever get tutorials or lectures from designers in the industry (separate from tutors)?

Sometimes people from studios come in to have talks or tutorials, and afterwards they sometimes spend some time in the lab to give those who want it some one on one time. We had some guys from Codemasters come in for a tutorial recently to give us a tutorial on character design when we worked with a fish theme, and as an example on how we could collect texture reference they brought whole raw fish from the supermarket. Crazy stuff.

Original post by Kattah

Hey thanks for posting!
This is why I'm glad I work in a camping shop, I feel like I can be half-prepared for all the outdoors stuff - I'm in my city centre most of the time so it should be a good experience! From what I've seen from previous years' artwork the Leicester countryside looks gorgeous!

Do you know where the best art supply shops are in town, or are there any on campus?

We have an art supply store on campus in the Fletcher tower, mezanine floor. The selection isn't brilliant, but it's cheap and they'll have most of the basic stuff. The other store is Dominoe's (the toy store, not the pizza place) in town, where you also get a small student discount. Their selection is pretty good and often they'll stock the stuff they don't have if you ask for it.
Reply 66
Original post by Kattah
I'm really happy for Frictional Games to join up with The Chinese Room for 'A Machine for Pigs'; they have done some decent mods and I really loved 'Dear Esther', as depressing as it was (depending on how you look at it?).

Is everyone getting excited for Summer? :biggrin:

sorry I didn't get to replying earlier, I had exams/a level art deadline last week, I literally did not sleep for two days in a row. Now I developed this weird cough, I sound like a heavy smoker. :L
And can I just say, wow about the concept of your final piece! I have a feeling the industry is going to love you and your imaginative thinking! ;p

Original post by Clarky_carrot
Hey guys! Hoping myself to start this coming September (as long as i get the grades.) If not its off to Leeds! Although I do hope I get into De Montford as the course looks absolutely amazing.

I look forward to meeting you all. Im (stuck) in the liberty park accommodation as Victoria was fully booked.

A quick summary: First and foremost I am ginger. I feel like people need a warning to this fact.

I am obsessed with Amnesia the dark descent, good for a scare! Assassins creed, Skyrim, Minecraft and Halo along with many more. Sorry, not such a fan of CoD. Although I am actually quite a quiet person I am very laid back and enjoy procrastinating my current work, Im sure those who take maths would agree with me.

Hello there! I'm from Ireland, being ginger is really not a big deal at all over here, so don't worry, when it comes to me I don't need any warnings haha! :tongue:
I loooooove Assassin's Creed! The new one looks pretty cool, I'm kinda hoping the next one will be set in a Victorian London, how cool would that be? Wearing suits and top hats, killing people with hidden blades in canes... ;D
I'm not a big fan of CoD either. RPGs for the win! I love Skyrim, anything by Bioware really, Fallout, Half Life 2, Portal etc. I got Rage recently but it's so buggy it won't even turn on. Some guy on some forum said 'they called it rage because that's what you experience once it installs' haha :L

I'm quite quiet myself, until you get to know me (how cliche...). I'm just incredibly bad with faces and names haha I still don't know some peoples names in my yeargroup... :tongue:

Original post by ewan_mc
Hi guys. Ewan here, saw the thread so thought I'd introduce myself.

I'll hopefully be starting the course in September too. :biggrin: I'm moving down from Scotland to Leicester so it's a bit of a journey , but I think the course looks fantastic, I'm dying to start!

I've sorted my accommodation the other day, so I'm kicking about the Victoria Halls.

Hi Ewan! I'm moving from Northern Ireland, so it's a bit of a journey too! Better get ready for it. ;D
I'm super excited for the course. I'm in Victoria Halls too, C-9-3. :biggrin:
Hey,
Thought i'd say a quick hello to you guys. Im currently enrolled on the course.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have honestly.

Hope exams go well and you all have a good summer.

If not I guess I will see you hanging around the labs sometime. :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
I too am incredibly excited for a machine for pigs.
I blame it on the thrill of the monsters, always brings me back. Followed by death being my favourite custom story for its amazing guitar opening!
Quick question to anyone who knows, do they take general studies for this course?
Also, any opinions on this. My conditional letter was set out as the following:

To include:
260 points from 2 a levels...

GCE A Level
Grade c

To include an art/design subject.

Do you think this means i need the c in art or just in general? My observational skills are def good enough to start this course, but I am worried if i get a d.

Hence im stressing, not excited.
P.s i apologise for any typos. I am on my phone.

If it makes you feel better there are people on the course who failed A level art and still got on.

I really dont think grades matter that much, it may sound silly but I got 360 ucas points and that didnt contribute to me being accepted.

I think at interview there are aspect's of the person that the interviewer like such as good attitude etc...

So please dont worry. :wink:
Reply 69
Original post by Ravien
Hi Ewan! I'm moving from Northern Ireland, so it's a bit of a journey too! Better get ready for it. ;D
I'm super excited for the course. I'm in Victoria Halls too, C-9-3. :biggrin:

I'm in E-14-1 myself but I'll mabye bump into you in the Halls, I'm buzzing for the next AC too, although the last one I played was ACII. It'll be fun to go back to being an assassin after playing Skyrim and ME3 for so long.

cheers for the friend request as well :smile: much appreciated!
I'm trying my best not to worry, bit I don't want to get my hopes up too much either. I'm one of those girls who, once I see what I want I don't care for anything else. :wink:
I'm certain I will get the points, but I moved to a new school to study my A levels. It's are was very advance compared to mine as it was a low budget school. I still do not know half the stuff they learnt in year nine, let alone A level. :biggrin:

Finally got a new (preowned) xbox from Game! Plugged it in and... Had three red lights. :/
Back to the shop you go!
I'm trying my best not to worry, bit I don't want to get my hopes up too much either. I'm one of those girls who, once I see what I want I don't care for anything else. :wink:

I can relate to that. Focusing on your dreams is never a bad thing. Even if the rest of the world ceases to exist.

Finally got a new (preowned) xbox from Game! Plugged it in and... Had three red lights. :/
Back to the shop you go!

Bad xbox , you'd have thought they would test them first! :smile:
Reply 72
Hello ewan_mc and quadrophenia, thanks for joining in!:^_^:

Original post by Applethief
Sometimes people from studios come in to have talks or tutorials, and afterwards they sometimes spend some time in the lab to give those who want it some one on one time. We had some guys from Codemasters come in for a tutorial recently to give us a tutorial on character design when we worked with a fish theme, and as an example on how we could collect texture reference they brought whole raw fish from the supermarket. Crazy stuff.

That sounds amazing! I bet that was fun :biggrin:
I'll have to check out that Dominoe's, I was thinking of visiting Leicester again soon for the Art exhibition in June (http://www.dmu.ac.uk/degree-show/degree-show/degree-show.aspx) but will have to work out travel costs first... to be honest I think I'm just too excited to move there!

Original post by Ravien
And can I just say, wow about the concept of your final piece! I have a feeling the industry is going to love you and your imaginative thinking! ;p

Haha! Thank you :biggrin: Either that or they'll be checking me into therapy hehe.

Hope your exams went well, and same to everyone else - sounds like a lot of you are doing A-levels, best of luck, those exams were truly horrific :s-smilie:
Good luck Clarky_carrot, I'm sure you'll be fine!!!
But I'll agree with quadrophenia82, I felt like the tutors are much more interested in personality and skill rather than grades and numbers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kattah
Hello ewan_mc and quadrophenia, thanks for joining in!:^_^:
I'll have to check out that Dominoe's, I was thinking of visiting Leicester again soon for the Art exhibition in June .

Dominoes is a tad more (ok alot more) exspensive in most cases for art materials but they give you a voucher if you spend a certain amount. They put the price of the marker pens up by £1 once though :| over a period of 2 days.
The watercolour pads are b.o.g.o.f though.

If you want to know anything about leicester im your woman I was born here (about 2 minutes walk from the uni actually)
I have yo-yo'd between the leicestershire area and the preston lancs area for a great number of years....sigh.

The "plein air" drawing is fun, we have discovered some really cool delapidated buildings during our walks around leicester on the quest for 2 point perspective.
The visual design lecturer has presented lectures on some strangly interesting places and people he has come across. I wont spoil it for you though...... I will let you find out for yourselves. wait till you see his digi paints.

Our game production lecturer is awesome at 3d like you have never seen. She manages to create super detailed models with a really low triangle budget. Shes ex industry so she knows her stuff. They can be looked at on the computers in the labs for reference which will of course help you.

Our course leader/ critical studies lecturer is lovely. He always gives advice to you and will be more than willing to answer any questions you have about the course. He is the one that reads your blog that you will create ( thats the honours part ). He is very honest. Hes given us so much help this year especially regarding character design telling us ways in which to present our work and more importantly ways in which we can make it look cool.
He gives us a lot of inspiration in his lectures.

went off on one there. Oh well, now you know. Like I said I will hapilly answer questions.
Reply 74
Sorry it's a little late, but 'Me too!!' as to "who is doing the course in 2012?" I really look forward to seeing you all! Now that theres a few more heads knocking about here, i'll ask a couple of questions:

Does anyone want to LAN or anything else mega nerdy? I'm in Victoria Halls and i'm looking to build up a roster of geeky friends for the first time in my life...

Also, does anyone want to start an 8-bit theme band with me? Kind of a joke but it would still be amazing.
Original post by TomDuffus
i'm looking to build up a roster of geeky friends for the first time in my life...

You will have zero trouble doing that on our course, believe me :wink:

Original post by TomDuffus

Also, does anyone want to start an 8-bit theme band with me? Kind of a joke but it would still be amazing.

Explain further... it does sound like it would be pretty cool...
Reply 76
Awesome! I've got this great big box of D&D crap and I've never known how to use it/had anyone to learn to use it with. I've never really had many friends into that kind of thing so I'm really looking forward to making some!

8-bit is a genre of music which is effectively electronica, but using sounds that are associated with the 8 or 16 bit eras of gaming. Chip-tune is another name for it. I was in a moderately-successful student band during college and I miss being musically creative... Again, it's kind of a joke though.
Hi there, I'm enrolled to game art design starting in September so I thought I'd introduce myself :smile: I'm Georgina but call me Gina, I'm currently just finishing my A2s (in exactly 2 weeks time actually!) and really can't wait to start uni, especially as my Leicester boyfriend just dumped me so I really can't wait to start fresh now! I've been to Leicester a few times because of him but can't wait to get to know everyone and the place properly, I'm booked into Filbert Village for my accommodation :smile: I love gaming and am a PS3 user, my favourite series of games are Assassin's Creed, Fallout and Uncharted, hit me up on PSN when the summer starts if you want under Gladepanther haha :biggrin: I'm also a cosplayer, yeah I know its nerdy but I don't really care xD
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
I'm just popping in here for one second to drop this bomb (although I'm sure most of you have seen it by now!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pLzSSv1Qfg&feature=relmfu

SO. EXCITED.
Original post by Ravien
I'm just popping in here for one second to drop this bomb (although I'm sure most of you have seen it by now!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pLzSSv1Qfg&feature=relmfu

SO. EXCITED.

Mine's already pre-orded :biggrin:

Love how they seemed to have changed the feel of the game, it seems a bit more horror-ish then the earlier ones :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending