Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a research project on videogames and their affects on culture and, in turn, cultures effect on videogames. Sounds boring i know but i need your help!

Do you think that violent video games are a reflection of violence already existing in society(including violence portrayed on the news) or do you think that the violence in our society is increased because of violence portrayed in videogames, films and on television (excluding the news).

Please give your explanation of how you feel on this subject-even if your opinion doesn't relate to my exact question, i'd still like to know what you think!

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I believe violence in video games and movies is a form of escapism for us as violence is socially unacceptable. It allows us to indulge in violent activities without victimising anyone. Those who play a video game and try to recreate the violence they observe, are mentally retarded, in my opinion.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    After playing Grand Theft Auto once, I hijacked a car, did a drive by shooting and took the police on a 5 mile car chase before escaping into a muti-storey car park and taking random pedestrians out with my sniper rifle. I also managed to down a couple of helicopters with my rocket launcher, which I was carrying in my pocket. I think Grand Theft Auto is responsible for this, because I was frustrated in my attempts to complete a certain mission, and left the house that morning in a really bad mood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    After playing Grand Theft Auto once, I hijacked a car, did a drive by shooting and took the police on a 5 mile car chase before escaping into a muti-storey car park and taking random pedestrians out with my sniper rifle. I also managed to down a couple of helicopters with my rocket launcher, which I was carrying in my pocket. I think Grand Theft Auto is responsible for this, because I was frustrated in my attempts to complete a certain mission, and left the house that morning in a really bad mood.
    :confused: :eek:

Do you think that violent video games are a reflection of violence already existing in society(including violence portrayed on the news) or do you think that the violence in our society is increased because of violence portrayed in videogames, films and on television (excluding the news).
    Various psychologists have done experiments on this, and have found that even just watching a violent video can make them more violent when playing with toys afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    If you've ever played Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, you'll know that it's appeal is that it is simply an absolutely excellent game which involves a great deal of skill in order to complete. I personally just love the freedom to go anywhere in the entire city and just cause random havoc, rather than completing the required missions. Excellent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    If you've ever played Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, you'll know that it's appeal is that it is simply an absolutely excellent game which involves a great deal of skill in order to complete. I personally just love the freedom to go anywhere in the entire city and just cause random havoc, rather than completing the required missions. Excellent!
    Lol, sounds fun!

ReputationRep:
    Comuter games do not make well adjusted, mentaly able, mature people violent. Only the tiny, tiny minority of people with an inability to tell reality from fantisy will change their lives in a violent way. These people would probably get into trouble in other ways for the same reason, they are too open to suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Comuter games do not make well adjusted, mentaly able, mature people violent. Only the tiny, tiny minority of people with an inability to tell reality from fantisy will change their lives in a violent way. These people would probably get into trouble in other ways for the same reason, they are too open to suggestion.
    these people would get in trouble if they hang around with the wrong people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluewolf)
    I'm doing a research project on videogames and their affects on culture and, in turn, cultures effect on videogames. Sounds boring i know but i need your help!

Please give your explanation of how you feel on this subject-even if your opinion doesn't relate to my exact question, i'd still like to know what you think!

Thankyou!

no they are not

ReputationRep:
    I think that violent computer games, do not neccessarily make people more violent. paraphrasing what someone else said, violence is socially unnaceptable, any form of it. before, many people participated in sport or in rigorous exercise quite often. Nowdays, we hardly participate in these kinds of activites, we will 'office' lives. wake up, eat breakfast, go to skool, get home, do hwk, eat, go on internet, watch tv, sleep. by the way, this is not my typical day, i just broke down a simple typical lifestyle. anyway, there is no exercis there.

now competietive sports like football, tennis, racing, rugby have some sort of aggresivness to them. i believe, that participating in this form of sports take some aggression out of our system. but, because of the type of life we have now, this aggression builds up in some people.

in mentaly unstable people, this aggression builds up, doesn't get dissipated and has to be expelled out, sometimes in very violent forms.

IMO, aggressive video games, just serve to use up the aggression. if you are able to tell the difference between fiction and reality, you have no problem. while you play you might be 'killing' polygons formed in the shape of a human being, your brain kan tell that that person is not real, it does not have feelings, its sole purpose there is to be killed.

im a normal calm person, you kant really get me mad. and if you do, i might get angry for about a minute or so, and then i forget about it and act normal, i do not swallow the anger, it just dissapears. however, when i play games like True Crimetreets of LA, then i go a bit crazy and mow the people down, and crash the cars, blow up things. however, i do not feel like doing this in real life, kos there are real lives at stake. and also actions in real life have consequences.also, i do not play these games very often, i dont have a console. at the moment, i do not belive that these games pose a risk to 'my' health, but maybe prolonged useage of the games might screw up your mind. if you played it for ages and ages on end, without any breaks, mayeb your mind would start to have trouble separating reality from fiction, and then problems will start.

ReputationRep:
    All problems with vilolence in young people are blamed on either video games or angry rock music, which is of course utter tripe. I regularly play violent games, and watch violent programs, but I am not violent, I am a rather passive individual. I think that violent games might even be a positive influence to me, it allows to to harmlessly vent my anger and frustration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Various psychologists have done experiments on this, and have found that even just watching a violent video can make them more violent when playing with toys afterwards.
    I personally believe that this is just due to the adrenalin rush you get when playing violent games. I think that violent games are mainly the reflection of violence in our culture, exaggerated by some imaginations. They act as stress-relief and escapism for most people and it is only an unbalanced few who are affected in an extreme way.

ReputationRep:
    Video games are helpful in this culture. They are a useful tool for people, and i think are actually benefitial to most people.
    If a person is violent in their nature, a game may be a catalist, but it is never the cause of the problems.
    They are brilliant for having simple blasts of fun, or for being more gripping than any movie, and alot better for you. They help, on the most part, keep your mind active and stimulated, and provide suitable challenges for people, giving them something to aspire towards, however trivial it may ultimately be.
    They are also for a socially acceptable release of aggression. Either directly (in the form of some sort of shooting, fighting etc. game), or indirectly, in the displaced frustration at the game, retargeting aggression from inappropriate targets (relations, animals, polititions etc.).

ReputationRep:
    Soem of you may find it interesting to compare teh "Our culture promotes violence" idea with eth FBI profile of the typical teenager to start shooting people at school:

School shooter profile accourding to FBI (Source: discovery channel)

White Male, upper middle class, no major problems or abuses at home, typically quiet and reasonable, few incidents of previous problems in school, typically not a "troublemaker". Very rarely abuses cigarettes or alcohol, frequently a previous mob victim. Social outsider. typically suecidic. No psychopatic tendences, normal or high inteligence.

But fo course, when some kid shoots a dousin of his classmates, media is very quick to blame drugs, bad parents, violent movies, rock stars, western culture, hip hop music, rap culture, etc etc...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.