Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honza)
    liar, don't trust him. he's doing 4
    hehe - well I actually only did 3 (dropped general studies in Year 12) although I did take an extra AS and I should have 4 by the end of this year.... except there's a very real chance I'm going to fail Maths... :rolleyes:

Where did these come from? :suitc: :suitd: :suith: cool..

Anyway, they let me in with only 3

ReputationRep:
    3 a-levels, one of my AS levels was Art

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - to get back on topic I know one or two people that do more than 3 A2s, and I know about 30 who got into oxbridge. I've also heard stories of people with 4/5 A levels being rejected...

ReputationRep:
    For AS I did 4 subjects (maths, physics, chemistry, computing)
    After I got my offer which was AAA, I asked St Johns if i could drop chemistry, they said yes, so I did.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, 3 Alevels are fine. One of my friends got rejected from Oxford with predicted grades of 6As at A2, whereas the girl from my school who got into cambridge for Vet sci (which I'm told is **** hot competitive) only does 3. Maybe just use the extra time you have not doing extra subjects to read around teh ones you are doing, or just enjoy yourself, heaven knows if you get in you'll be working hard, might as well have a final year without that pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm applying for 2007 and I'm going to end up with 5 A Levels and an extra AS:
    French AS
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    I want to drop biology but I've been told not to because keeping it going may be beneficial to my application. If I get an offer I'll definitely be emailing in to ask if I can drop it! And I'm probably going to apply for 25% CompSci anyway so Biology isn't really going to be a part of my degree subject.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by the_brainaic)
    Well I'm applying for 2007 and I'm going to end up with 5 A Levels and an extra AS:
    French AS
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    I want to drop biology but I've been told not to because keeping it going may be beneficial to my application. If I get an offer I'll definitely be emailing in to ask if I can drop it! And I'm probably going to apply for 25% CompSci anyway so Biology isn't really going to be a part of my degree subject.
    see the thing is my school being only a state comp only allows us to take 4 AS levels and suggests that we drop one for A2 and a lot of people in my school are only taking 3 AS levels to start with so i dont actually have the opportunity to take as many in the first place

ReputationRep:
    3 is normal here. Most have 3. Some have 4 (although they seem to be mostly mathmos with further maths as well, or 4 including GS). I thought there would be more people with 5 like me, but I am something of a rarity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZanyZanny)
    see the thing is my school being only a state comp only allows us to take 4 AS levels and suggests that we drop one for A2 and a lot of people in my school are only taking 3 AS levels to start with so i dont actually have the opportunity to take as many in the first place
    Dunno what that has to do with being a state comp. I also go to a comp, in the country's official worst LEA (though it's actually quite middle class), and there are 2 of us doing 6 A levels (though it works out so that we don't have to do much work cos of the subjects chosen). I always thought it was the private schools that limited the number of A levels you can take more, certainly there are some local ones which refuse to allow people to do 5, and severely dsicourage 4, whereas the comps seem to think its up to you to decide whether you think you can cope with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 3 a-levels and one IB certificate....Some wouldn't consider my A-levels to be "real" subjects...doing;

Sociology,
    Music and
    German, then
    History IB and did French AS.

My offer is AA is any of my 3 and a 6 (which is a low A) so : )

ReputationRep:
    doing more than 3 because of the admissions process would be foolish, but if you enjoy some challenge and want to get used to working harder than others, there's nothing wrong about 6+ A2s, given that you'd still have time to research your subject in greater depth.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    Dunno what that has to do with being a state comp. I also go to a comp, in the country's official worst LEA (though it's actually quite middle class), and there are 2 of us doing 6 A levels (though it works out so that we don't have to do much work cos of the subjects chosen). I always thought it was the private schools that limited the number of A levels you can take more, certainly there are some local ones which refuse to allow people to do 5, and severely dsicourage 4, whereas the comps seem to think its up to you to decide whether you think you can cope with it.
    what i was on about with my school being a comp is that a friend of mine goes to a public school and does 5 As levels but for my school that is not an option due to how it is timetabled so i dont have enough lessons in a week to do 5 even if i wanted to and my school also does not do ones in ICT, general studies or critical thinking which a lot of people also appear to do for the 5th As level and is what my friend is doing for her 5th as level but all schools may not be like that

ReputationRep:
    To the OP: I have an article (PM me if you want it) that says Oxbridge prefer candidates with fewer a-levels!

ReputationRep:
    ICT is the most time-consuming A-level, no doubt about that..you have to do 2 courseworks (AS + A2), they're in total worth 40% of your final mark and they are just massive. anything shorther than 200 pages (each) can't even think of getting an A..so ICT can hardly be considered for an easy a-level in terms of time.

but surely agreed on general studies/critical thinking.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Honza)
    ICT is the most time-consuming A-level, no doubt about that..you have to do 2 courseworks (AS + A2), they're in total worth 40% of your final mark and they are just massive. anything shorther than 200 pages (each) can't even think of getting an A..so ICT can hardly be considered for an easy a-level in terms of time.

but surely agreed on general studies/critical thinking.
    see i am unaware of the level of ICT due to the fact that my school does not offer it so i take back wht i said bout ICT as i thought it would be an easy one

ReputationRep:
    I got five with GS, but there's no reason you'd need any more as long as you've taken the right subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    It depends a lot on the school and their timetabling.

In my state comp, it was only possible to fit in a maximum of four A2s, and most people did three. That's great that you've had the option of doing so many A-Levels, but surely you spend less time on each subject per week than someone in a school like mine? Which can't be much of an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 AS levels and so did the two other people from my college who got in. I was terrified at the interview after finding out that so many people seemed to be doing 5 or 6 A levels, but it all worked out all right in the end. Don't worry, just do as many as you can cope with and try to get the highest marks possible (to state the obvious )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honza)
    liar, don't trust him. he's doing 4
    No really, I'm doing three.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by N9ne)
    No really, I'm doing three.
    u sure bout that?
    i will take your word for it

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.