Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honza)
    ICT is the most time-consuming A-level, no doubt about that..you have to do 2 courseworks (AS + A2), they're in total worth 40% of your final mark and they are just massive. anything shorther than 200 pages (each) can't even think of getting an A..so ICT can hardly be considered for an easy a-level in terms of time.

but surely agreed on general studies/critical thinking.
    That's true about the courseworks, but if it's anything like Computing then I don't think that the exams themselves are as difficult as for something like History. Plus there's a whole lot fewer essays to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZanyZanny)
    see the thing is my school being only a state comp only allows us to take 4 AS levels and suggests that we drop one for A2 and a lot of people in my school are only taking 3 AS levels to start with so i dont actually have the opportunity to take as many in the first place
    Really poor excuse. I went to the 3rd best private school in the country and we timetabled for 4 A2s max with most taking 3, and a VERY restricted number of subjects. You can always take externally, as I did.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by synaesthesia)
    Really poor excuse. I went to the 3rd best private school in the country and we timetabled for 4 A2s max with most taking 3, and a VERY restricted number of subjects. You can always take externally, as I did.
    i didnt know to take them externally was a possibility

ReputationRep:
    That's true about the courseworks, but if it's anything like Computing then I don't think that the exams themselves are as difficult as for something like History. Plus there's a whole lot fewer essays to do...
    according to my teacher, ICT has one of the lowest average grades out of all a-levels..I can't be bothered to find this information and check it, but if anyone does, let us know whether that's true..fyi, it's not like computing at all, in fact it has very little to do with computers and nothing at all with maths, it's all about processes, methods and information..and it's seriously awful syllabus, some of it is common sense, but the examiners want it in a very specific way and they are very strict on the mark schemes as well..

one last comment - my school ranks among the top20 in the UK in a-levels league tables. my year is the last one to be taught ICT, current lower 6th are taught something else..in my year's AS-level results, there was 1A, 2Cs and something like 12 Ds and worse..overall, irrespective of aspects on which you base your opinion, ICT is the worst syllabus I have ever been taught either in the czech republic or in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    You say they "suggest" you drop...suggestions blah! Do what you want...and yeah look outside of college if you really want - but u dont need more than 3 - UMS scores and the suitibility of you as a candidate and the subjects you take is more important.

ReputationRep:
    why does anyone do general studies? It's lame and no one likes it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i dont actually know wht general studies involves can some one shed some light?

ReputationRep:
    at some schools you have to.

i dont actually know wht general studies involves can some one shed some light?
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/genA_assess.html

or just search for general studies.

ReputationRep:
    Actually looks rather interesting... Could be good preparation for BMAT/TSA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsmeeth)
    We asked to do it, didn't do any work, just sat the exams, so it took up virtually no time which could have been spent doing more useful things. Me and my friend got full marks at AS. Also, the exam was quite interesting, and it was nice to write some essays (well, essay-lites) seeing as I haven't had any practice since GCSE.

It's not given much consideration by Unis, but there aren't going to be prejudiced against you for having it. It might just distinguish you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsmeeth)
    I really enjoy it I have one lesson a week which involves debating with the rest of the class about religion, politics, aesthetics, society, science...or just generally what is in the news at the moment. I think it depends on the syllabus as well...Edexcel is interesting, whereas some General Studies syllabuses involve maths and foreign languages, which for me, would be hell.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I take 4 A-levels and got an offer, but lots of people with 3 and an AS also get offers and lots of people with 5 or 6 get rejected. Continue with all 4 if you enjoy all your subjects and can handle the workload, otherwise drop them and do some extra reading to get higher UMS marks.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.