Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Another Multiple Choice Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which one of the following is the best definition of government failure?

A) Government Intervention which leads to a loss of economic welfare.
    B) Government failing to allocate resources efficiently.
    C) Government failing to intervene with the market.
    D) Government intervention which fails to have a positive effect on the economy.

I thought the answer was B, but my teacher said it was A. Can someone explain please?

My exam board is edexcel also, so I need an explanation worth 3 marks, not just the correct answer.

Thanks,
    Sora

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sora)
    Which one of the following is the best definition of government failure?

A) Government Intervention which leads to a loss of economic welfare.
    B) Government failing to allocate resources efficiently.
    C) Government failing to intervene with the market.
    D) Government intervention which fails to have a positive effect on the economy.

I thought the answer was B, but my teacher said it was A. Can someone explain please?

My exam board is edexcel also, so I need an explanation worth 3 marks, not just the correct answer.

Thanks,
    Sora
    A) The government has made things worse. Its actions have caused a loss of welfare.

B) The situation could have been improved by government, but still be suboptimal. The government may have improved welfare compared to a free market, but welfare is still not maximized.

ReputationRep:
    Much appreciated.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.