The Student Room Group

Graduates - post here if your work and jobs so far are not as you expected or hoped

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Good thread this..

Got my results in September, went traveling, came back and graduated in January, started a Sales & Marketing position in Feb on 20k plus bonuses, enjoying it so far. Had a few offers before I accepted my current position, I narrowly missed out on really good radio positions at Talk Sport & Radio 1 due to lack of experience and had an offer abroad in America.

I did Media, Cultural Studies & Drama at uni, I've always been a self starter / DIY person, I come from a business orientated background, I think that has helped. I really enjoyed the degree, it was a great experience and I am working on my own projects in those fields, graduate life has been good so far..
Reply 81
Original post by Cll_ws
I reckon you'd have a pretty good chance of getting a job with that degree, most likely in hairdressing

Fair point. I wouldn't commit three years of my life to a degree to become a hairdresser, but each to their own.
Reply 82
Original post by ivka
which uni is that?? :smile:

Coventry uni. They focus on getting you employable and its more about the teaching than the research there
Reply 83
Original post by M1011
Fair point. I wouldn't commit three years of my life to a degree to become a hairdresser, but each to their own.

I'm not sure it is a degree to be honest! I think hairdressers do an apprenticeship with one of the companies, who train them and offer them a job once they finish.
Unless you plan on working for yourself, in which case I think you just go learn how to cut hair at a college or something.
Reply 84
Original post by Cll_ws
I'm not sure it is a degree to be honest! I think hairdressers do an apprenticeship with one of the companies, who train them and offer them a job once they finish.
Unless you plan on working for yourself, in which case I think you just go learn how to cut hair at a college or something.

http://www.ucb.ac.uk/courses/higher-education/sports-therapy-and-salon-management/salon-business-management-hairdressing-ba-fda.aspx

but I reckon it would be a lot better/cheaper to do an apprenticeship!
Reply 85
Original post by NB_ide
Cool, I started at Imperial as well but transferred to York because London is disgusting, haha.

Obviously I'm not the one to give advice about what to do to get a job. What do you actually want to work as, what kind of jobs do you think there are available? I think you have to realise that there are no jobs "in biochemistry" for someone at a graduate level. You either become an academic, or do further study and then try very hard to get into some kind of pharma or food-based industry. There will be plenty of jobs a biochem grad could do, sure, but they won't be in the field itself.

And all bioscience work is very low pay compared with, say, physical technology and engineering.

I can vouch for this! Done a MSci Biochem and still absolutely not qualified for ANY biochem jobs I come across! further study always needed for a biochem job!
:cookie:
Reply 87
Just to inject a tiny bit of positivity into this thread ...

I am genuinely really happy with my job. I like the people, the pay and hours are good and I find it interesting and satisfying. Granted, I am pretty stressed out right now due to exams coming up, but that will pass soon, and it doesn't make me doubt that I chose the right career.

I'm not trying to boast. It wasn't always like this! Took me years and years to finalise what I wanted to do, and you can never be totally sure if you'll like it. I applied for jobs in my final year of uni and then during my Master's and then in my gap year after that. There were times when I thought no one would employ me! It was a long slog.

A few points (with the caveat that I am not an expert!):

Spoiler

I don't really know how to conclude this. I think half the battle is keeping your morale/spirits/motivation up so that you take positive actions to help yourself. Sure, it's true that a) the job market sucks, b) unemployment is high, c) some people walk into jobs because of who they know, and d) you could have done more in the past to make yourself more employable now (mine was "maybe I should have taken a different degree"). But ultimately, none of these things are preventing you from getting a job you will enjoy - they just make it a bit harder. Rise to the challenge!

(I hope none of this sounds too trite or patronising - sorry if so.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88

fair enough! haha
although that does include some sort of management aspect by the looks of it.

but yeah, cheaper and easier to do the apprenticeship. Well, you're paid to do it, as you work in the salon whilst you're training
Reply 89
Original post by Jelkin

Ah not at all. Glad to hear some reassuring words.

May I ask what your job actually is?
Reply 90
Original post by meow444
Ah not at all. Glad to hear some reassuring words.

May I ask what your job actually is?

Good, I saw that quite a few people said this thread had panicked them a bit so I thought I should redress the balance a bit!

I am training to be an actuarial consultant. The worst thing about it is having to explain to everyone what it is :tongue:
Reply 91
Original post by Jelkin
Good, I saw that quite a few people said this thread had panicked them a bit so I thought I should redress the balance a bit!

I am training to be an actuarial consultant. The worst thing about it is having to explain to everyone what it is :tongue:

Haha I'm going to have to admit I had to google it!

I'm surprised you enjoy it. It sounds like the kind of job I imagine I wouldn't like (no offence that's just my personal preference). But then I don't know much about it. Well done on getting it, especially as you said your degree was unrelated, and I imagine it was a coveted position.
Reply 92
Original post by meow444
Haha I'm going to have to admit I had to google it!

I'm surprised you enjoy it. It sounds like the kind of job I imagine I wouldn't like (no offence that's just my personal preference). But then I don't know much about it. Well done on getting it, especially as you said your degree was unrelated, and I imagine it was a coveted position.

Well if you don't like maths then that's a bad start! But I think it offers a really nice mix between technical work (figures, calculations, knowing technical information) and using softer skills (in the actual consulting with clients). That kind of balance is quite important to me. Also, the work is varied and there is really good progression. I think it helps that my company is awesome and I really like my colleagues.
Graduated November 2010 (2:1 Criminology and Sociology), and still no full time job! (I have 2 measly pt time jobs, 17 hrs a week). I have work experience in teaching, volunteering in the Courts, childcare, currently write a blog, and I bring that up at every interview and it makes no difference whatsoever! All I get told is ''Ooo you've done a lot''!

I wish I had a crystal ball before I went to uni; if I could see then what I'm going through now, I wouldn't have touched university with a barge pole!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Jelkin
Just to inject a tiny bit of positivity into this thread ...

I am genuinely really happy with my job. I like the people, the pay and hours are good and I find it interesting and satisfying. Granted, I am pretty stressed out right now due to exams coming up, but that will pass soon, and it doesn't make me doubt that I chose the right career.

I'm not trying to boast. It wasn't always like this! Took me years and years to finalise what I wanted to do, and you can never be totally sure if you'll like it. I applied for jobs in my final year of uni and then during my Master's and then in my gap year after that. There were times when I thought no one would employ me! It was a long slog.

A few points (with the caveat that I am not an expert!):

Spoiler

I don't really know how to conclude this. I think half the battle is keeping your morale/spirits/motivation up so that you take positive actions to help yourself. Sure, it's true that a) the job market sucks, b) unemployment is high, c) some people walk into jobs because of who they know, and d) you could have done more in the past to make yourself more employable now (mine was "maybe I should have taken a different degree"). But ultimately, none of these things are preventing you from getting a job you will enjoy - they just make it a bit harder. Rise to the challenge!

I tried to rep you but I've got no more rep left! :frown:

This thread worries me a bit, since I'm coming back from Canada in two weeks and looking for a graduate/lab tech job in chemistry. What if a chemistry job's as difficult to get as a biology job seems to be?!
Reply 95
Original post by lazyswot

This thread worries me a bit, since I'm coming back from Canada in two weeks and looking for a graduate/lab tech job in chemistry. What if a chemistry job's as difficult to get as a biology job seems to be?!

No I think a chem lab job is much easier. My best friend is a chemist and he hasn't had any problem getting a job. Plus whenever I look for job ads online I see tons of chem lab jobs. I think you might have to be flexible about location though.
Reply 96
Original post by lazyswot

Original post by meow444
No I think a chem lab job is much easier. My best friend is a chemist and he hasn't had any problem getting a job. Plus whenever I look for job ads online I see tons of chem lab jobs. I think you might have to be flexible about location though.

"my friend" is a chemist and can't get a job, plus we don't measure number of vacancies in "tonnes". This is the problem with subjective judgements of "how many" jobs there are or how easy it is for someone from a given arbitrary category to get one.

lazyswot, I'd say at any one time there might be 5-10 clear chemistry jobs for graduates, and that will be lab tech stuff basically, which is boring and ****. Expect to seek further training rather than a job, if you want to stay in chemistry somehow. I'd encourage you to cast your net much, much wider, though. I'm now looking at unrelated jobs and have had an interview recently - the job was way over my head actually, and underpaid, so neither they nor I wanted me to have it!
Original post by M1011
Don't be put off by this thread.

So long as you are going to a decent university and aren't doing something woeful like BSc Hair Dressing it will be worth your while. Choose somewhere with a placement year if you are worried about gaining experience.

I imagine a BSc in hairdressing would actually be quite employable!
Reply 98
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
This seems quite judging. I'm in my final year and I know for definite, as a number of people will probably agree, that when we started our degrees nobody said a word about doing work experience. It was always a perception within universities, especially if you went to a Russell Group uni that if you had 2:1 or above from this university in a good academic subject you would have no problem finding a job at all. It only seems to be since I started third year in September that universities have finally cottoned onto this not being enough, and by then it is of course too late as you are no longer eligible for all the internships that specify "you will be a penultimate year undergrad".

You are in a very lucky position as you can see how the economy is and know what to do differently- when I picked my A Levels, the recession hadn't even happened and if it had, I definitely would not have picked four arts/social science subjects. We have to deal with all the aftermath of this and hope for the best!

Again it depends on your uni and degree, i said earlier in this thread we were told from day 1 at uni experience is key to supplement your degree.
Also make a name for yourself... even if it is only in a small circle of people and do something that employers will think that you have actually done something through university apart from attend 9 hours of lectures a week.
Don't rely on your parents, the amount of times you meet people and they get introduced as so-and-so's son/daughter instead of their real name.
Do some volunteering for a company and alot of time people get hired through that!
I've been lucky to transition from minimum wage temp jobs into a 23k graduate job (in scientific marketing) less than a year after graduating in Human Biology. It is very tough competition out there, I had to prepare incredibly hard for that interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending