The Student Room Group

What is the most fundamental subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by illusionz
One of the things I dislike more than any other on this site is people who care so much about rep they bother to edit posts to complain they got neg rep. Does it really matter that much to you?

I've got nothing wrong with recieving neg rep, hell I know half of the things I post deserve it. I was just genuinely curious as to how anybody in their right mind thought that my response to this post was worth negging.
Reply 81
Original post by AtomSmasher
Fun Fact: Starting on any Wikipedia page at all, if you click the first link that isn't in brackets/quotation marks and keep following these links, you eventually get to the page 'Philosophy'. Works almost every time.

:eek3: For the lolz I tried this starting on Miley Cyrus. I mean how can that even work?!

(Actually, in fairness, I know how it works. At some point you get to word X coming from the Latin / Greek - and Latin or whatever (which is a link) is a language. And that pulls you into a loop going Human / Species / Biology / Natural Science / Science / Knowledge / Fact / Experience / Concept -------> Philosophy. It's still very cool)

Also, surprised nobody has linked:
(edited 12 years ago)
Fun Fact: Starting on any Wikipedia page at all, if you click the first link that isn't in brackets/quotation marks and keep following these links, you eventually get to the page 'Philosophy'. Works almost every time.

Random Article: Syedna Abdullah Badruddin
Da'i al-Mutlaq
Arabic Language
Modern Standard Arabic
Standard Language
Variety (linguistics)
Sociolinguistics
Society
Interpersonal relationship
Inference
Logic
Philosophy

Mind blown!
By definition, the Philosophy Wikipedia Rule also applies to Ontology as it is the first link outside of brackets etc. in the Philosophy article :yes:
Reply 84
Original post by Pen Island
Oh my God it works!
Is it weird that I find that really amazing?!? :tongue: Haha

I tried it as well, thinking, that cant be true. cant believe it works!
Media studies. Where would mankind be today without adverts?
Reply 86
What a brilliant rebuttal. I guess that's me put in my place.

Cute sarcasm. Rebuttals are not necessary when you say something stupid (which your "maths precedes logic" statement certainly was), normally people just point and laugh; alas that is not possible here, so I opted for a succinct 'no'.

There is a very good reason why most (if not all) undergraduate Mathematics courses have a logic module incorporated into them: logic is the foundation of human thought, and therefore is the foundation of mathematics. Now, I understand to the uninitiated - meaning you - anything that uses variables and symbols will automatically looks like 'maths', but this is not the case.
Reply 87
Original post by D.R.E

There is a very good reason why most (if not all) undergraduate Mathematics courses have a logic module incorporated into them: logic is the foundation of human thought, and therefore is the foundation of mathematics. Now, I understand to the uninitiated - meaning you - anything that uses variables and symbols will automatically looks like 'maths', but this is not the case.

no
Reply 88
Original post by around
no

I like you. Good sense of humour :smile:
Original post by D.R.E
Cute sarcasm. Rebuttals are not necessary when you say something stupid (which your "maths precedes logic" statement certainly was), normally people just point and laugh; alas that is not possible here, so I opted for a succinct 'no'.

That would indeed be a stupid thing to say. However, if you had read what I actually posted you would have noticed that my opinion was exactly the opposite:
The only thing that precedes it [maths] is logic...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
I'll tolerant of your need to sate your very obvious superiority complex, but at least ensure that you're actually correct before doing so.

Oh... My bad! Apologies. I misread that rather badly. :colondollar:
Original post by D.R.E
Oh... My bad! Apologies. I misread that rather badly. :colondollar:

I, too, am sorry. I'm glad to see we're in agreement now. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ha, his misreading gave you a post with 24 pos reps :biggrin:
Reply 93
I'd like to how anyone could possibly justify the claim that computer science is more fundamental than physics, philosophy, or maths.
Reply 94
Original post by JacobW
I'd like to how anyone could possibly justify the claim that computer science is more fundamental than physics, philosophy, or maths.

See my post on page 3.
Reply 95
Original post by Blutooth
See my post on page 3.

You make an interesting case for computer science being potentialy essential for particular developments in mathematics and physics; I don't know enough about the subject to evaluate it. But if we distinguish between the relationships between subjects' practical applications and those between their epistemic and conceptual featured (which is what 'fundamental' refers to), I think it's pretty clear that philosophy is the most fundamental.

We don't have to know anything about computer science to do philosophy; nor do we have to utilise the conceptual schema on which it relies. To do computer science, however, we have to employ the conceptual schema of philosophy and make philosophical assumptions. If the subject is to be anything other than utterly groundless speculation, therefore, we have philosophise first.
Reply 96
Original post by JacobW
You make an interesting case for computer science being potentialy essential for particular developments in mathematics and physics; I don't know enough about the subject to evaluate it. But if we distinguish between the relationships between subjects' practical applications and those between their epistemic and conceptual featured (which is what 'fundamental' refers to), I think it's pretty clear that philosophy is the most fundamental.

We don't have to know anything about computer science to do philosophy; nor do we have to utilise the conceptual schema on which it relies. To do computer science, however, we have to employ the conceptual schema of philosophy and make philosophical assumptions. If the subject is to be anything other than utterly groundless speculation, therefore, we have philosophise first.

Thank you,

I think philosophy is very fundamental, but I see philosophy or at least 'philosophical reasoning' as bound up with serious academic study in most disciplines. I think there is all to often a tendency to consider philosophy as a discipline totally separate from all others, but in fact I believe most serious work done by philosophers are done by those who are also linguists or mathematicians or economists etc. Naom Chomsky was a linguist. Godel was a mathematician first then a philosopher. Rene Descartes was a mathematician come physicist and also a philosopher.

Philosophy is bound to a particular kind of enquiry- be it in mathematics, Computer science or Politics- and without a territory to explore there can be no discoveries in that field of philosophy.

This is why I think philosophy, whilst exploring the assumptions of some theoretical framework, cannot be said to be more fundamental than that particular framework- be it maths or science. Because without a subject of enquiry, there can be no philosophical questions to be asked. How can you walk where there is no ground? I see philosophy more as a tool, a kind of reasoning that explores the foundations; a philosoph is after all just a lover of wisdom... but in what field? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Thank you,
I think philosophy is very fundamental, but I see philosophy or at least 'philosophical reasoning' as bound up with serious academic study in most disciplines. I think there is all to often a tendency to consider philosophy as a discipline totally separate from all others, but in fact I believe most serious work done by philosophers are done by those who are also linguists or mathematicians or economists etc. Naom Chomsky was a linguist. Godel was a mathematician first then a philosopher. Rene Descartes was a mathematician come physicist and also a philosopher.

It certainly was; but that proves little or nothing about the conceptual and epistemic relationships between the fields of study themselves.

Philosophy is bound to a particular kind of enquiry- be it in mathematics, Computer science or Politics- and without a territory to explore there can be no discoveries in that field of philosophy.

I don't see that, say, epistemology, is bound to any other kind of enquiry. Even if we have knowledge except that derived from everyday experience and common sense, we can still ask what it's necessary and sufficient conditions are.

This is why I think philosophy, whilst exploring the assumptions of some theoretical framework, cannot be said to be more fundamental than that particular framework- be it maths or science. Because without a subject of enquiry, there can be no philosophical questions to be asked. How can you walk where there is no ground? I see philosophy more as a tool, a kind of reasoning that explores the foundations; a philosoph is after all just a lover of wisdom... but in what field? :tongue:

Of course there can be no philosophy without a world and sentient beings to think about it; but the dependency of philosophising on atoms and energy no more entails the dependency of philosophy on the physical sciences than the dependency of the application of the scientific method on a stable and non-totalitarian state entails that of electromagnetic fields on the British constitution!
The methods of employed by mathematics and physics or any other field of enquiry using deductive or inductive reasoning depend for their truth-producing power on the truth of philosophical assumptions made by those subjects; consequently our knowledge of those subjects depends on our knowing these assumptions to be true. It’s not knowledge if it’s not properly justified: all knowledge rests at bottom on philosophy.
Reply 98
Define "fundamental" in this context.
Reply 99

Ever heard of the Turing-Church thesis? This is a computer science thesis about the nature of functions which are calculable, which was proved by Turing to be equivalent to Godel's incompleteness theorem. For those who don't know, Godel's theorem states that mathematics is either incomplete or inconsistent; that there are facts in mathematics that are true and can never be proved to be so.

Of course Godel's statement doesn't actually say that there are facts in mathematics that are true but can never proved to be so, although it's probably true. Any axiomatic system devised for mathematics is only going to be a page or two long right?

But then, if we are taking a practical point of view, why do we even need Godel's theorem anyway - there are mathematical statements that take a trillion pages to write down, how are we ever going to prove those trillion page statements, or even understand them?

It's also not clear what the point of getting an axiomatic system to prove it's own consistency is. If you don't trust the system anyway because it might be inconsistent, why believe what it says on the matter of its own consistency?

Once you've let the "practical" cat out of the bag, the importance of Godel's theorem is perhaps more that it proved the impossibility of what David Hilbert and other mathematicians were trying to do at the time in the 1930s. They were trying to take a small set of "safe" principles, and use those principles to prove the consistency of a larger set of "unsafe" principles, which contained the smaller set as a subset.

This is just what Godel showed, assuming a few technical conditions that all systems of any theorem-proving power satisfy. you couldn't do. In fact he showed more than that (the axiomatic systems don't have to be such that one contains the other).

I'm sure you know this already in some form, I'm just trying to put across what I think the significance of Godel's theorems are, from a practical point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending