Turn on thread page Beta

Any ideas watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what do people think about the new university top up fee that are going to happen.
    i think that this is just another way for the government to get more money out of people for new ideas which don't help the society.
    e.g crystal palace triange there is still alot more traffic up there then before it was introduced.

Tell me what other things you think the the government have wasted money on, and what you think of the top up fee?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a good idea. The students pay for a portion of their education as a tax when they can afford to. I would gladly enter into University with that system. I'm starting 2004 not 2006 though .

I do not know much about where and what the Government spend money on so I couldn't really say. I heard that Iraqi invasion cost a bit though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahollisan)
    what do people think about the new university top up fee that are going to happen.
    i think that this is just another way for the government to get more money out of people for new ideas which don't help the society.
    e.g crystal palace triange there is still alot more traffic up there then before it was introduced.

Tell me what other things you think the the government have wasted money on, and what you think of the top up fee?
    Well it works like this The University of Slough decide it will be a great idea to run a a degree course in cookery, this course involves an intense field trip in the supermarkets where you have to actually buy such complicated things as flower.

It requries 80 UCAS points for entry and most the people doing are not capable of doing GCSEs let alone degree level. However this course requires funding and that is one of the reasons for the increased top up fees. There are far more people going into university now so the government had to somthing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Well it works like this The University of Slough decide it will be a great idea to run a a degree course in cookery, this course involves an intense field trip in the supermarkets where you have to actually buy such complicated things as flower.

It requries 80 UCAS points for entry and most the people doing are not capable of doing GCSEs let alone degree level. However this course requires funding and that is one of the reasons for the increased top up fees. There are far more people going into university now so the government had to somthing.

thats a valid point.. but what about people who are intelligent but don't have enough money to go pay that kind of top up fees.

i'm going to university in 2005 for anyone who might be intersested

ReputationRep:
    thats a valid point.. but what about people who are intelligent but don't have enough money to go pay that kind of top up fees.

Well they can still borrow the money, you don't pay anything back or pay fees until you graduate unlike the current system. The answer is not really to encourage the poor clever people to go to university but discourage ones that should not be there by making it harder to get 40% passes. With the money they save on this they can use it to help the working class and lower middle classes get into university more easily.

My sister is having to choose the likes of Keele and Lancaster over York and Warick simply because of money.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Students from poor families will have more money to live on while they're studying under the new system.
    Students from non-poor families will have more money to live on while they're studying under the new system.

The repayment terms for the extra debt incurred have been improved and the extra debt is likely to involve only an extra 5 yrs or so of repayments at *better* rates than student repay student loans at at the moment.

Students get more money when they need it, get better repayment deals and universities get more cash.

IMO everyone wins - at least in the short term.

ReputationRep:
    Well they can still borrow the money, you don't pay anything back or pay fees until you graduate unlike the current system. The answer is not really to encourage the poor clever people to go to university but discourage ones that should not be there by making it harder to get 40% passes. With the money they save on this they can use it to help the working class and lower middle classes get into university more easily.

My sister is having to choose the likes of Keele and Lancaster over York and Warick simply because of money.
    What do you mean the 'likes' of Keele and Lancaster?

ReputationRep:
    Well everyone will have to get into debt.

ReputationRep:

I don't understand this. If repayment of top up fees are deferred until after graduation how does this effect your sister's ability to go to Warwick or York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't understand this. If repayment of top up fees are deferred until after graduation how does this effect your sister's ability to go to Warwick or York?
    who seriously cares anymore - it wont affect me at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Me neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Not even for one year?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about this the other day. Doesn't the top-up fees sort of force you to stand on your own two feet? I mean most 18 year olds aren't going to be paying for their own education under the current system but with top-up fees, you get your education and then you pay it back with money that you have earned. So it sort of takes a lot of strain off of your parents while forcing you to be independant. That's just a thought though, to be honest i'm against the top-up fees; anything where the price is raised is unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I was thinking about this the other day. Doesn't the top-up fees sort of force you to stand on your own two feet? I mean most 18 year olds aren't going to be paying for their own education under the current system but with top-up fees, you get your education and then you pay it back with money that you have earned. So it sort of takes a lot of strain off of your parents while forcing you to be independant. That's just a thought though, to be honest i'm against the top-up fees; anything where the price is raised is unfair.
    Yes it does. However if it's not the parents which will be paying them back why should how much you pay go on parental income?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.