The Student Room Group

Alleged rape by two footballers, woman too drunk to remember anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex92100
Sorry I didn't make myself clear; the reasonable man is a hypothetical creation, he doesn't exist.

It can be defined by 'A phrase frequently used in tort and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability.'

Ultimately, the jury decide whether the conduct of the defendant is on par with that of a reasonable man. This is the best system out there, there is no real alternatives that have been put forward.

You are correct that it acts as a deterrent, but a deterrent doesn't work against a man who reasonably and honestly believes he has done nothing wrong, therefore there would still be no point sending down someone who reasonably believes they have done nothing wrong.

I get that the 'reasonable man' is hypothetical, but it isn't objective. What I think a 'reasonable man' would do may be different from what you think a 'reasonable man' would do... And I think this judgement on what a 'reasonable man' would do in a situation needs to be supplemented with the information about whether she was past this point (debateable where it is) that means she cannot consent.
Reply 281
Original post by badcheesecrispy
yeah thats why so many real rapists get off and the girl is left with mental scars her whole life. no rapist is sentanced to death in this country. a very low amount of rapes as i said get convicted anyway and thats because of views like those on here. as i said it is mostly men coming out with this rubbish that again makes me ashamed to be male. many more rapists get off than innocents who are accused. this is a true fact unfortunately. my view is that those on here hate women and see them all as sluts. they dislike that women can dress and do what they like and that women have sexual control most of the time. it is us men who are usually desperate to pull women you see the extent gone to all the time.

i think some dont like the fact that a pretty young woman can be dressed up and drunk and say no. it affects mans ego. thats why you see so many people blaming young attractive woman who are drunk for rape yet if a gran or older woman or man is raped it is always 100% evil and terrible. that view tells you a lot. society hates attractive young women.

Well just no. The reason rape convictions are so low is because it is hard to prove. It isn't like murder, where there is the physical act of death; for rape, the physical act is always there, the two people have had sex. It then must be proved, BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT that the sex was without consent. You've basically ignored any point made to you and just ploughed on through anyway.
By the way guys, it is no longer 'alleged'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17781842
Reply 283
People keep saying "too drunk"; what does that even mean? The second you start drinking your actions will begin to become affected. How much is too much? It's obviously impossible to define as it'll vary from person to person, unless too much is defined as passed out.

So then you have to make a judgement based on their character presumably, but a lot of people only start becoming "friendly" after they've had x amount of drinks. If that's the case, you're not going to have spoken prior to them drinking x amount, so you can't make a judgement on how much their personality has changed between that time.

So if they're not being sick and you don't know anything about them, what else can you do? Survey their friends to establish exactly how drunk they are? Bust out the breathalyser and get a statistical assessment?

The only safe solution seems to be avoid women completely if you suspect they've had even the slightest bit to drink, because apparently they're not responsible for their actions if their actions have led to them becoming intoxicated - you are, and you're a rapist. Even if they proposition you and seem to love the experience, if they regret it the morning after, you're buggered.

I'm not saying Evans did or didn't rape her, just that the law is completely retarded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Stop trying to act all high and mighty, if there was a clear case of rape here you can be sure that the vast majority would be condeming ched without fail. However when someone is convicted of such a deplorable act, depsite the fact there is a begging question and there seemingly isn't enough evidence to prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt then clearly people will start stirring questions. If we call ourselves moral beings and agree with a persons right to a fair trial then when cases like this come along and we say nothing about the seemingly dodgy verdict then we are no better than tyrants. People merely want questions answered, either much evidence hasn't been released or Evans has been made a scapegoat. I sincerely hope it's not the latter!

he has had trial and is now beginning a 5 year holiday at her majesties pleasure. good luck to him hes a rapist and will need it
Original post by minimarshmallow
A little bit drunk is different from a lot drunk. I have stated many times that the point at which you are too drunk to be responsible for your actions is debateable, but it exists. I cannot speak for this woman because you don't know all of the individual differences associated (she may have been spiked it seems), but the fact that most people don't hit it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So we should ignore the human brain and the findings of neuroscience when looking at human actions and decisions? Sounds like a brilliant idea.
There is a difference between consenting to sex with someone you normally wouldn't, and being too drunk to consent at all. I'm not saying that anyone who's had anything to drink can't consent, I'm saying there's a point at which you can't consent. And as I keep saying, where this point is is up for debate; but once you have reached it, if someone has sex with you then it is rape.

So is there a point where you can drive your car drunk, because you aren't responsible for the decision you make, or many other decisions we make when drunk?
Original post by Idle
So if I am so drunk I can't remember the next morning, staggering everywhere and totally out of the world I am not responsible if I put a chair through a window? That is what you are saying.

I'm saying if you are past a certain point which would be unique to the situation you were in and your metabolism and what you had ate and drank etc. (debateable where it is, it could be the point where you physically couldn't put a chair through a window) then yes, you have diminished responsibility. Where that point is is difficult to determine without a lot of information collected, but it is there somewhere.
Reply 287
I get that the 'reasonable man' is hypothetical, but it isn't objective. What I think a 'reasonable man' would do may be different from what you think a 'reasonable man' would do... And I think this judgement on what a 'reasonable man' would do in a situation needs to be supplemented with the information about whether she was past this point (debateable where it is) that means she cannot consent.

I guess it is as objective as it will ever be, true objectivity would be impossible.

I do think you have missed the point though. Even if a woman is drunk, if she can say yes and is willing for sex, I think it is fair to assume that the reasonable man would take that as consent for sex, therefore cannot be liable for rape.

That supplemental information has already been provided. It would be impossible to say what is 'past the point', but from what I remember from reading R v Bree, the current authority on this point, if she is aware of her situation and knows that she is consenting to sex, no matter what state of drunkness she is in, that is consent, as drunk consent is still consent.
Reply 288
Pathetic. Sad that the law caters for sluts who go out, get drunk, sleep around and then call foul play when they regret it. :nn:
Original post by alex92100
Well just no. The reason rape convictions are so low is because it is hard to prove. It isn't like murder, where there is the physical act of death; for rape, the physical act is always there, the two people have had sex. It then must be proved, BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT that the sex was without consent. You've basically ignored any point made to you and just ploughed on through anyway.

its hard to prove which is why so many women dont report it because so many that do arnt believed. the girls know it is hard to prove and so do the rapist. the rapist has upper hand here and you know they do. you have no clue what this does the women. if locking more rapists up means girls will be safer and they feel they have justice then so be it. aswell as the facts i stated above on the general attitutde to young women who get raped anyway. always someone looking for excuse to blame. males have overrepresented them self in the rape apologist olympics on a massive scale here. i wonder why.

an ashamed male cheesy crisp
(edited 12 years ago)

It would also depend on how drunk ched was. If he was equally drunk then he equally would not have been in the best position to judge her level of intoxicity and hence on hearing her consent, in his mind and her mind (at the time) he was doing nothing wrong. They both wanted to have sex.

Just because she woke up the next day and regretted having sex with a person shouldn't automatically make someone a rapist. He never forced himself upon her, he didn't do anything with the intent to hurt her mentally and physically, therefore how can it be a sexual assault?

Perhaps there should be a lesser factor of conviction like there is with murder and manslaughter or indeed with underage consent (statutory rape). However even then, I still can't see how that in this case one man is guilty and one isn't despite both admitting to having sex with the woman.
Original post by arichmond64
So is there a point where you can drive your car drunk, because you aren't responsible for the decision you make, or many other decisions we make when drunk?

You can't drive your car drunk for a completely different reason... but I get where you're coming from with another hypothetical example.
We haven't established where this point is, it could be at the point where you can't stand up and therefore none of these examples make any sense (not saying they're all yours, but I have had a lot). But at that point there would be diminished responsibility for your actions, yes. And there's also the fact that the consequences of some actions may be easier to understand, so the point would be different for each action as well as the amount of brain capacity required to fully understand the action would be different.
All of these things have to be established, and it will probably take a while. But neuroscience says that at some point this will happen, so why ignore it?
Reply 292
Original post by mel_1991
If the girl says she wants to and is drunk then fine but if she is too drunk to give consent then obviously consent is not given and the guy shouldn't go there.

And what if the girl doesn't remember whether she gave consent? The point of not remembering can come before the point of not being able to consent.
Original post by Tyler Varona
In all those things you mentioned, if you were to do them, you'd be the perpetrator not the actual victim.

Defendents shouldn't be held in the same regard as victims.

So I'm a victim if I agree to be part of a bank robbery/murder plot etc?
I think it's disgusting that people take advantage when others are drunk. However, it doesn't make it rape.

If people had reported her struggling, resisting, unconscious, or if she could remember saying no and them not stopping, that would be rape. However, it sounds like she went willingly, albeit drunkenly, with them and there's no evidence that she changed her mind. Alcohol is not an excuse; if I got a tattoo whilst drunk, I couldn't get the tattooist charged with assault - I said I wanted it, it's not down to them to make a judgement over whether I'll regret it later.

It's a shame that this has happened, and I say it definitely makes them disgusting. But as for legal matters, the most you can say is she may have been raped - not enough to convict and punish someone for rape, IMO.
This wasn't rape. Personally hope he's out in 2 years.
Facts
1) Too drunk to remember ANYTHING
2) Too drunk to REMEMBER going into the hotel.
3) But can REMEMBER consenting to one of the guys sleeping with her.
4) Which one is it girl? can you REMEMBER or NOT?.

My Opinion: Based on her shaky testimony both guys should have been arrested.
Original post by mau5
Pathetic. Sad that the law caters for sluts who go out, get drunk, sleep around and then call foul play when they regret it. :nn:

the laws says different as he has been given 5 years for rape. i am man who has been around a lot of drunk woman and never thought i had thew right or wanted to rape them. this should be a lesson to the man who hasnt grasped my far more moral concept
Reply 298
Original post by badcheesecrispy
its hard to prove which is why so many women dont report it because so many that do arnt believed. the girls know it is hard to prove and so do the rapist. the rapist has upper hand here and you know they do. you have no clue what this does the women. if locking more rapists up means girls will be safer and they feel they have justice then so be it. aswell as the facts i stated above on the general attitutde to young women who get raped anyway. always someone looking for excuse to blame. males have overrepresented them self in the rape apologist olympics on a massive scale here. i wonder why.

an ashamed male cheesy crisp

I haven't once stated anything that isn't the law. You are assuming that the people who aren't convicted are rapists, how on earth do you know that? You haven't actually suggesting anything other than changing the burden of proof, that will never ever happen in this country because it is there for a reason.

EDIT: and also, the objective of the penal system is not to give victims justice, it is to rehabilitate and protect society from criminals and it is there as a detterent.
(edited 12 years ago)
Strange conviction IMO. The only way I could see this outcome as being right is if the video showed something we're not aware of. Like a deliberate attempt by her to resist his advances or whatnot.

If this is not the case then it's an absolute farce for reasons highlighted in this thread i.e. if she was too drunk to consent, then why aren't they both 'rapists'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending