Report 12 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ht=chaos+halls
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've got one.

When it's really really late at night, and your flatmate is stumbling in all drunken, turn off all the lights in the hall, sneak up on him/her, and absolutely pelt him/her in the face as hard as you can with the biggest, hardest object you can find.

That'd be real funny!
shopaholic_soph
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OMG you guys are all really mean, no one had better play pranks on me at uni - i will cry!
Elusive Moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anyone got a link to the Rolf-Harris-papered room posted on here a while back? Now THAT was a prank
Tajel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think pranks are fine....I've played them and had them played on me. It's all good.

But I'd stay away from ones that involved 'locking' doors with rope. Some people respond *very* poorly to being stuck like that. I had a friend who was very nearly thrown out of his house for doing that, and was officially disciplined by the University. He was lucky not to be expelled, as he told it later.

If they happen to coincide with, say, a fire alarm, well....you can imagine.

Edit: typo
mademoiselle84
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elusive Moose)
Anyone got a link to the Rolf-Harris-papered room posted on here a while back? Now THAT was a prank
agreed...good pranks are funny but not malicious...such as this one. sheer brilliance if you ask me!
zerohero
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So after reading all this, dont people lock their rooms lol
username1248783
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my older brother spent a term convincing his hall neighbour that the halls were haunted. just using night time noises when they were asleep like creaking doors, breathing and screams. also helped that one night he used fake blood to write "GET OUT NOW!" on the walls and washed it off before anyone else saw it. not sure that the guy/girl ever really believed that it wasn't haunted afterwards.
long haul practical jokes can sometimes be the best, maybe not as haha funny but long haul practical jokes are worth a thought. and besides they can be hilarious if you have it building up to one huge moment.
Opts
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
alarm clock under the bed is a subtle but ammusing one.

This other time we got loads of cups, filled them with water - put a laminate piece of paper on top... flipped them over then removed the sheet. Creates an air seal which makes it impossible to clean up without making a mess.

Also
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spirals up very rapidly till it's not actually funny anymore. E.g. Breaking into someones room and pissing all over his matress (real example).
Your typical public school prankster will assume that everyones property is as easily replaced as his own and readily trash the stuff you worked all summer to afford without a second thought.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Spirals up very rapidly till it's not actually funny anymore. E.g. Breaking into someones room and pissing all over his matress (real example).
Your typical public school prankster will assume that everyones property is as easily replaced as his own and readily trash the stuff you worked all summer to afford without a second thought.
Yeah this is the problem.

The general rule of thumb with pranks is if you do a prank on someone they will do it back to you, and they will do something worse to you, which is why it escalates. In the end it causes a row because its stops being funny when one party thinks the prank they did was funny but the revenge one was 'too far'. But its all a matter of perspective. What one person thinks is funny someone else thinks is too far.

Also when you are constantly looking over your shoulder, or having to constantly check everything in your room for signs of pranks, a 'prank war' soon becomes tiring.

Two other big problems with pranks:

- they often end up causing damage which either means everyone has deductions out of their deposit when they come to leave at the end of the year (including people that weren't involved with the pranks) or, when it comes to damaging (even accidentally) someone else's property, that causes major storms in halls as students often don't have much money and you can suddenly have someone expecting you to pay for expensive repairs/replacements that you didn't mean to damage

- some people just don't take to pranks well at all, even mild ones, and will go psycho, there was a mature student in our halls who was a pretty big guy, and a couple of lads thought it would be funny to egg and flour his car that was parked in the hall carpark, he came round and absolutely kicked seven shades out of these boys, they were really badly injured, although they were too embarrassed to go to the police about it but they were really kicked in, and it created a real chill in the atmosphere for a while
Meat is Murder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Children please.
Politics Student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
Yeah this is the problem.

The general rule of thumb with pranks is if you do a prank on someone they will do it back to you, and they will do something worse to you, which is why it escalates. In the end it causes a row because its stops being funny when one party thinks the prank they did was funny but the revenge one was 'too far'. But its all a matter of perspective. What one person thinks is funny someone else thinks is too far.

Also when you are constantly looking over your shoulder, or having to constantly check everything in your room for signs of pranks, a 'prank war' soon becomes tiring.

Two other big problems with pranks:

- they often end up causing damage which either means everyone has deductions out of their deposit when they come to leave at the end of the year (including people that weren't involved with the pranks) or, when it comes to damaging (even accidentally) someone else's property, that causes major storms in halls as students often don't have much money and you can suddenly have someone expecting you to pay for expensive repairs/replacements that you didn't mean to damage

- some people just don't take to pranks well at all, even mild ones, and will go psycho, there was a mature student in our halls who was a pretty big guy, and a couple of lads thought it would be funny to egg and flour his car that was parked in the hall carpark, he came round and absolutely kicked seven shades out of these boys, they were really badly injured, although they were too embarrassed to go to the police about it but they were really kicked in, and it created a real chill in the atmosphere for a while
This is solid advice.

I would also add that people are sharing a living area on different courses with differing time demands and stress during the year. A badly timed 'prank' when someone is extremely stressed with deadlines can totally backfire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (40)
27.78%
No - I got the required grades (86)
59.72%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed