How can I revise effectively for Science GCSE exams? Watch

ScienceConfusion
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, my biology exam is on this time next month. I feel like breaking down! I have been revising bits and pieces, mainly for chem and maths though..biology has a lot of bulk and things to learn for and to be honest, I am woeful at any type of science. I'm a visual learner and the revision techniques I've been using so far have failed significantly. I got D's in all my maths and science mocks. How will I revise effectively for Sciences..mainly biology? Also, Maths please if you can spare the time? I really want A's. thank you, much appreciated!
Hughsie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Revision Books helped me get an A in Biology, A* in Chemistry and an A in Physics (physics was some sort of miracle). Also I got an A in maths but I think Ive always had a general 'nack' for it. Depends what exam boards your doing but the revision books are good. Also, go through past papers and make notes on the mark schemes, DO NOT make notes through a huge textbook, Ive did that before and its the complete wrong way to revise.
Dandaman9999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
PAST PAPERS!

Never go wrong with these
Mediterrasian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The CGP books are amazing! I'm doing GCSE Science as well and last year, when I did three of my Science exams, everything that came up was all in the CGP books. They got me A* in each exam even though Physics... jheeze.

Literally, get them and read them when you can, then read them whole the day before and bring them on the day of your exam to look over the topics you find most difficult. It works wonders.

And like someone has said, past papers! That's pretty much the best way for Maths because you can get an idea on the sort of questions that come up, and then the mark schemes show you workings on any you get stuck on.
kingtaco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
First of all, your mock results do not matter the slightest.

Get yourself a CGP revision guide specifically for your exam board. Make notes. Then read through them a few times. Then re-write and condense the notes. Keep doing this until your can explain a topic or process from a few bullet points.

Then start those past papers. When you mark them, make sure you understand where you went wrong from the mark scheme before you move on. If the mark scheme doesn't make sense, ask your teacher.

Good luck with your exams
cuckoo99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
em i achieved an A at additional science by using a questions book that came with my OCR 21st century additional science revision guide( i think thats what its called). After using the revision guides use past papers
Magenta96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most people say try CGP books, I wish they'd work for me but I suppose everyone learns differently. CGP books just have loads of text on one page and so I just switch off and think I'm absorbing all the content when I'm not. Instead I tend to just use it for light reading.

The Nelson Thornes books however have a ton of questions built into each sub topic so there's no way you can answer those questions until you understand the topic fully. I probably have a low concentration span and so I need those questions whereas others can absorb all the content.

So try either one of those books above ^
ScienceConfusion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for all the replies everyone..I've bought a CGP book for science!! They didn't have one for CCEA but I looked at them on the website and the contents pages had all the same topics in my specification. I'm also going to print out some CCEA past papers and I bought CGP workbooks and past papers, plus a maths CGP book, well equipped ! thank you. Good luck in your exams everyone!
gooner4ever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do the following three steps:
1) First ensure that you have revised everything from the Exam Board's textbook
2) Then read a revision book like CGP
3) Finally, leave plenty of time for past papers and ensure that when you mark them you revise the topics where you lost marks in.
Good luck! and remember to be both realistic and optimistic!
starfish232
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Past papers are the way really. If you feel that you won't be able to cover all the topics than just do the ones you find hard and then do past papers as over the years, past papers have covered mostly everything so that might be something you might want to do.

Also, for maths, past papers are very important so just do as many as you can and be sure to ask teachers for topics you're unsure about and you should do well.

Good luck!
Leo1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have my science exams too, I find working through revision guides and watching revision videos which really helps - http://www.my-gcsescience.com/revision/additional.
For maths pastpapers are important as well as topic based papers - http://www.bland.in/GCSE%20Maths/.
Make a note on all the topics in your syllabus and as you fully understand them start to cross them off, once everything is crossed if you are ready!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Tayhiddleston
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try making a revision folder! Depends on how you see the world, use images and colours and don't put too much info on one page! In the exam work out what topic it is eg kidneys and you will remember the page in you folder and see the information where it is on the page! It really works for me
HintChoc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.my-gcsescience.com
I went from a D to a A thanks to these videos for P1 C1 and B1, You have to pay a little extra to get unit 2 !
the big boy 1112
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that is not a good way just do what makes you happy when you revise
the big boy 1112
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
look around you books and school books
Boktiii
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You obviously got a good grade in English telling from your sentences. 'I've did that before' doesn't make sense. Its 'I've done that before'. Okay
I am joking but be careful when you write
CookieHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What I usually do is collect as much scientific content I can retrieve over the internet and read them over and over again. IMO, past papers are only useful for data questions like when you want to know how to increase confidence and all those bullship questions.
emilyisthebst
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
where can I get past papers from??
Mathsqueen
Badges: 9
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emilyisthebst)
where can I get past papers from??
http://www.aqa.org.uk
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.html
http://www.ocr.org.uk
http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk
Weirdosworld
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So how do u revise with the books if u don't write notes?? I really need this xthanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.98%
The paper was reasonable (1104)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.98%
It was TERRIBLE (293)
12.38%

Watched Threads