The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StitchMad
Sure, for which theory? It will all be stuff you've covered - you just need to draw it from the different corners of the course! :smile:

erm.....how about interactionist theoriest?#
(btw how come in the last paper..they asked functionalism+new right...they dont even teach new right?!!)
Reply 81
Original post by y.yousef
erm.....how about interactionist theoriest?#
(btw how come in the last paper..they asked functionalism+new right...they dont even teach new right?!!)

We've been taught New Right as kinda like a half-theory. It's highly unlikely they'll ask you a whole question on it; that's why they combined it with Functionalism. New Right is pretty easy to understand though: once you know about Libertarianism and Social Authoritarianism then there isn't really much else to say. I haven't revised all that yet though!

We've been advised to link Interactionism to Education and Crime & Deviance. Once you've looked at the main points of Interactionism, you can say how Labelling Theory applies to Education first. For example, if children are given a positive or negative label in the classroom then they carry out a self-fulfilling prophecy and play out the role. You can say how the study by Rosenthal and Jacobson was supportive of this (if you want me to explain this just let me know).

It can then be applied to Crime & Deviance too by looking at the work of Becker, although we haven't studied this yet so I can't really expand much further, sorry! :tongue:
We've been taught New Right as kinda like a half-theory. It's highly unlikely they'll ask you a whole question on it; that's why they combined it with Functionalism. New Right is pretty easy to understand though: once you know about Libertarianism and Social Authoritarianism then there isn't really much else to say. I haven't revised all that yet though!

We've been advised to link Interactionism to Education and Crime & Deviance. Once you've looked at the main points of Interactionism, you can say how Labelling Theory applies to Education first. For example, if children are given a positive or negative label in the classroom then they carry out a self-fulfilling prophecy and play out the role. You can say how the study by Rosenthal and Jacobson was supportive of this (if you want me to explain this just let me know).

It can then be applied to Crime & Deviance too by looking at the work of Becker, although we haven't studied this yet so I can't really expand much further, sorry! :tongue:

is it in that aqa book...wtfs liberiatingfjnng and social aurhgkfjngjfn :lolwut:

Don't worry, i understand it. I think cos you told me tomention society..i'll just 'breifly' mention it somehwere...but not make it into big paragraphs like you..cos i know i dont have the capability of fiting all that...

btw whats 'the frankhart school'?

i see your from west yorkshire...braap. which areaa?
Reply 83
is it in that aqa book...wtfs liberiatingfjnng and social aurhgkfjngjfn :lolwut:

Don't worry, i understand it. I think cos you told me tomention society..i'll just 'breifly' mention it somehwere...but not make it into big paragraphs like you..cos i know i dont have the capability of fiting all that...

btw whats 'the frankhart school'?

i see your from west yorkshire...braap. which areaa?

Er.. I'm not sure I don't use the AQA book. I should think so though, considering it was asked for in the exam. It would be cruel not to include it! :tongue:

The Frankfurt School was a study done in Germany (obviously) and they suggested that the media creates "false needs". It's actually something that I quite agree with. They say that in modern society, everyone wears the same clothes, conforms to the same fashion, listens to the same music, has similar beliefs and buys the same things. They blame this on the media. They say that the media is responsible for making everyone the same and as a result, this stamps out creativity. I somewhat agree with this because today's modern music is a load of rubbish but everyone seems to enjoy it. Take a look around next time The X Factor is on - everyone will be talking about it: the Frankfurt School suggest it's the media who creates this effect.

So in a nut-shell, the media creates false needs which makes everyone the same; resulting in a lack of creativity and a possibily dangerous society as the power of the media can be abused through propaganda and exploitation. Therefore, the working class can be manipulated by the ruling class through the media.

Near Wakefield, how about you? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Er.. I'm not sure I don't use the AQA book. I should think so though, considering it was asked for in the exam. It would be cruel not to include it! :tongue:

The Frankfurt School was a study done in Germany (obviously) and they suggested that the media creates "false needs". It's actually something that I quite agree with. They say that in modern society, everyone wears the same clothes, conforms to the same fashion, listens to the same music, has similar beliefs and buys the same things. They blame this on the media. They say that the media is responsible for making everyone the same and as a result, this stamps out creativity. I somewhat agree with this because today's modern music is a load of rubbish but everyone seems to enjoy it. Take a look around next time The X Factor is on - everyone will be talking about it: the Frankfurt School suggest it's the media who creates this effect.

So in a nut-shell, the media creates false needs which makes everyone the same; resulting in a lack of creativity and a possibily dangerous society as the power of the media can be abused through propaganda and exploitation. Therefore, the working class can be manipulated by the ruling class through the media.

Near Wakefield, how about you? :smile:

It doesn't include it.

But, then you see I don'tquite ssee the relavancy to this at all. How does this then link into crime?

Spoiler

Reply 85
But, then you see I don'tquite ssee the relavancy to this at all. How does this then link into crime?

It doesn't. SCLY4 consists of:

2 x 21 mark Crime & Deviance Question
1 x 15 mark Theory and Methods in the Context of Crime & Deviance Question
1 x 33 mark Theory and Methods Question
It doesn't. SCLY4 consists of:

2 x 21 mark Crime & Deviance Question
1 x 15 mark Theory and Methods in the Context of Crime & Deviance Question
1 x 33 mark Theory and Methods Question

Oh so you were refferring to the theories and methods question..
oohh....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It makes sense now!!!
i were finking ...wat the hell u talking about family and house holds for lool...

yeah i get it noww.. i just hav a veryyy slow brain..cos teacher doesnt teach us it...and its all new to me...
(you hav taught me soo much within such a short space of time, compared to ma teacher,s thanks :smile: )

so you saying 8 paragraphs for 33makr sociological theorys so thats like 3pages...

oh fanx dat makes sense now init.

Bruv wat did u get for Unit 3?
Reply 87
Yo everyone :smile: I got an A* in my sociology A-level last August. Not saying it to boast or anything, but I'm more than happy to offer advice on the unit 4 crime and deviance paper, so if you need help quote me on here and I'll get back to you asap (I'll happily answer questions on what you need to know and key cases in a brief summary).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Oh so you were refferring to the theories and methods question..
oohh....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It makes sense now!!!
i were finking ...wat the hell u talking about family and house holds for lool...

yeah i get it noww.. i just hav a veryyy slow brain..cos teacher doesnt teach us it...and its all new to me...
(you hav taught me soo much within such a short space of time, compared to ma teacher,s thanks :smile: )

so you saying 8 paragraphs for 33makr sociological theorys so thats like 3pages...

oh fanx dat makes sense now init.

Bruv wat did u get for Unit 3?

lolol, yes I was talking about the 33 marker! :smile:
Yeah, probably somewhere around there but remember to evaluate throughout the whole essay too. Remember margins are slim and you write faster in the exam, so work to the time recommendations rather than quantity!

I got 79/80 UMS in Unit 3 and 118/120 in Unit 2. Unit 1 was slightly lower, I can't remember the UMS for that! :tongue:
Original post by Hello:D
Yo everyone :smile: I got an A* in my sociology A-level last August. Not saying it to boast or anything, but I'm more than happy to offer advice on the unit 4 crime and deviance paper, so if you need help quote me on here and I'll get back to you asap (I'll happily answer questions on what you need to know and key cases in a brief summary).

Alright mate, calm down noo need to boast init. :wink:

Aight tell me how you set out the 21 mark question init.
Yeah, probably somewhere around there but remember to evaluate throughout the whole essay too. Remember margins are slim and you write faster in the exam, so work to the time recommendations rather than quantity!

I got 79/80 UMS in Unit 3 and 118/120 in Unit 2. Unit 1 was slightly lower, I can't remember the UMS for that! :tongue:

I guess that is the case with most students. However I've noticed that I don't tend to get any nerves about the exam. So when I'm there, my andrenaline is low, and doesn’t really give me that pressure to write a lot, like how people have described.

This is what goes through my head when I’m in the exam, I look at the question, and so many information is flying around my brain, and i’m trying not to forget them all, so i try jotting them down in note form....which then leads me on to forgetting what I was going t write for the other parts....arrrh.

It’s cos i don’t remember itlike the back of my hand..i usually just revise 2 weeks b4. ...(it just works for me :dontknow: )

I’ve got 5 exams as well!

Oooooo wow, 1 ums mark off da exam...thats sick grade dat is..:congrats:

in the feminist one...are you sure u need to talk about ALL these feminists

3.Liberal Feminism
4. Radical Feminism
5. Marxist Feminism
6. Black Feminism
7.postmodern feminist.

surely the first 3 would just do, csw your showing that you know some difference type sof feminism..not ALL of the,m...cos like in AQA,, ours dont talk about black feminism...,.so it shows you dont hAVe write about it init.
and how come from the interactionist you only did talk about C+D and education? rather than all of em..like religion and family and houseghols..like u did with the others.
Reply 93
in the feminist one...are you sure u need to talk about ALL these feminists

3.Liberal Feminism
4. Radical Feminism
5. Marxist Feminism
6. Black Feminism
7.postmodern feminist.

surely the first 3 would just do, csw your showing that you know some difference type sof feminism..not ALL of the,m...cos like in AQA,, ours dont talk about black feminism...,.so it shows you dont hAVe write about it init.

Well it all depends on how much you think you can write. It's good to try and get as much as possible, simply because you've got more chance of getting marks. For example, if you explained Black Feminism then you'd then be able to score AO2 marks by saying that it's probably quite outdated now due to equality laws to protect those from an ethnic minority. You could then go on to score more marks - by giving an AO2 of the AO2 - by discussing the extent to which social policy actually affects individual interaction (thereby you could have another whole paragraph on Interactionism if you weren't under timed conditions)!

Postmodern Feminism may be good to raise too because it gives an alternative, evaluate view to the other four. The first four explain how females are apparently subordinate, whereas the latter takes a step back and suggests that in our modern society, women may actually have an upper hand by using their gender to their advantage (a woman may act flirtatiously in a bar in order to get a free drink, for example).

It all depends on what you're comfortable writing about! :smile:

and how come from the interactionist you only did talk about C+D and education? rather than all of em..like religion and family and houseghols..like u did with the others.

We haven't really done anything about Interactionism for Family or C+D so that's why I only mentioned those two! :smile:
Well it all depends on how much you think you can write. It's good to try and get as much as possible, simply because you've got more chance of getting marks. For example, if you explained Black Feminism then you'd then be able to score AO2 marks by saying that it's probably quite outdated now due to equality laws to protect those from an ethnic minority. You could then go on to score more marks - by giving an AO2 of the AO2 - by discussing the extent to which social policy actually affects individual interaction (thereby you could have another whole paragraph on Interactionism if you weren't under timed conditions)!

Postmodern Feminism may be good to raise too because it gives an alternative, evaluate view to the other four. The first four explain how females are apparently subordinate, whereas the latter takes a step back and suggests that in our modern society, women may actually have an upper hand by using their gender to their advantage (a woman may act flirtatiously in a bar in order to get a free drink, for example).

It all depends on what you're comfortable writing about! :smile:

We haven't really done anything about Interactionism for Family or C+D so that's why I only mentioned those two! :smile:

ooh okay thanks,so they don;t look at the overall question, to see how you structureed it..they just makr whats ther?

okay i'm going to be attemtping this question for unit 3

1. assess the veiw that science has replaced religion as the mian ideologicalinfluence in society today.

and pease may you tell me hw to set out a 18 mark qustion....thats all :smile:
ooh okay thanks,so they don;t look at the overall question, to see how you structureed it..they just makr whats ther?

1. assess the veiw that science has replaced religion as the mian ideologicalinfluence in society today.

I'm doing it as well and I find it a but difficult too but I've ovecome it :/

Maybe my PM can help you??

Spoiler

Reply 96

Well you'll probably get some additional marks based on how you structure your essay too - it all adds up!

I posted a couple of structures for religion in another thread, here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1880437&page=8&p=36002313#post36002313
..and a complete essay on Secularisation here: http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/secularisation/
Well you'll probably get some additional marks based on how you structure your essay too - it all adds up!

I posted a couple of structures for religion in another thread, here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1880437&page=8&p=36002313#post36002313
..and a complete essay on Secularisation here: http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/secularisation/

Ahh thanks...btew in the secularisation one...is the top paragraph needed?
Reply 98
Ahh thanks...btew in the secularisation one...is the top paragraph needed?

Probably not, it was just a lead in for my blog post because I published it on Easter Monday, haha! :smile:
Probably not, it was just a lead in for my blog post because I published it on Easter Monday, haha! :smile:

HAVE YOU DONE all of psychology or sumfin?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending