Turn on thread page Beta

do you allow your religious beliefs to affect your sexual behaviour? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: do you let your religion's view on sex affect your sexual behavior?
    yes i observe all the teachings including those about sex
    19.38%
    no - i observe most of the religion but i dont agree with the sexual teachings
    17.50%
    no - i am not religious/atheist/agnostic
    54.38%
    yes - i let it affect my sex life in some aspects but not others eg no BDSM/threesomes
    5.63%
    no- im gay/bi but consider myself religious
    3.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    the bible does not forbid eating and drinking. indeed Jesus ate and drank so it must be ok.

as for the other point, yes i can see what you mean - to avoid this, i am only going to do kissing and light petting before marriage, but when i am engaged to the person, nearer the time i might do more, to ease the transition.
    my friend married a mexican and they never kissed until the wedding day.

if you love the person you dont care the 1st time is awkward and crap cos you will be with them forever so lots of time to practice
    BUT, the thing is if sex is just for procreation, then you will end up with a million kids (if you practice lots) and hence there's the need to use contraception. Which is why I think such a blanket ban on it is so absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot Fairy)
    :dito:

If I could rep you again I would.
    Great minds think alike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    Like most Catholic doctrine, it's one of those things that's just made up because it suits the clergy.
    Im sure it and clerical celibacy dont suit all of the clergy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    Well no, I guess what I meant was that it has nothing to do with the bible, the clergy just made it up.

ReputationRep:
    It suits the clergy that manner, namely those who have the money, including most of the Archbishops, Cardinals and the Pontiff himself, or at least it did. Primarily because it meant that church property owned by the clergy didn't get inhereted by any sons. The CoE get around this one as Vicars don't actually own the property they have. The Orthodox church only allows pre-ordained marriages and those who are married are barred from becoming Bishops.

Funnily enough it was the higher ranks of the clergy in the past most likely to disobey it, including the Pope untill the Counter-Reformation (heard of Cesare Borgia?).

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I would just like to state that sex is not a sin in Christian eyes. In the Bible, it specifically states that sex was created by God and is good. It is the best gift that God could give humankind.

Also, some people are confused about the Old and New Testaments - eg. somebody saying about following other teachings such as "don't talk to a woman who's menstruating" etc etc. The Old Testament is made up of laws which the Jews of the time had to follow to be righteous and know God. When Jesus came, he changed all that and made a new covenant to replace it, where to be righteous and know God you simply had to believe in Jesus and repent for your sins. He died on the cross to erase our sin and bridge the gap between humankind and God. Therefore, we no longer have to follow the rules of the Old Testament. This does not mean that it is worthless however, there are lots of lessons to be learnt (such as the story of Job, who sticks by God through a very dark time in his life and is rewarded) and of course, it also tells the story of creation etc. Jews however, still follow the Old Testament as they don't believe that the Messiah has arrived.

Finally, shinytoy is a Catholic which means that some of her sexual beliefs are different to mine - eg. use of the rhythm method. I don't believe in this because I can't find any proof in the bible for it. But I also don't believe in sex before marriage. And to the person who asked before - yes, I am the girl who had sex with her boyfriend and then decided to wait. That doesn't make my decision any less valid. It shows that I am only human, I made a mistake and gave in to my lust, and then I realised just how wrong and out of context the sex was in our current (and unmarried) relationship. God really spoke to me about it and I changed my mind.

I don't want to preach to you guys, because everybody believes different things. But I wonder about how different my current relationship would be if we had brought previous sexual baggage into it.

ReputationRep:
    i just don't understand religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Girl Red)
    Guys, I would just like to state that sex is not a sin in Christian eyes. In the Bible, it specifically states that sex was created by God and is good. It is the best gift that God could give humankind.

Also, some people are confused about the Old and New Testaments - eg. somebody saying about following other teachings such as "don't talk to a woman who's menstruating" etc etc. The Old Testament is made up of laws which the Jews of the time had to follow to be righteous and know God. When Jesus came, he changed all that and made a new covenant to replace it, where to be righteous and know God you simply had to believe in Jesus and repent for your sins. He died on the cross to erase our sin and bridge the gap between humankind and God. Therefore, we no longer have to follow the rules of the Old Testament. This does not mean that it is worthless however, there are lots of lessons to be learnt (such as the story of Job, who sticks by God through a very dark time in his life and is rewarded) and of course, it also tells the story of creation etc. Jews however, still follow the Old Testament as they don't believe that the Messiah has arrived.

Finally, shinytoy is a Catholic which means that some of her sexual beliefs are different to mine - eg. use of the rhythm method. I don't believe in this because I can't find any proof in the bible for it. But I also don't believe in sex before marriage. And to the person who asked before - yes, I am the girl who had sex with her boyfriend and then decided to wait. That doesn't make my decision any less valid. It shows that I am only human, I made a mistake and gave in to my lust, and then I realised just how wrong and out of context the sex was in our current (and unmarried) relationship. God really spoke to me about it and I changed my mind.

I don't want to preach to you guys, because everybody believes different things. But I wonder about how different my current relationship would be if we had brought previous sexual baggage into it.
    :top: :tsr2: good on you gir!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess Ana)
    This is where I fail to understand Catholics. Unless you're shirking your duty like Onan was, I know of no prohibition in the Bible against contraception. Where did that Pope get it from? I mean, you can't just invent things out of thin air, even if you are the Pope :confused:

It's Protestant teaching that sex is a gift from God, and akin to marriage - so we shouldn't abuse it, but are free to enjoy the benefits of it - which may or may not include children.
    im a christian (not a catholic though). And I agree with you there. The bible certainly doesnt say anything against contraception and personally I think that its the sensible thing to do. If you dont want any more children then why put yourself in the position where you might end up getting pregnant, especially if you cant afford children! I dont see anything wrong at all in using condoms, and although i dont know what God would say, I would have thought that he'd approve of condoms.

As for the pill, Im not too sure on that. I think it depends what kind of pill it is. The morning after pill is effectively the same as abortion so I think thats probably wrong. However, if its just stopping the ovaries from releasing an egg then you're not actually killing anything so I don't see anything wrong in that. Although from a sensible point of view, id try not to take it becuase i dont like some of the effects of long term use of the pill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflcgal)
    im a christian (not a catholic though). And I agree with you there. The bible certainly doesnt say anything against contraception and personally I think that its the sensible thing to do. If you dont want any more children then why put yourself in the position where you might end up getting pregnant, especially if you cant afford children! I dont see anything wrong at all in using condoms, and although i dont know what God would say, I would have thought that he'd approve of condoms.
    Everyone knows the real reason the vatican has been against condoms, it wanted to fill the world up with lots of Catholics, but with AIDs spreading, its plan has backfired in the third world and it will end up with even less than before.

I defer to the wisdom of Monty Python's the Meaning of Life:

"DAD:
    There are Jews in the world.
    There are Buddhists.
    There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
    There are those that follow Mohammed, but
    I've never been one of them.

I'm a Roman Catholic,
    And have been since before I was born,
    And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
    They'll take you as soon as you're warm.

You don't have to be a six-footer.
    You don't have to have a great brain.
    You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
    A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Because

Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

CHILDREN:
    Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

GIRL:
    Let the heathen spill theirs
    On the dusty ground.
    God shall make them pay for
    Each sperm that can't be found.

CHILDREN:
    Every sperm is wanted.
    Every sperm is good.
    Every sperm is needed
    In your neighbourhood.

MUM:
    Hindu, Taoist, Mormon,
    Spill theirs just anywhere,
    But God loves those who treat their
    Semen with more care.

MEN:
    Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    WOMEN:
    If a sperm is wasted,...
    CHILDREN:
    ...God get quite irate.

PRIEST:
    Every sperm is sacred.
    BRIDE and GROOM:
    Every sperm is good.
    NANNIES:
    Every sperm is needed...
    CARDINALS:
    ...In your neighbourhood!

CHILDREN:
    Every sperm is useful.
    Every sperm is fine.
    FUNERAL CORTEGE:
    God needs everybody's.
    MOURNER #1:
    Mine!
    MOURNER #2:
    And mine!
    CORPSE:
    And mine!

NUN:
    Let the Pagan spill theirs
    O'er mountain, hill, and plain.
    HOLY STATUES:
    God shall strike them down for
    Each sperm that's spilt in vain.

EVERYONE:
    Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is good.
    Every sperm is needed
    In your neighbourhood.

Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite iraaaaaate!"

ReputationRep:
    I am not religious so my religious beliefs don't come into anything.

I do however still have beliefs and values eg I always wear a condom, don't have one night stands etc. I'm a good person, and I'm not religious. Yay me!

Religion = evil. I think it was Voltaire that said the Church minus the dogma would be ideal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that the Morning After Pill is the same thing as abortion - its just preventing a pregnancy, and not in a kind of "intruding" way - in natural ways, like making the sides of the womb more slippery and all this kind of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess Ana)
    This is where I fail to understand Catholics. Unless you're shirking your duty like Onan was, I know of no prohibition in the Bible against contraception. Where did that Pope get it from? I mean, you can't just invent things out of thin air, even if you are the Pope
    Was there contraception in biblical times? I can't imagine there being many condom factories, ditto the pill, maybe this is why the bible says nothing about contraception? Although I suppose they might have had some methods. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I hate it the way people always go on about how christians don't believe in premarital sex, ok catholics frown upon it but there is nothing in the bible that says we can't have premarital sex and there is nothing about contraception either. Some christian people say they can't have premarital sex cos its against their religion but that's just not true and if they were such a good christian they would have read the bible and they would know that.
    By the way on the poll you missed on the poll an option that says i observe my religion but it does not teach about sex.

ReputationRep:
    Well as Catholic teachings state that life begins at conception then the morning after pill would be considered the same as an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Crow)
    I hate it the way people always go on about how christians don't believe in premarital sex, ok catholics frown upon it but there is nothing in the bible that says we can't have premarital sex and there is nothing about contraception either. Some christian people say they can't have premarital sex cos its against their religion but that's just not true and if they were such a good christian they would have read the bible and they would know that.
    By the way on the poll you missed on the poll an option that says i observe my religion but it does not teach about sex.
    what religion are you? it surely must say.

also the bible does warn against fornication which is sex before marriage, seperate to adultery - i think its in corinthians

ReputationRep:
    From my experience of Catholic girls, they like sex when they have it but their ideas about sin lead them to like being tied up during sex, so they can pretend to themselves that they arent really sinning because they are being ravished. I guess thats an example of religious beliefs affecting sexual behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Ive also met religious girls who have told me that they dont want to lose their virginity before marriage but are prepared to have anal sex to get around the problem. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    From my experience of Catholic girls, they like sex when they have it but their ideas about sin lead them to like being tied up during sex, so they can pretend to themselves that they arent really sinning because they are being ravished. I guess thats an example of religious beliefs affecting sexual behaviour.
    i think mentally it will be hard for me to go from thinking 'kepp away from sex' to 'sex is good' in one wedding night.

Ive also met religious girls who have told me that they dont want to lose their virginity before marriage but are prepared to have anal sex to get around the problem.
    apparantly in brazil, a mainly catholic country this is what most women do to get around the problem - oral and anal. personally i havent done either

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2006
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.