The Student Room Group

Would you let me tutor your kids?

Scroll to see replies

I'd rather pay a bit more for someone more experienced.
Reply 41
Its mainly about experience to be honest, you are not going to be teaching kids who are at the same level, some will be weaker than others. This is where experience comes into play, you have to be able to make sure that no matter how strong or weak the child is in maths, they will be able to understand you. Its all well and good teaching one year 8 student for a year, but how will you fair teaching another student who was even more weaker? Also teaching a group of four is not the same as one to one especially when it comes to teaching kids who are at different abilities, trust me its not easy as you have to make sure each child is given a fair amount of attention (making sure that one does not feel left out) and that they all understand you.

With regards to how much you are charging, for arabic, you seem to be very experienced so thats not a problem, but when it comes to maths you should probably lower your rate as you don't have a lot of experience especially when it comes to teaching a group of 4 students. In my opinion you should actually hold off on teaching a group of 4 and stick to one to one for now and charge a lower rate, when you gain a lot more experience, then you should consider group tutoring and bump up your rate a little. You should rely on word of mouth rather than advertise, if someone see's a advert for a tutor who has a PGCE in maths and 5+ years experience, they will most likely pick that over an advert for a tutor who is a GCSE student, if you are really good , your tutees parents will send word around and youll have more kids to teach.

Other than that,you don't need a PGCE to teach so go for it :smile: But as the teacher above said, you do need to know what the child needs to know for school and how you are going to go about assessing the child as well as talking to the parents about the childs progress, parents are going to be paying money and so will expect progress and results !
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Is there actually people willing to pay for someone for that service? I wouldn't pay for "private" tuition for my hypothetical child at that level. Certainly not £10 an hour for a group session.
Reply 43
Original post by ak395
I am 16 years old (year 11) and want to advertise to tutor year 6 students in maths to prepare them for secondary school during the summer holidays. I am planning to tutor a group of 4 for £10 an hour per child.

I have been home schooled throughout secondary school and have self-taught a lot. In year 8 I completed maths GCSE and got an A* grade 3 years early. I've achieved 7 A* grades at GCSE early and am predicted another 3 A*s this year. In january I did my AS level maths one and a half year early and got an A overall (Marks for each module: 99, 93 and 86.)

I have tutored kids aged 5-15 in Arabic since I was 12, so that's 4 years now. I have also tutored a year 8 student in maths for about a year and she recently went up a whole level in one term. My tutees' parents have commented on how well I manage the kids and how patient I am with them. I recently helped my cousin and a friend revise for GCSE Maths and they both commented on how they understand concepts when I explain them better than when the teacher does.

I now want to advertise to the general public but am afraid that people may not want me to tutor their kids due to my age but I believe that being younger is actually an advantage to me because I remember what methods helped me to understand concepts and this reflects in my tutoring.

Well I am only a teenager lol, but yes if I had kids, I would let you tutor them.

You should be abe to find work, but you also need to bare in mind that parents are always going to prefer to have an actual teacher to tutor them, and may be reluctant to have someone of your age tutor their children, because they want consistency (for example, the 16 year old not turning up once because he/she was raving all last night).

But back to your question, yes I would, and I am sure there would be parents would be willing for you to tutor them!
Reply 44
You still have not answered the questions asked on here by the teachers with QTS.

- how will you manage differentiation?
- how will you assess progress?
- will you plan?
- how will you identify the children's learning needs?

Someone who was a 3c in Year 8 should have been on the SEN register within their school because that is well, well below expected progress. How did you manage that? You said she jumped a whole level - where is your evidence? How did you know where to start?

Your Mum may well lead EYFS (I assume she has Early Years Professional Status though, so she will be qualified) in a private school but that doesn't automatically make you a good teacher. My Mum is a qualified teacher who is Ofsted Outstanding with a proven record of results - doesn't make me outstanding and doesn't mean that my teaching and results are amazing. Just means my Mum is a teacher.
Reply 45
Original post by ak395
I would give the students a 15 minute break inbetween. I have been tutored for 2 hours in a go plenty a time but I do agree that you tend to switch off after about an hour so a break would be useful.

You do realise this is 11 year olds you are talking about? I know that now I switch off after just over an hour and a half if I don't get up and do something different, and I'm 19!

Original post by ak395
Thank you, I understand the point you are making but you really have misunderstood me. I would not charge £40 per child per hour. I said £10 in a small group so 4 kids would pay £40 an hour in total. I also very much appreciate the value of a teaching qualification but believe that it is not always necessary to make a good teacher. My mother works at a private school as head of early years. She has no QTS and no degree and still leads people higher qualified than she is as experience and a natural flair for teaching is more valuable sometimes than all the qualifications in the world. I understand that I may not be as knowledgeable as you are but I do have some clue into how these things work. My mum is a teacher, my dad is a teacher. I have tutored arabic to a large age range of children for the last 4 years and have got lots of positive feedback from the parents. I have also tutored a year 8 girl in mathematics for about a year and she has improved incredibly. She started off lacking confidence, at a level 3C, with a weaker understanding of basic maths principles than my younger brother who is in year 3. She seemed to understand and remember hardly anything taught to her in class and by working closely with her I have helped her to move from the lower set to the middle set and more recently, to jump a full level in just one term. A couple of girls who I helped revise for GCSE maths in the past remarked how they understand the way I exclaimed concepts better than their teachers and my friend prefers my explanations to her tutor's who is a Cambridge university graduate in Mathematics.

Tutoring is something which gives me a sense of deep satisfaction when I see somebody's confidence revived with my help. I believe that my approach is good as I self-taught most of KS3 and KS4 maths so understand exactly how to explain an idea so that the student understands. Therefore I believe I will continue with the tutoring I do already and advertise a little for holiday tuition which I will tutor one-to-one for £15 an hour. This rate undercuts tutoring rates in my area by far and thus I believe it will be suitable.

I think at first, I would have agreed that I would have let you tutor my children, but for wayyyy less than £10 an hour for a group session, but after everything you've said, I don't think I would.

If my children needed tutoring, it wouldn't be as a group session - the whole point would be to fill a gap, and it also wouldn't be just after exams finished. If anything, I'd want a tutor for BEFORE the exams - it would be harsh parents who got their children tutored during the summer holidays. And there is just the fact that you don't really know how to teach, you don't know how these things work. I know that I am very good at explaining concepts to classmates during lessons - if I understand something properly, then I find my own logical ways to remember and work things out, and I really enjoy passing that onto friends and classmates. But that doesn't mean I'd make a good tutor. I can teach my friends because they are the same level as me, I know what they already know - how do you know exactly waht the child understands and has already studied? How do you deal with the fact you will have children of different levels? What textbooks are you going to buy? What other resources are you going to prepare?

I can't pretend I know much about tutoring, but thats why I wouldn't be a good one - the fact that you don't seem to know much more worries me.
Reply 46
Those prices seem steep to me.
A fully qualified maths teacher (i.e BSc in Maths, PGCE, enhanced CRB Checked, plus some experience) around me (which is a cheap part of the UK to live in to be fair) would charge between £15 and £20 for one on one teaching.
We dont really have primary level to secondary tutors, but a 'Primary Catch-up' teacher would charge around £15 per hour, again for one on one tuition.
I also know of a retired Primary headteacher who part time helps young children with reading, she charges £9.50 per 45 minute one on one session, or £5.50 for a group session of no more than 4 children.

However I dont really see the need for primary to secondary extra tuition. Most of which is for people to have extra studying before their exams, or for people who need to catchup, or perhaps for people who need extra support to complete work.
Also, as has been said above, do you really know what the children need for secondary school? What additional re-enforcement? Also you wouldnt want to teach two totally different methods for doing things, which will confuse the children.

I dont want to put you down, but these are important issues :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending