The Student Room Group

Who would you save: A beloved pet or a complete stranger?

Poll

Who would you save?

I obviously don't wish this kind of situation to befall on any of you but if you were put in this situation then who would you save? Personally I would save a stranger not because I think we are a superior species but rather because I'm a human myself so therefore my instinct would tell me to save someone of my own species.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If my dog were still alive and it were her and a person I'd pick her. I really did love her, I'll always miss her. That sort of emotion would have to win out in that situation regardless of what seems rational
Reply 2
What is the situation? I'm leaning towards save the stranger but I want to know what the circumstances are. Has someone got a gun, my dog and a stranger or what?
Reply 3
I'd save a beloved pet anytime. Its just natural instinct to protect the things you love.
Reply 4
itsa hard one but id have to go with stranger to be honest... as much as i love my giant ginger furball of a cat a humans life is more important and whilst one can get a new cat you cant go and buy a brand new person from a shop can you?

why is this getting negged? do you selfish little toads seriously value a bloody hamster above a person?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm such a sensitive cow. If my rabbit was still alive the thought of her hurting would sadden me but considering she's dead and I currently have my rebound pet [hamster], I'm not too saddened but I wouldn't let her die anyway. The thought of a stranger's family never seeing their mother/father/sister/brother ever again also saddens me so I'd probably put myself in deep **** by trying to save both stranger and pet!
Pet, easily. I have no attachment to a stranger. For all I know they're a fraud or murderer. Pets are always innocent.

Edit: What on earth is so controversial about this? :lolwut: But I suppose to further elaborate, and after reading the responses in my thread, my view has altered slightly. I would save an animal I considered to be a genuine member of the family, like a dog, horse, cat etc. But a snake? Rabbit? I'd definitely change to the stranger. Maybe choosing my pet makes me selfish, but I've never denied that and I've never been a massive fan of humanity anyway. It's incredibly unlikely you will save a totally innocent person, whereas the pet will always be 100% pure. Although given the actual situation, it may be more difficult to save a pet if the other option is a child, whilst with an elderly stranger I'd pick the pet for certain. If anyone would actually like to discuss this rather than just negging, I'd be more than happy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
A human being :redface:
Situations like this sadly occur in real life, there was a case in NZ a few years ago where a man had to choose between saving his son or his wife. He ended up saving his wife. To answer your question, I'd save a human.
(edited 12 years ago)
Honestly I'd go for the pet since it's a complete stranger. If I had any sort of assurance that the stranger would not make me regret saving him then I would go for him. If there was anybody who loved him/her out there then I'd go for him/her as well.

Too damn hard to decide, not going to vote, leave me alone.
The pet.
The stranger. I'll miss my pet, but more people will miss the stranger... and the stranger would live longer. I'll lose the pet someday, sadly, whereas the stranger may live beyond my lifetime depending.

I'd feel terrible for letting my pet die, but I'd feel bad for letting any living being die needlessly. The stranger may go on to do good, or hell, become a friend... the pet is a pet and, much as I do truly love animals, if I had to choose, that is what I would choose. Nothing to do with the value of human life, more like a utilitarian option.
As much as I love my cat to pieces, I definitely think I'd pick the stranger.

The stranger has a family of their own, a mum, dad, brothers, sisters, a wife/husband and maybe even kids. Imagine looking into the eyes of the stranger's kid's, I'd feel absolutely terrible if I picked my pet over their father/mother
(edited 12 years ago)
The stranger. I'm not against animals or anything, it's just that I'm not a 14 year old child.
Pet, no question.

I'd even be more likely to save an animal I had no connection to than a person, and I'm a fur-wearing meat eater.

People should be intelligent enough to look after themselves and if they get into peril on their own, they've only themselves to blame.
(edited 12 years ago)
My dog. I would actually save it over some people I know aswell.
The stranger of course!

The fact that I have no connection to them is irrelevant - there is a 99.9% chance that someone somewhere will miss them as much as I would miss my own family, and if there isn't then they deserve to be saved. They will get far more out of the rest of their life than a cat would. Saving the pet is purely selfish.
Reply 17
Original post by cl_steele
itsa hard one but id have to go with stranger to be honest... as much as i love my giant ginger furball of a cat a humans life is more important and whilst one can get a new cat you cant go and buy a brand new person from a shop can you?

It's called "People Trafficing"
:redface:
Reply 18
I couldn't not pick the stranger. It's most likely just to be a normal, regular guy who has a loving family. How could I explain to them I saved a hamster over his life?
Wow, animal people really are crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending