The Student Room Group

OCR AS Law exam - Sources of Law- May 30th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JLXP
haha, no problem :biggrin: How did you do in jan?

I got an A just though- 64 UMS!
It's a hard paper though to be fair :smile:
Original post by Harriet : )

Well done :biggrin: I need an A, got a high A in the ELS paper, so fingers crossed
Reply 82

Got any tips on getting an A? :biggrin:
Reply 83
Im finding judicial precedent very tricky should i skip it or is it almost certain to be on the paper?
Original post by JLXP
Well done :biggrin: I need an A, got a high A in the ELS paper, so fingers crossed

Haha coping for a high on ELS myself too! Surely it was a struggle to learn all the content before January? :smile:

Original post by jk122
Got any tips on getting an A? :biggrin:

I did lots of past papers- went through them all, any questions I didn't know how to answer I looked at the markscheme and made a mind map for, then tested myself on it! Loads of statues and cases are great too. To be honest, in class tests when we did past papers I was always 1 or 2 off an A sometimes just scraping so it was just good planning and luck I'd say!
I found this don't know if its useful for anyone
Reply 85
Haha coping for a high on ELS myself too! Surely it was a struggle to learn all the content before January? :smile:

I did lots of past papers- went through them all, any questions I didn't know how to answer I looked at the markscheme and made a mind map for, then tested myself on it! Loads of statues and cases are great too. To be honest, in class tests when we did past papers I was always 1 or 2 off an A sometimes just scraping so it was just good planning and luck I'd say!
I found this don't know if its useful for anyone

Ah sounds like a good way of revising... Thats really good you got an A well done :biggrin: I looked at that word document looks like it could be a judicial precedent and delegated legislation paper :smile:
Original post by jk122
Ah sounds like a good way of revising... Thats really good you got an A well done :biggrin: I looked at that word document looks like it could be a judicial precedent and delegated legislation paper :smile:

Thank you :colondollar: Was there anything in particular you were struggling with in regards to judicial precedent? :smile:
Reply 87
Thank you :colondollar: Was there anything in particular you were struggling with in regards to judicial precedent? :smile:

Yes the whole chapter pretty much lol.. i know for a fact its going to be on there so skipping it completely is too big of a risk dont you think? :biggrin:
Original post by atti.08
Sorry for butting in :biggrin: got any tips for revising all of the cases for judicial precedent? There are wayyy too many and it doesn't help that I get distracted pretty easily when revising ;D

No don't worry! :smile: A few pages back near the start I uploaded a sheet I made with all the cases you need to know, 1 for each example you need, have a look on there might help you :smile: Get people to test you on them, like I used the sheet and got my mum to read out the description like what it can be used as an example of and then I'd say the case name :smile:

Original post by jk122
Yes the whole chapter pretty much lol.. i know for a fact its going to be on there so skipping it completely is too big of a risk dont you think? :biggrin:

Probably :/ I'd really urge you to look at the markschemes- they generally repeat the points so you could just memorise them in fairness :smile:
I don't want to clog the thread so feel free to PM specific question or just particular bits you don't understand and I'll help you if you want :smile:
Original post by atti.08
Thanks! Is it alright if I PM you if I need anything else? :biggrin:

Yeah that's no problem :smile:
Reply 90
I reckon delegated and law reform will come. Unlikely to be stat int as that came up in Jan 2012. Judicial has come up 3 consecutive June's
Reply 91
Original post by atti.08
I'm hoping it's judicial precedent. I also think law reform will be on with one of them but if del leg is on its an easy topic, but I think the questions are gonna be insanely awkward and dodgy :/

Do you think SI and EU will defo not be on there? Im not sure if i should cover them or not :confused: have you done them? :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by atti.08
Well my teacher did say if the exam board are going to be sneaky they could put SI and JP together. Or either EU and Del Leg. We haven't done EU because they don't teach it in my college so if EU is on then I have one option! Just hoping stat interpretation isn't on there's just too much to learn. :frown: but apparently judicial precedent looks like a contender :biggrin:

oh god i hope they dont do that cos i havent even touched SI or EU :frown: i defo know JP will be on there which im not liking lol
Reply 93
Original post by atti.08
I love judicial precedent! Which is odd :biggrin: I know everything apart from advantages and disadvantages. Is it possible legislation might be on with del leg? Because that means I'll have to learn what every stage of producing a bill is :frown:

Really thats wicked :biggrin: im still trying to learn the court of appeal :frown:
Yeah they could do that i think they did that in june 2011 it doesnt take long learning each stage legislation doesnt really come up much though i think law reform is likely to come up with DL... Did you do ELS on thursday or did you do it in jan? :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by atti.08
If you need help for court of appeal I'm here! :smile: I did ELS in January, I'd rather do another ELS paper than sources, I really am odd haha :biggrin: what about you, did you do the one on Thursday? :smile:

Aww thank you il most probs PM you if i need any help :smile: haha same here the content in ELS is way easier to understand although there is more to learn i really dont like sources cant wait till its over :biggrin: Yeah i did the one on thursday was ok i think lol.. how did you do in jan?
Reply 95
Original post by atti.08
Thats alright! Maybe i can learn stuff if i revise with someone else :biggrin: I know right and it's remotely interesting compared to sources haha. I found ELS easier to learn, I knew everything off by heart which is strange aha. I got a B, messed up on the appeals question so I had to scribble it out and start again with 5 minutes left of the exam! I was surprised with the result haha. What were the questions like on Thursday? I bet magistrates was on!

Yeah i usually learn a lot when i study with someone :biggrin: its interesting but longgg lol.. Well done on getting a B you probs would of got an A if you had more time for appeals.. Yes mags was on there i was so happy when i saw that question haha.. legal profession, police powers, funding, bail and civil cases oh and sentening came up i kinda needed another 5 mins though for the last question i rushed it my handwriting was awful hope they can actually read it lol
Reply 96
Original post by atti.08
Same, but I don't go back into college until the exam so I have to revise by myself but I can't motivate myself haha. I revised magistrates so much for January and it didn't even come up I was soo gutted but oh well! I'm sure they'll be able to read it sounds like an alright paper, even though I hate civil and sentencing. Were they worded badly?

Yeah me too its really difficult to get motivated i get distracted very quickly which doesnt help lol.. ahh thats annoying mags is probs the easiest chapter after ADR.. the wording on a few questions was slighty dodgy but other then that it was alright just hope ive done enough for a decent grade :biggrin: x
Hi guys

My teacher said the practise statement and law reform is likely to come up :smile:
Reply 98
As stat int and EU came up in Jan 2012, they both won't come up together in our exam. So you probably could get away without revising these two as long as you know the rest well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
This is ridiculous as I re-sat sources of law for a second time and i got a U again ! I revised soooooo much !! I'm re-doing the paper for a third time on wednesday I don't know what I'm doing wrong, both occasions I did Statutory Interpretation, so this time I'm gunna have to go for another topic. I am 100% sure that delegated legislation or judiciant will come up. It's just a question of what it will come up with, or if both come up, I'm praying that delegated legislation comes up !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending