Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I'm going to be on holiday when the results come out...normally I wouldn't worry, but I'm wondering how this will affect me in terms of University, as I know we have to correspondence with them post-results... I'm not coming back until the 26th - can anyone give me an indication of what I need to do?!

Thank you so much :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, if you miss both of your offers then you're a bit stuck really, as you won't be able to search for Clearing vacancies until you get back when the good ones will have gone. You also won't be able to phone up and beg if neccessary.

ReputationRep:
    If you can arrange the school to phone you your exam results (or you phone them) on results day, then you'll be able to beg to the universities while you're on holiday, assuming you have access to a phone that works. Just be prepared to spend a fortune on international phone calls (if you're going outside the UK).

Our school strongly advised us against going on holiday on results day, so we would be around to sort out any problems that came up.

ReputationRep:
    If humanly possible I would arrange to be at home on results day if I were you, it can be stressful enough without having to cope with the extra pressures of not being home, but I guess it depends where you are going, whether there are reliable phones/internet connection that you can use to deal with things there.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Being on holiday when your A level results come through is a BAD idea....can you rearrange your holiday?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether you are confident about getting at least your insurance choice (200 points), if not your firm choice. If you're not sure about it (even insurance), then I'd suggest you plan to be back on results day, just in case you narrowly miss the offer so you can call and see if you will still be accepted.

Remember that things don't necessarily go as planned. You may be sick during exams and this may affect your results. So it would be best if you are available (not on holiday) on results day.

ReputationRep:
    Bummer.....

I can't really rearrange my holiday, and it's important to my family that I go as it will be my last holiday with them as a family before I go to University (yes, they're like that!)

For GCSE's my grandad picked them up for me and I rang up and he read them out to me... I was thinking of doing that this year.

I'm confident that I will get the points I need - my highest offer is 260, and I'm doing 4 A-Levels, predicted AABB...so in total that's 440... I got AABB in my AS, so I'd have to really screw up to not get my 260 points!!! I've just done modulars in two subjects, so I think I'll see how I've done in them.

Looks like I'm going to have to talk to my head of Sixth Form!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Even if you do get into your 1st choice, there's still a lot of stuff to sort out, like accomodation and module choices.

ReputationRep:

Well I'm going to see my Head of Sixth Form today and speak to him about it... looks like I'll be at home then

Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    OK, just checked with my Head of Sixth Form - he said it's really up to me whether I stay or go, but from what you have all said I think I'm going to stay... my parents are going away for two weeks, so my dad's checking if I can join them at the start of the second week after results!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going away the morning after results. Never been in England for results brfore so looking forward to it!lol!

After reading this thread it's worried me a bit! When do we have to choose modules? and do most unis sort accommodation out after results?

ReputationRep:
    It worried me too!! I was initially thinking it'd be just like getting GCSE's, especially as I'm going to be in the same country this time as I was then! I think that going later will be a lot better, and I'm still getting my holiday!!!

My Head of Sixth Form said it varies between Uni's as to how soon they get back to you and sort out accomodation etc :confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some unis will make you apply for accomodation before results day, but even they will send you a confirmation of a room and you need to return a form to say you're still having it (and maybe pay a deposit).

It does depend on the uni and course whether you need to choose modules. Some will want you to choose after you've started and discussed it with your tutor, and others you won't even get a choice!

If you get your insurance or have to go through Clearing, you may want to visit the uni to make sure.

Then there's all the other stuff you'll get, like Fresher's week info and tickets may need to be bought in advance, NUS cards etc!

It doesn't sound a lot to do, but if you think most unis start around the 20th of September you haven't got long to do it in, and some even start before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Some unis will make you apply for accomodation before results day, but even they will send you a confirmation of a room and you need to return a form to say you're still having it (and maybe pay a deposit).

It does depend on the uni and course whether you need to choose modules. Some will want you to choose after you've started and discussed it with your tutor, and others you won't even get a choice!

If you get your insurance or have to go through Clearing, you may want to visit the uni to make sure.

Then there's all the other stuff you'll get, like Fresher's week info and tickets may need to be bought in advance, NUS cards etc!

It doesn't sound a lot to do, but if you think most unis start around the 20th of September you haven't got long to do it in, and some even start before.
    It sounds like there's loads to do!!! Well I think that at least being home for results days and a few days after will give me enough time to sort things out... if it isn't, I can always ring the university up to finalise things before I go away.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE:

I rung De Montfort today (they are going to be my firm and insurance choices!) and explained the situation. They said that because I'm likely to get my grades to fulfill my conditions I don't have too much to worry about... whilst on holiday I can call them to accept my offer, and then all I need to do is fill in the forms when I get back. He said not to worry about accomodation, because some people have got through clearing at last minute and still been given accomodation. And also, if worse comes to worse I can always stay at home. I'll still consider staying at home for the first week, but speaking to the university has put my mind at ease.

Thanks for all the help and advice :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God - I'm still really really unsure what to do!!!!!!

After all the input from this thread when I first posted it I wasn't so nervous about going away on results, but now I'm really worried again because I've read the 'Results Day' threads and there seems like there is so much to do!!!

I'm just wondering, would I have enough time to get everything sorted in time to fly out to meet my parents on the Saturday after results? Or, would it be possibe for my Grandad to send off all the reply forms and what not - or do they need my signature? :confused: Would it be ok for me to accept my offer over the phone... and will this call be to UCAS or the Uni? I'm confident I've got my offer... I got AABB in AS, and in my January modules in 2 subjects I got two A's, and even then my insurance is a low offer so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm just so confused and worried again now... Also if there is anyone else who is going to be away for results or has been away for their results then I'd like to hear from you too!!! It'd be great to be on holiday for the two weeks and not miss a week, but if there's too much to do I'll have no other choice

ReputationRep:
    I'm also on holiday the day the results come out. I wasn't worried about it until I read these threads. Like you I'm fairly confident I will get the required grades. I think I may be ok though seeing as I get back on the 21st which isn't too bad and I'm living at home so I don't have to worry about accomodation. There's no way I'm missing my holiday though, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you meet your firm offer, it should not be a big problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies - I'm glad it's not just me being away!!! I'd stil be grateful for anyone elses input too

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.