This discussion is closed.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
It doesn't depends as much on your current maths ability as it does on your ability to pay attention in class and do the work at home. I'd say of the people going to college, 70% can successfully do further maths if they are determined enough. The rest, no matter how much they are taught will not learn it.

Just listen in class, ask question when you don't understand, and do practice questions every week on areas you've recently covered and areas you may have forgotten. Then you'll be fine.
theres nothing special about further maths, its just learning different things.
CHARLOTTELARKIN
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by r316)
Who's taking it or intends to?
Is is tough?

And what if you don't want to do Maths/Engineering at University?
My teachers and cousin tell me that Medical schools aren't too keen on Mathematicians. And I know that some med. schools don't consider it a separate subject from Maths.
hi ive been doing further maths for two years now so will be finishing this summer. it is hard and i dont recommend it if u dont like maths. however if maths is your strongest subject or if u enjoy it then you'll like this. I also do chemistry and biology a level but further maths takes up about 70% of my time so unless u really want to do it the i would stick to normal maths. Im also going into medicine and it is considered a seperate subject by everyone (not just medicine) and is very useful. You'll find that much of the work in the second year is the foundation or found in the first year of a maths degree (my sister is doing a maths degree so help eachother out) so is very useful subject to do. But its hard!
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CHARLOTTELARKIN)
You'll find that much of the work in the second year is the foundation or found in the first year of a maths degree (my sister is doing a maths degree so help eachother out) so is very useful subject to do. But its hard!
But that just means that it would just be higher level P , Mand S modules.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you are doing a maths degree, is there any point doing further maths then?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
If you are doing a maths degree, is there any point doing further maths then?
Well universities will probably turn you down if you actively chose not to do further maths. The top ones expect it 100% unless your school didn't offer it.
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Well universities will probably turn you down if you actively chose not to do further maths. The top ones expect it 100% unless your school didn't offer it.
not really.

ive only taken AS further and got all 6 places.

plus none of my offers requires a grade in further maths and they all said that it wasnt important if you had it or not.
[email protected]
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
not really.

plus none of my offers requires a grade in further maths and they all said that it wasnt important if you had it or not.
Which ones were they?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
not really.

Did your school offer A2 further? Because time after time, you hear from the likes of Oxbridge, etc that if you don't have further, you need a damn good reason.

Also, most unis give out lower offers to candidates with A2 further.
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Yannis)
Which ones were they?
tvu, london met, bolton...

nah im joking

bath, birmingham, bristol, leicester, leeds, york

no oxbridge. dont think im good enough tbh!
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 16 years ago

nah im joking

bath, birmingham, bristol, leicester, leeds, york

no oxbridge. dont think im good enough tbh!

Likewise, I'm only doing AS Further, and of my 6 Unis, Cambridge rejected me (mainly cos of a bloody awful interview), and the other 5 (Bristol, Durham, UMIST, Nottingham and Southampton) didnt require it at all. In fact of all the 8 people in our Further Maths group (all doing AS), nobody has to have it, and 7 of us are doing Science/Engineering. One lad got an offer for NatSci at Cambridge, and they didnt specify a grade, although he is doing 4 A2s.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (84)
51.53%
No they should not (60)
36.81%
Abstain (19)
11.66%

Watched Threads