Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AS: Xylem and Phloem Watch

ReputationRep:
    God almighty, it seems like I have been doing xylem and phloem for months and I still know little to none. Can anyone give me good solid notes with key info? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    This is biology. Plant biology. There is nothing to "get". You're obviously not memorizing hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I mean, I have no notes to memorize from? Like I dont know half of the stuff on xylem or phloem, Im aware that it is factual and therefore has to be learn rather than worked out.

ReputationRep:
    Get a text book or something?

ReputationRep:
    Xylem contains two pathways
    Symplast -goes through the living parts of the cell-the cytoplasm.The cytoplasm of neighbouring cells connect through plasmodesmata.

Apoplast goes through the non-living parts of the cell-the cell wall.The walls are absorbent and water can simply diffuse through them.

Apolplast pathway gets to the endodermis cells ,its path is blocked by a waxy strip in the cell wall called the Casparian strip.As a result water goes through symplast pathway. Useful because it has to go through a cell membrane .Once past this barrier ,the water moves into the xylem vessel.

ReputationRep:
    Xylem is in the vascular bundle, it helps to support the plant and it transports water and mineral ions in the plant.
    Phloem transports sucrose through the plant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lama88)
    Xylem contains two pathways
    Symplast -goes through the living parts of the cell-the cytoplasm.The cytoplasm of neighbouring cells connect through plasmodesmata.

Apoplast goes through the non-living parts of the cell-the cell wall.The walls are absorbent and water can simply diffuse through them.

Apolplast pathway gets to the endodermis cells ,its path is blocked by a waxy strip in the cell wall called the Casparian strip.As a result water goes through symplast pathway. Useful because it has to go through a cell membrane .Once past this barrier ,the water moves into the xylem vessel.
    Erm... those are the pathways to the xylem, from the root hair cells. Not the pathways along/through the xylem.

OP: I'd advise getting hold of a textbook, that should contain anything and everything that you're expected to know about them, and you can just learn that.
    Notes are fallible, textbooks ought not be.

ReputationRep:
    yeah they are .
    I know the ones also in the xylem vessels via cohesion tension mechanism and root pressure .

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.