The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do british soldiers pay tax?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Marlo Stanfield
It's easily arguable that teachers, let alone nurses, are as valuable to the country as soldiers. Should they also not pay tax? No, of course not.

TEACHER? You mad? I could be a teacher no joke piss take of a job they get like 50 weeks off a year and strike for the other two.
Reply 21
Original post by hassi94
That's my opinion, people can pretend they're heroes or whatever but I disagree (for the majority, anyway). You can make any sort of argument you want but it won't work; there's no way you can convince me that people have certain motivations or attributes.

What a bigoted view you hold, I'm curious, is it just this issue you're so narrow minded that you won't even consider changing your opinion, or is this how you view everything?
Reply 22
Original post by hassi94
This discussion is completely pointless because you're both just twisting my words - my point was that they're not working as some massive favour to us, they're just making money (and for the vast majority, that is the only way they can make that much money).

Oh aye?

Are you aware that the majority of Officer-class soldiers (The highest paid) are University graduates? They have degrees and sometimes even MAs before they go through into Sandhurst.
What about the Royal Engineers? Do you honestly think they aren't equipped with the skills to work in the Private sector? Don't make me ****ing laugh, most industrial firms would pay through the nose to get hold of a royal engineer, why? Because soldiers have a tendency to take orders and be generally far more disciplined as individuals when it comes to work.

Stop being such a spacktard and open your eyes.

My ****ing CCF CO was a major in the army, he worked his way up from basic infantry, he didn't even go through Sandhurst. Most of the populace could not do that. Why? Because being in the army requires skills that most 'civvy' spacks like yourself don't have. Leadership, comradeship, intelligence, spatial awareness, fitness. You think being a soldier is such a 'herrr derrr' job, but I can assure you that it requires a damn lot more effort than spending three years of your life reading history books and writing essays. And I say that as somebody going to Oxford next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by hassi94
I never said everyone, but the vast majority (from my experience) try to do something else first, fail - and so join the army. It is just a job, most of the people whom have that job are certainly not 'heroes'.

Utterly irrelevant. Looking at your location and considering your world view.. I seriously doubt you know any soldiers.
Original post by SimBa14
What a bigoted view you hold, I'm curious, is it just this issue you're so narrow minded that you won't even consider changing your opinion, or is this how you view everything?

It's not that I wouldn't change my mind no matter what. But I've had this discussion plenty of times and I still disagree - I doubt anyone could tell me anything new. I'm not a bigot, I never said that people who say otherwise are idiots etc. I just said I disagree. Look up the meaning of bigot again.

Original post by Ocassus
Oh aye?

Are you aware that the majority of Officer-class soldiers (The highest paid) are University graduates? They have degrees and sometimes even MAs before they go through into Sandhurst.
What about the Royal Engineers? Do you honestly think they aren't equipped with the skills to work in the Private sector? Don't make me ****ing laugh, most industrial firms would pay through the nose to get hold of a royal engineer, why? Because soldiers have a tendency to take orders and be generally far more disciplined as individuals when it comes to work.

Stop being such a spacktard and open your eyes.

Even doctors earn twice as much in the forces! Plus again you're ignoring the word majority. YOu can say 'the majority of officer-class soldiers are university graduates' but 1: officer-class soldiers aren't a majority, are they? And 2: being a university graduate means very little, there are plenty of university graduates who aren't wanted for anything more than MacDonalds; if that. And these 'engineers' aren't engineers, skilled labourers do not get paid as much in the private sector. Especially in training (i.e. apprenticeships etc.).

Right I'm not replying to the next post because I've said all this to people before and I can't be bothered having the same tired discussion.
Original post by Bonged.
Utterly irrelevant. Looking at your location and considering your world view.. I seriously doubt you know any soldiers.

My world view? And how would you know what that is. And you don't really know my location, within 3 miles there's a Defence School of Transport that teaches 15000+ soldiers every year.
Reply 26
Original post by hassi94
It's not that I wouldn't change my mind no matter what. But I've had this discussion plenty of times and I still disagree - I doubt anyone could tell me anything new. I'm not a bigot, I never said that people who say otherwise are idiots etc. I just said I disagree. Look up the meaning of bigot again.

Even doctors earn twice as much in the forces! Plus again you're ignoring the word majority. YOu can say 'the majority of officer-class soldiers are university graduates' but 1: officer-class soldiers aren't a majority, are they? And 2: being a university graduate means very little, there are plenty of university graduates who aren't wanted for anything more than MacDonalds; if that. And these 'engineers' aren't engineers, skilled labourers do not get paid as much in the private sector. Especially in training (i.e. apprenticeships etc.).

Right I'm not replying to the next post because I've said all this to people before and I can't be bothered having the same tired discussion.

Er, a Royal Engineer IS an Engineer. They repair ****ing tanks, I'm not entirely sure how much more of an 'engineer' you can be... :iiam:
Plus, as somebody was did want to become a Royal Engineer, I know for a fact they are trained in either Civil, electronic or mechanical engineering. (Aeronautics and Aerospace was also there for the air corps).

Ugh I don't think you follow. To get into Sandhurst, you must be intelligent, if you are not intelligent, you don't get in. Simple as.

As for your second point, well, that says it all. Feeling :smug: about certain University degrees says it all really. If thats the case, excuse me whilst I take my 'most valued degree in the country' and sneer at you, inferior Mathematician. :smug:

(No disrespect to other mathematicians, this kid has to be put in his place however.)
Reply 27
Original post by hassi94

I'm prettty sure you need to double check the meaning of bigot...
"Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices" welcome to the internet not only a place for trolls but also a place of learning :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SimBa14
I'm prettty sure you need to double check the meaning of bigot...
"Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices" welcome to the internet not only a place for trolls but also a place of learning :P

Ooh wikipedia definition - well done. Try something credible like Oxford Dictionaries.
Reply 29
Original post by hassi94
you're twisting my words as if I said all soldiers were ex-failures of something.....

they're just making money (and for the vast majority, that is the only way they can make that much money).

Original post by hassi94
I never said everyone, but the vast majority (from my experience) try to do something else first, fail - and so join the army. It is just a job, most of the people whom have that job are certainly not 'heroes'.

Twisting your words, or merely reacting to your apallingly bad choice of words? You're the one saying such things. Twice.

Simple fact is, whatever 'your experience' is of the Army, it's an extremely small sample of the entire thing and not representative of the MoD or it's employees. Your opinion is your own, and noone's trying to suggest you shouldn't have one, but what we are saying is your opinion is based on incorrect and a misunderstanding of the facts available. By persisting in your angle without conceding any of the more than reasonable points presented you're only making yourself look more and more childish.
Original post by Ocassus
Er, a Royal Engineer IS an Engineer. They repair ****ing tanks, I'm not entirely sure how much more of an 'engineer' you can be... :iiam:
Plus, as somebody was did want to become a Royal Engineer, I know for a fact they are trained in either Civil, electronic or mechanical engineering. (Aeronautics and Aerospace was also there for the air corps).

Ugh I don't think you follow. To get into Sandhurst, you must be intelligent, if you are not intelligent, you don't get in. Simple as.

As for your second point, well, that says it all. Feeling :smug: about certain University degrees says it all really. If thats the case, excuse me whilst I take my 'most valued degree in the country' and sneer at you, inferior Mathematician. :smug:

(No disrespect to other mathematicians, this kid has to be put in his place however.)

I really need to stop replying but there's so much rubbish here.

Repairing stuff isn't engineering. No matter what you might say.

I don't even know what Sandhurst is, and I'll admit that so sorry I can't discuss that.

And if you read my post properly I wasn't being smug about university degrees. Even people with degrees in traditionally 'good' subjects aren't getting jobs, so that they've gone into the forces with a degree doesn't mean they can earn more outside the forces. And I have no sort of pride from doing mathematics so you can insult it all you want for all I care. I do it because I'm interested in it, not for any other reasons.

Since most of your arguments are plain wrong I'm just gonna stop.
Reply 31
Original post by hassi94
Ooh wikipedia definition - well done. Try something credible like Oxford Dictionaries.

I've got an idea why don't you try the Oxford Dictionary and when it gives you the almost exact word for word definition I just gave you, you can go swivel on it. I was just trying to educate you, some people just can't be helped...
It is to much of an effort to start exclude proffesions from tax. There is no point either, if you think they should get more disposible income then just pay them more.
Reply 33
Original post by hassi94
I really need to stop replying but there's so much rubbish here.

Repairing stuff isn't engineering. No matter what you might say.

I don't even know what Sandhurst is, and I'll admit that so sorry I can't discuss that.

And if you read my post properly I wasn't being smug about university degrees. Even people with degrees in traditionally 'good' subjects aren't getting jobs, so that they've gone into the forces with a degree doesn't mean they can earn more outside the forces. And I have no sort of pride from doing mathematics so you can insult it all you want for all I care. I do it because I'm interested in it, not for any other reasons.

Since most of your arguments are plain wrong I'm just gonna stop.

If you don't even know what Sandhurst is what makes you think you have enough information on the topic to be able to make a sound and reasoned argument about anything military related? You're just showing yourself to be ignorant and puerile (want the definition for that too?).
Original post by CraigFrew
I believe the shouldn't have to. They are out fighting and risking their lives for our country, they shouldn't have to pay for tax especially because they spend most of their time working overseas, and the country benefits more from the army than soldiers benefit from being in the army. Does anyone think they should have to pay taxes?

Of course they should have to pay taxes - they're government employees.

Aside from merchant navy sailors and other long-term overseas private workers who are resident in the UK and who are not employees of HMG, everyone should pay tax.
Original post by hassi94

So, you are an expert in understanding the motivations of those joining the forces, but don't even know what RMAS is?

Jesus. Christ.
Reply 36
I know two people that joined the army, both had around 0 GCSE's. But to the OP's question, i dont think charities should pay tax, for example this pudsey **** every year, most of it goes to the government than to the people that need it, ahh well

Edit: Not the op's question lol, got lost in all the arguments but my point stands
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by hassi94

To be fair, wikipedia's often better than people give it credit.

Although the attachment is relatively specific to science-based articles (which are often quite esoteric), generalising to other domains isn't ridiculous.
Reply 38
Original post by Ocassus

As much as I agree with most of your posts, got to be honest, someone who repairs tanks is not an engineer. They're more of a mechanic as their work involves maintaining things. :smile:
Original post by Ocassus

haha calm down. Whilst I agree with you, I can see what hassi is trying to say. A lot of people who join the army at 16 or 18 straight out of school probably do do it because they don't really have any other prospects. But on the flip side there are a lot of highly trained, very intelligent people. Seems to be just a case of hassi exaggerating then refusing to admit he was wildly exaggerating. :tongue:

The dig at his degree was just stupid though, Cambridge Maths is at least on par with PPE.

Latest