The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 - Tectonics (and structuring!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hahah fair enough :P and dont worry i wasnt offended

nahh you wouldnt get anything knocked off for that, Degg is just the 'correct' way to spell it
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Has anyone thought of any theories/models and how to use them yet? This is the bit I struggle with!

The Park Model is a definite, you can use it as many times as you want as long as you are applying it to case studies. For example, if I wanted to compare Haiti and Japan's hazard responses I'd put them both on one Park Model and annotate it.

The Degg/Dregg model could be good in the intro to help with defining a hazard.

I need to do a bit more work on the Disaster Management cycle and spectrum of approaches model but I think I'll try squeeze both of those in there somehow!
Original post by latasauce
Degg's Model = Dregg's Model

There's some confusion over his name, I was told with confidence that Degg is the correct spelling - I'm sure they won't penalize for such a minor error regardless.

The DNA Model of Complexity shows that factors which affect the impacts of a tectonic hazard are inextricably linked, much like two strands of DNA. Basically, everything affects everything else. I can't find anything about it on google, but as far as I'm aware it was coined by David Petley of Durham University.

We emailed the chief examiner about Degg/Dregg, it is definitely Martin Degg who proposed the model but due to the widespread incorrect spelling of his name, Edexcel will accept both Degg and Dregg.
I was thinking of structuring it by factor, so far I have thought of:
Economic development- California Vs Bam (iran)
Preparedness- Haiti Vs Japan OR Montserrat Vs Hawaii
Geographical location- close to population, geography of the area (mountains ect) Kashmir for example, can't think of one to compare to thought
Political systems- can't think of any case studies for this factor though, Help !

Then I was going to talk about short term and long term responses and players for each of the factors.
Some of the players include: Governments, Planners, NGO's, rescue workers, engineers, local people
Also some models: Disaster response curve and the response analysis framework
Original post by LauraJane_24
I was thinking of structuring it by factor, so far I have thought of:
Economic development- California Vs Bam (iran)
Preparedness- Haiti Vs Japan OR Montserrat Vs Hawaii
Geographical location- close to population, geography of the area (mountains ect) Kashmir for example, can't think of one to compare to thought
Political systems- can't think of any case studies for this factor though, Help !

Then I was going to talk about short term and long term responses and players for each of the factors.
Some of the players include: Governments, Planners, NGO's, rescue workers, engineers, local people
Also some models: Disaster response curve and the response analysis framework

That looks pretty good to me :tongue:

For political factors, I have membership of IGO's (e.g World Bank, IMF) and political stability (e.g Eritrea, a war torn country found it hard to manage the Nabro Volcano eruption)
Reply 45
All this is really helpful. As I am resitting I don't have alot of help from my teachers, I was wondering if anyone had any useful powerpoints or key words sheets they could possibly put up? Thanks
How is everyone studying for this exam?

Have you basically written a model report and learning it off by heart or just preparing a general outline and a bunch of case studies to adapt it to the specific question?
Reply 47
Original post by flying_ifan
How is everyone studying for this exam?

Have you basically written a model report and learning it off by heart or just preparing a general outline and a bunch of case studies to adapt it to the specific question?

This is a tricky one! Maybe you could write a model intro but I wouldn't do a model report just in case the question takes a slightly different take on the pre-release info - you need to make sure that the report actually answers the question instead of giving a sort of overview - as long as each point you make links back to the question you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 48
Anybody have any question predictions?? :smile:
Original post by oli2wd
Anybody have any question predictions?? :smile:

The general consensus seems to be that it'll be something along the lines of...

Evaluate the effectiveness of a range of responses used by different groups of people to deal with tectonic hazards in a variety of locations.

I'm working on the assumption that, if not that, it's got to be something pretty damn close :wink:
Our Geography teacher is setting us a mock exam on Thursday with the following question:

"The effectiveness of responses used by different groups of people to cope with tectonic hazards is influenced by a range of factors." Discuss.
Original post by PurpleJazz
Our Geography teacher is setting us a mock exam on Thursday with the following question:

"The effectiveness of responses used by different groups of people to cope with tectonic hazards is influenced by a range of factors." Discuss.

That one looks pretty good too - essentially, though, you'd be answering pretty much the same thing, albeit with a few tweaks, I find :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by PurpleJazz

THANKS! might give this one a go myself too :smile:
I have lots of responses to various earthquakes/tsunamis/volcanoes etc but finding out WHO responded and WHO was most successful/effective is appearing difficult - any ideas? I know obvs governments etc. but if anyone could give me some ideas of where to look that would be helpful because I ahve about 10 case studies to get in!! Also PurpleJazz I like your question :smile: and agree that whatever it is the same intro and routes of enquiry will apply it will simply be the conclusions that will need tweeking to make sure you answer the Q. Thanks!!
Reply 54
im so glad the papaer is on response... im so bad at the physical side of this..

What major case studies are people using?
I've got
Asian tsunami VS Japan tsunami
Haiti 2008 VS Christchurch 2011
Montsrrat VS Iceland (the volcano that i can never spell :s-smilie:)

Also Mt St Helen, San Fran, Bam
Recent examples - Northern Italy earthquake + aftershock.. and cant think of any else :s-smilie:
This was the question given to my class my our teachers;

'Explore the factors, which influence the effectiveness of responses used, by different groups of people to cope with tectonic hazards.'

The way in which we have been taught to write essays and reports is to use themes, and mainly to use SEEP (social, economic, environmental, political/physical) or SPEED (social response, political, economic, environmental, demographic) and then use positives and negatives that each contribute to events. Also adding in a 'spatial contrast' and a 'change over time'.

People wise this is the list we came up in class with :
Individual
Government -Help by being prepared, able to learn from past mistakes e.g. Kobe - Sendai
NGO -Very important for LEDC's
Businesses
TNC - large amounts of money - able to repair
Communities - some work together (Japan)
Gender - gender inequality

And finally the case studies that are my 'main' ones:
EQ Haiti vs. Aquila
Volcano Montserrat vs. Iceland
Tsunami Sendi vs. Asian tsunami

Hope this may help some people
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Does anyone have some useful links of the responses and if monotoring was used in Mt St Helens,Mt Pinatubo, Indian Ocean tsunami, Sendai tsunami, Kobe earthquake and Haiti earthquake?
Reply 57
Original post by winningjojo
Responses are my weaker point but the June 2010 paper was very similar the only difference being that our steer refers to the EFFECTIVENESS too.

Hi guys,
I totally agree that we should really be focusing on how factors influence the effectiveness of responses......if we focus simply on how factors influence responses, that's a totally different thing!

In light of that, I've been thinking that I might structure my report by case study, as I think this might put across how a combination of factors often determines whether or not a response is effective.
Basically, my teachers have told me to arrange it by the factors, so use subtitles like 'magnitude', 'level of development', 'level of scientific understanding' etc. My problem with this is that, if I just discuss ONE factor that relates to a case study response, I'm surely not explaining why the response as a whole was or was not effective? So, if I just say that magnitude influenced the effectiveness of the Haiti response, that's not really true, is it? There was also the fact that Haiti is an LDC, so couldn't spend much on preparedness or development of scientific understanding.

So I'm planning to maybe have subtitles like 'The effectiveness of the Haiti Earthquake Response', and then discuss all of the different physical/human factors that influenced how effective the response was. I would then do the same for a lot of other, contrasting case studies, to draw out the range of responses.

Sorry if this is long winded....does anyone agree? What do you think of this approach?
[QUOTE="Kuggins;37983666"]
Original post by winningjojo
Responses are my weaker point but the June 2010 paper was very similar the only difference being that our steer refers to the EFFECTIVENESS too.

Hi guys,
I totally agree that we should really be focusing on how factors influence the effectiveness of responses......if we focus simply on how factors influence responses, that's a totally different thing!

In light of that, I've been thinking that I might structure my report by case study, as I think this might put across how a combination of factors often determines whether or not a response is effective.
Basically, my teachers have told me to arrange it by the factors, so use subtitles like 'magnitude', 'level of development', 'level of scientific understanding' etc. My problem with this is that, if I just discuss ONE factor that relates to a case study response, I'm surely not explaining why the response as a whole was or was not effective? So, if I just say that magnitude influenced the effectiveness of the Haiti response, that's not really true, is it? There was also the fact that Haiti is an LDC, so couldn't spend much on preparedness or development of scientific understanding.

So I'm planning to maybe have subtitles like 'The effectiveness of the Haiti Earthquake Response', and then discuss all of the different physical/human factors that influenced how effective the response was. I would then do the same for a lot of other, contrasting case studies, to draw out the range of responses.

Sorry if this is long winded....does anyone agree? What do you think of this approach?

I see where you're going with this, but I still think I'm going to stick to the factory by factor approach, namely because I'm going to mention a lot of my case studies various time throughout the "report" (i.e under various subheadings). However, I think your method is perfectly valid too.

In regards to the effectiveness, I completely agree that the "effectiveness" is perhaps the most important word. I think the conclusion in particular should stress the fact that there is no single factor which affects the effectiveness - it is the result of an amalgamation of different factors.
The answer to all your troubles lies within the Cumulative Act-Effect model (Reason, 1990).

(Shows how it is a combination of hazard layers and vulnerability layers that must combine to produce a disaster).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending