The Student Room Group

Most med schools ask for 7 A*. What about your other GCSEs?

They all ask for 6 or 7 A*s but what about the 3 or 4 other GCSEs you get. Do they have to be As or can they be Bs and Cs also?
It's not always like that. I know people who are studying medicine at a Russell Group University who only got 3 A*s.
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaOB
They all ask for 6 or 7 A*s but what about the 3 or 4 other GCSEs you get. Do they have to be As or can they be Bs and Cs also?

the only med school that I know of that actually REQUIRES 7A*s is Birmingham.
I don't think any others actually require a certain amount of A*s, they have just probably stated that most candidates have had an average of that or had a strong set of A*s and As at GCSE.
Reply 3
No they don't. Unlike other degrees, good GCSEs certainly help a lot, but there are lots of medics who only got a few A*

I don't think there is a rule on what to get but try to get at least an A/B in Maths, Sciences and English
Reply 4
I know Birmingham ask for 7 A*s, but apart from that i dont think other universities ask for a certain amount of A*s at GCSE :smile:
Reply 5
this is untrue ...birmingham require 6 -7 A* ( i emailed them) but most applicants apply with 8 +

also oxford recommend 80* of grades to A*

all other uni's do not set a limit really and many consider apllication for interviews through UKCAT or some BMAT

your other GCSE can consist of a C ( but that does put you at disadantage from what i observe on here ) as long as you get above a C in maths + english and DEFINATELY chemistry !!!
Reply 6
Your sources are ****. You can get in with much less than that, with exceptional schools mentioned above.
Reply 7
i have 2A*s and got offers from 2 medical schools this year......
Reply 8
Original post by LCM2
i have 2A*s and got offers from 2 medical schools this year......

Yh but how many A's did you get?
Original post by EmmaOB

Original post by vik94

Unfortunately the OP is just plain wrong.

I got 3A*, 5A, 3B at GCSE. Having average GCSE's only slightly limits the med schools that one can apply to.

(received 2 offers (3 interviews) this time round)
Reply 10
Some people seem to think Cardiff only require 5. It works on a point system at Cardiff so there isn't a designated amount of A*s but around 6 or possibly even 7 would be required, and that's assuming you have a further 2 or 3 A grades.
Reply 11
Original post by Steerforth
Unfortunately the OP is just plain wrong.

I got 3A*, 5A, 3B at GCSE. Having average GCSE's only slightly limits the med schools that one can apply to.

(received 2 offers (3 interviews) this time round)

if you don't mind me asking what med schools you get offers from?
Reply 12
Original post by vik94

i got 8
Reply 13
Original post by LCM2
i got 8

you med schools did you get offers from if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Mr Young
if you don't mind me asking what med schools you get offers from?

I got offers from Manchester and Newcastle, and withdrew from Glasgow before they got back to me after interview.

Do your homework on where to apply and it makes the chances of gaining an offer much higher.
2A* 1A 6B's 1C two offers this year.
If you apply tactically GCSE's don't mean anything really.
Reply 16
Original post by Steerforth
I got offers from Manchester and Newcastle, and withdrew from Glasgow before they got back to me after interview.

Do your homework on where to apply and it makes the chances of gaining an offer much higher.

well done on your offers!! 2 offers is still amazing ,in my eyes, for medicine.

I want to apply for Law however and as you said try and do your homework to the universities you apply, and I realise Law is not as competitive as medicine but still pretty fierce. How would you say I go about applying and actually getting a place?
Reply 17
This made my heart race for a while. :frown:
Reply 18
...I only got one A* and yet I got 2 offers?
Reply 19
I got 3A* and an offer....

Quick Reply