This discussion is closed.
r316
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Who's taking it or intends to?
Is is tough?

And what if you don't want to do Maths/Engineering at University?
My teachers and cousin tell me that Medical schools aren't too keen on Mathematicians. And I know that some med. schools don't consider it a separate subject from Maths.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by r316)
Is is tough?

My teachers and cousin tell me that Medical schools aren't too keen on Mathematicians. And I know that some med. schools don't consider it a separate subject from Maths.
I'm not doing it...but it is very hard!! Many of my friends do further maths....and to do well in it...you have to be very good at maths....absurdly so.

If you don't have a maths brain...then i'd advise against doing it.

G
r316
What do people consider 'an aptitude for maths'? A's?
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by r316)
What do people consider 'an aptitude for maths'? A's?
In my school...unless you've got an A at GCSE..they don't let yo do further maths cos it's apparently far too hard unless you have 'an aptitude for maths'

G
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
you have to be very good at maths....absurdly so.

G
I wouldn't go that far, you can get an A in Further Maths A-Level with hard work and being "good" at it.

You wouldn't have to be absurdly good, thats an exaggeration.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In my school...unless you've got an A at GCSE..they don't let yo do further maths cos it's apparently far too hard unless you have 'an aptitude for maths'

G
I'd agree with that, yes.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I wouldn't go that far, you can get an A in Further Maths A-Level with hard work and being "good" at it.

You wouldn't have to be absurdly good, thats an exaggeration.
I didn't mean absurdly so in terms of doing further maths...but to get an A in further maths is incredibly hard. Sorry if i was a bit ambiguous...

G
r316
Is anyone enjoying Further Maths?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I didn't mean absurdly so in terms of doing further maths...but to get an A in further maths is incredibly hard. Sorry if i was a bit ambiguous...

G
I see what you mean, np

Although it does depend on one's ability and how hard they work, if some1 was good and worked hard, not "amazing" at maths, but was just naturally good at it anyway, then I would expect them to get the A in Further Maths - Thats my view.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by r316)
I'm doing full A-Level Further Maths starting from June, although I enjoy Maths so i will enjoy more maths on top
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I'm doing full A-Level Further Maths starting from June, although I enjoy Maths so i will enjoy more maths on top
Have you done AS and A2 maths this year then? How r u findin P3?
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm doing Further Maths AS-Level this year, and intend to continue it next year (well, in fact I have to - I haven't got the right modules to make an AS-Level in FM).

Just to echo/ reinforce a few comments...

I wouldn't even consider doing Further Maths unless you're online for an A*/A at GCSE, you may even struggle then. You definitely need to be confident of your ability, and have an aptitude for maths in general.

You certainly have to ensure you've a passion for maths, because doing two full A-Levels in it, or an A-Level and an AS-Level will take up a significant chunk of your time.

If you’re taking similar subjects, it’s certainly an advantage. For example, I was able to use statistical techniques I’d learned in S2 in Physics coursework.

Also, it will help you immensely in terms of your single maths A-Level. Having done S2 prior to S1, I can practically go to sleep in these lessons… which is never a bad thing.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by r316)
Is is tough?

No too difficult. However you have a much wider syllabus and as such you will have to take in a lot more. To do reasonably well in the exam you must study, its not memory work, you have to be able to do it.
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by r316)
yep. just doing AS Further Maths tho; but its alright - we're on P4 now (thats all im going up to) but its fine so far. P3 was a fair bit harder than the rest but you get used to it with a little work..
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
anyone doing maths could do further maths.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
anyone doing maths could do further maths.
Some of those in my group can barely do maths. I think a student working at a C grade or below at A-Level maths would fail FM.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
Some of those in my group can barely do maths. I think a student working at a C grade or below at A-Level maths would fail FM.
ok, anyone who can do maths can do further maths.
[email protected]
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by r316)
I'm definitely enjoying my Maths. I've done the Maths A-level last year and am doing the Further Maths and the Applied Maths this year. That's P1-6 M1-6 S1-4 D1-2. I'm going to do maths at University so it's only natural for me to do it. I'd say if you're not repelled by the word MATHS, then you'd be alright with doing it because it's not common for anyone to take it unless they like it. It's one of those subjects where some people are good at it and others don't do it.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
ok, anyone who can do maths can do further maths.
Fair enough.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It doesn't depends as much on your current maths ability as it does on your ability to pay attention in class and do the work at home. I'd say of the people going to college, 70% can successfully do further maths if they are determined enough. The rest, no matter how much they are taught will not learn it.

Just listen in class, ask question when you don't understand, and do practice questions every week on areas you've recently covered and areas you may have forgotten. Then you'll be fine.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (9)
69.23%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
15.38%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
7.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
7.69%

Watched Threads