Journalism,Which to choose?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Frankhoward
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Oversea student asking for help.

I have currently received offers from Brounemouth(MA in MultiMedia Journalism), Nottingham Trent(Broadcast Journalism international), Westminster(International Journalism). I wonder, which one is better in terms of job opportunities. I really want to stay in UK for a one or two years after graduate.

Which one should I choose?

Thanks a lot!
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Frankhoward)

I have currently received offers from Brounemouth(MA in MultiMedia Journalism), Nottingham Trent(Broadcast Journalism international), Westminster(International Journalism). I wonder, which one is better in terms of job opportunities. I really want to stay in UK for a one or two years after graduate.

Thanks a lot!
I would say either nottingham trent or westminster. probably westminster as they may have better links with the london papers and also bbc tv etc but just choose the place you like the best.
malledo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
I would say either nottingham trent or westminster. probably westminster as they may have better links with the london papers and also bbc tv etc but just choose the place you like the best.
Yeah westminster is probably the best to go for journalism
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bournmouth is great for journalism so if you want it for a career thats the place. if you dont want a media career then maybe it isnt the place to go because of the unis overall ranking and reputation, I'm not sure what the universities international reputation is like.
Frankhoward
(Original post by viviki)
Bournmouth is great for journalism so if you want it for a career thats the place. if you dont want a media career then maybe it isnt the place to go because of the unis overall ranking and reputation, I'm not sure what the universities international reputation is like.
Thank you guys! they are really great helps to me.

yap, i want a media career, and want to know how do those big media companies view on Bournemouth. U know, its overall ranking is pretty low.

Another thing, how about the same course in Cardiff. Some say they have the best course in Uk for journalists. Is it truth. Do you think it's a little bit late if I apply it now?
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

yap, i want a media career, and want to know how do those big media companies view on Bournemouth. U know, its overall ranking is pretty low.

Another thing, how about the same course in Cardiff. Some say they have the best course in Uk for journalists. Is it truth. Do you think it's a little bit late if I apply it now?
You can still apply to Cardiff but they have no obligation to consider your application since you've missed the deadline. Cardiff is more academic than the other three you mentioned, I dunno what it's like for journalism though. As far as i know Bornmouth has one of the most established and respected journalism courses in the country
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
westminister
shing_a_ding
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Thanks a lot!
one of my best friends in going to uni to do journalism.

out of nottinghman trent, stirling, cardiff and bournemouth, she is going for bournemouth and cardiff.

apparently bournemouth is the one as whatever line of the media you would like to do, whether it be like the newspaper, or radio or tv they'll try to get you into that. they do not they to force you into e.g. radio if you dont want to.

(also went to nottingham trent to visit with her, we were very impressed as the open day was lame)
little lisa
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shing_a_ding)
one of my best friends in going to uni to do journalism.

out of nottinghman trent, stirling, cardiff and bournemouth, she is going for bournemouth and cardiff.

apparently bournemouth is the one as whatever line of the media you would like to do, whether it be like the newspaper, or radio or tv they'll try to get you into that. they do not they to force you into e.g. radio if you dont want to.

(also went to nottingham trent to visit with her, we were very impressed as the open day was lame)
Hi,

Ive applied to do Journalism at Cardiff too. Has your friend had a reply yet as I am still waiting for an offer (or a refusal) and im getting real real worried!
Frankhoward
Great, now I got a offer from Sheffield and I am totally confused.

Where the well should I go!

I wish only B'mouth has given me the offer! Damn it Sheffield, now I have to do the research all over again!
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I wish only B'mouth has given me the offer! Damn it Sheffield, now I have to do the research all over again!
Well I'm quite a strong candidate for Journalism (apparently) and everybody has these misconceptions about Bournemouth. The best thing to do for it is head for as close to London as possible. Think about it, who is going to be hanging around Bournemouth looking for possible future contacts. I mean I got rejected by there and I'm glad I did because otherwise I'd be stuck in dorset when all the main newspapers are in London.
With my work experience at BBC and News International I was more than a little shocked, I found out my friend got into the course I applied to with A-Levels in Biology, Business Studies.....Further mathematics.
They don't go on experience they look at what grades they can boost their GPA up with.
Your best bet is to go for Westminister and do some freelance on the side. It's no good doing a degree in journalism unless you get your foot in people's door's straightaway. How many budding journalists are out there doing English, History, Politics and getting themselves out there in the first year?
Good luck to ya!
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Go to Sheffield. I looked at their course in their prospectus and it looked really good. And it's a good uni.
Ava
Report 16 years ago

Thanks a lot!

Hi, Ive become a member just so I could reply to this post!!
I've had an offer from Bournemouth to do journalism too (BBC). I've also had offers from Cardiff, Lancashire, Bristol and Glamorgan but having visited them all I would say Bournemouth is deff my fave. Have you been to one of the activity days they do? Ive been down a couple of times and on the activity day about a month ago they showed us all the equipment we'd be using on the course, all the topics we'd be covering, we met the lecturers and some students on the course at the moment, and I was really impressed. They also listed places they regulaly send people on work experience to and there's so much choice. The uni really helps you set up placements, whereas some unis I looked at left it totally to the students.
Last Thursday I went down to Cardiff, and even though it's a higher ranking uni,and they offered me ABB, they said themselves that if you want to go staright into journalism not to do the degree there (they have no accrediations, so you would then have to do a postgraduate degree to be employable as a journalist.)
Bournemouth's recognised particually for having very practical degrees, and at the activity day we were told around 82% of their journalism graduates had jobs within the media after 6months of graduating. Bournemouth also seems like a lovely place to spend 3years, and I'm really hopefull that I'll be starting there this September!!

Good luck whatever you choose! Hope this helped! xxx
Vyse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm in a similar position - holding offers at Bournemouth (BBC) Glamorgan (240pts) and the Surrey Institute of Art & Design (200pts) whilst awaiting replies from Cardiff and Central Lancashire.

I've yet to visit all but the Surrey Institute - although I'm planning trips in the near future. Bournemouth is (probably) my first choice.

From what I've heard, your degree subject is far less important than the skills you aquire. It's about making opportunities for yourself - the university aren't going to do the groundwork for you, you won't secure a job on reputation. Journalism should be a practical subject, in fact it seems to be the very lack of practically that marrs general media degrees. If you want to take a vocational subject then you are best advised to turn to the former polytechnics - the high ranking research-led universities offer theoretical, not practical courses.

And so, if want to take journalism you better be sure you actually want to become a journalist - the scope for expansion into other areas isn't really there.

P.S. Take a look at the graduate first destination data for your chosen course, it offers an excellent insight into what others have achieved.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

You are taking a chance with the degrees that you have stated, it really is 50/50 as to how they are viewed in the market place. Many employers will value them but many will also not take a degree in journalism seriously.
Vyse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, after much deliberation I've decided against undergraduate journalism. Strike what I said before.

Your job prospects don't seem greatly improved as the result of the degree - something I've discovered during a recent work experience placement.

I'll probably enter clearing - I'd like to take the General Humanities degree at Glasgow University, yet my qualifications aren't suitable - A-Level Media, AVCE ICT (Double Award) with AS-Art. Perhaps there's a suitable Access course?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Vyse)
Well, after much deliberation I've decided against undergraduate journalism. Strike what I said before.

Your job prospects don't seem greatly improved as the result of the degree - something I've discovered during a recent work experience placement.

I'll probably enter clearing - I'd like to take the General Humanities degree at Glasgow University, yet my qualifications aren't suitable - A-Level Media, AVCE ICT (Double Award) with AS-Art. Perhaps there's a suitable Access course?
Have you not though of taking a year out for work experience instead?
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i've also heard for journalism that bournemouth is *the* place to go, but i couldn't help agreeing with Danithestudent when she was talking about it being better to be closer to london. there are very few media business in bournemouth and loads more in london, this not only means you'll be ideally placed when you graduate, but you'll also be in a position to get some work experience while you are doing your degree.
oh_sweet_surrey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Vyse)

Take a year out, apply to do journalism/media at a university thats somewhere in the top 20. Seriously, if you want to get into media industry, some of the top employers do require degrees in media related courses. Choosing to do humanities at some poor uni through clearing just makes you even more miserable.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (235)
39.36%
Take autumn exams (178)
29.82%
Look for a job (20)
3.35%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.85%
Take a year out (106)
17.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.86%

Watched Threads