The Student Room Group

Simple way to translate degrees into radians?

I'm doing edexcel c2 and have a table showing angles in degrees and radians, but the table is big and I won't have it in the exam. East way to convert degrees into radians anyone, and vice versa?
Reply 1
Degrees to radians: multiply by π180\dfrac{\pi}{180}
Why do you need to convert between them?

Just know that π=180o\pi = 180^o
Reply 3
Into Radians: Number of degrees x π180o \frac{\pi}{180^o}.

Into Degrees: Number of radians x 180oπ \frac{180^o}{\pi}.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EierVonSatan
Why do you need to convert between them?

Just know that π=180o\pi = 180^o

On the exam they can ask you to convert an angle you have found into radians.
Reply 5
The brain-dead calculator method is:

degrees=radians×180π\text{degrees} = \text{radians} \times \dfrac{180}{\pi}

radians=degrees×π180\text{radians} = \text{degrees} \times \dfrac{\pi}{180}

The way to remember this is that 180=π rad180^{\circ} = \pi\ \text{rad} (which you should know anyway) so you need to multiply by 180π\dfrac{180}{\pi} or π180\dfrac{\pi}{180}. To decide which one, it's fairly obvious that 180 is a lot bigger than π\pi, and any given angle is represented by 'more degrees than radians', so to go from radians to degrees you multiply by the top-heavy fraction, and to go from degrees to radians you multiply by the bottom-heavy fraction.

For most angles this brain-dead "hammer the calculator" method isn't very useful and you certainly won't learn much from it. But you should remember that 2π2\pi represents a full circle, so you can work out the conversions by taking appropriate fractions of this. For instance 90° is a quarter of a circle, and so it is 2π4=π2\dfrac{2\pi}{4} = \dfrac{\pi}{2} radians. And 30° is a twelfth of a circle, so it is 2π12=π6\dfrac{2\pi}{12} = \dfrac{\pi}{6} radians. And so on.
Reply 6
Original post by nuodai
The brain-dead calculator method is:

degrees=radians×180π\text{degrees} = \text{radians} \times \dfrac{180}{\pi}
radians=degrees×π180\text{radians} = \text{degrees} \times \dfrac{\pi}{180}
The way to remember this is that 180=π rad180^{\circ} = \pi\ \text{rad} (which you should know anyway) so you need to multiply by 180π\dfrac{180}{\pi} or π180\dfrac{\pi}{180}. To decide which one, it's fairly obvious that 180 is a lot bigger than π\pi, and any given angle is represented by 'more degrees than radians', so to go from radians to degrees you multiply by the top-heavy fraction, and to go from degrees to radians you multiply by the bottom-heavy fraction.

For most angles this brain-dead "hammer the calculator" method isn't very useful and you certainly won't learn much from it. But you should remember that 2π2\pi represents a full circle, so you can work out the conversions by taking appropriate fractions of this. For instance 90° is a quarter of a circle, and so it is 2π4=π2\dfrac{2\pi}{4} = \dfrac{\pi}{2} radians. And 30° is a twelfth of a circle, so it is 2π12=π6\dfrac{2\pi}{12} = \dfrac{\pi}{6} radians. And so on.

Oh thanks that makes so much sense now! I think my teacher tried explaining it like that but kind of failed.

Quick Reply

Latest