The Student Room Group

Tips for GCSE French Higher Listening?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm doing spanish and french and I always get confused between them :/ once I said nearly all my french controlled assessment in spanish, woops :P but my advice is to look at the pictures as sometimes they can offer hints and learn key vocab and remember to listen out for negatives because especially on higher that's very popular. I'm sitting on an A aiming for A*
Reply 21
I just did the Higher reading and got 23! I rushed it a bit though, I think that's why. :tongue:

I got somewhere in the 30s for the Foundations.

I'm hoping to get an A* - C, I've been pretty good in mocks so hopefully it will go well. What are you hoping to get?
thank you so much everyone, and yes it's the speaking
Original post by hannahsy
I'm doing spanish and french and I always get confused between them :/ once I said nearly all my french controlled assessment in spanish, woops :P but my advice is to look at the pictures as sometimes they can offer hints and learn key vocab and remember to listen out for negatives because especially on higher that's very popular. I'm sitting on an A aiming for A*

Awh you're so lucky! I always wanted to do Spanish. I can see what you mean, I also speak Greek and some words are quite similar and I get confused. Woah, did you manage to fix your controlled assessment? Thank you for the advice, and good to see you're aiming high. I would love an A but I don't think I can manage it haha.

Original post by RoryS
I just did the Higher reading and got 23! I rushed it a bit though, I think that's why. :tongue:

I got somewhere in the 30s for the Foundations.

I'm hoping to get an A* - C, I've been pretty good in mocks so hopefully it will go well. What are you hoping to get?

Awh, that's over a half though isn't it? I still haven't got round to doing it, I had to do homework. So annoying how teachers give out homework near exams. -_- Yeah, I'm thinking around the same, I'm just praying the exam will be nice to us!

Original post by nancyfitzsimons
thank you so much everyone, and yes it's the speaking

It was today you had your speaking, right? I'm sure you've done great!
Tip:
When the question is read the first time, listen carefully to what is being asked.
The second time, write down 3 key words that you're being asked about and translate them quickly in your head.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that in my next mock. :smile:
Reply 26
Well we did a mock exam and i got A* for reading and A for listening.

The main thing is knowing how to pick up the vocabulary in the listening. What i do is that i only listen to the woman speaking at the first beep. Then i absorb the keywords that i can make out. In the 2nd beep i have narrowed down a few answers. Then i build up on my understanding of the sentence and make my decision!

Hope it helps....

I have to do my writting again on monday cos i wrote too much! ughhhhhh
Reply 27
By the way to give you some hope.. My teacher said that getting A* to B in a MFL language is a big deal compared to other subjects...
Trust me I did that exam last year, it's easy. It's mostly multiple choice and common sense not gonna lie. I got an A* on that and the reading and controlled assessment writing.
Reply 29
A* WRITTING I NEED THAT!!!

How did you revise for the writting?
Reply 30
Original post by Mediterrasian
Hey there.

I have a French Higher Listening exam on Monday 14th May and I just know I'm going to struggle with it!

Does anyone have any advice or any practice papers/resources I could use? It'd be much appreciated by me and anyone who needs helps on this too.

And lastly, who else is doing it? How are you feeling for it?

Thanks. :smile:

I also have the same exam as you and i am absolutely s*** at french ://
Reply 31
Awh you're so lucky! I always wanted to do Spanish. I can see what you mean, I also speak Greek and some words are quite similar and I get confused. Woah, did you manage to fix your controlled assessment? Thank you for the advice, and good to see you're aiming high. I would love an A but I don't think I can manage it haha.

Awh, that's over a half though isn't it? I still haven't got round to doing it, I had to do homework. So annoying how teachers give out homework near exams. -_- Yeah, I'm thinking around the same, I'm just praying the exam will be nice to us!

It was today you had your speaking, right? I'm sure you've done great!

Oh to start off with Spanish and French just blurred into one. Controlled assessment was fine, my teacher found it rather amusing :smile: learning Greek sounds really fun, I love languages, just wish they weren't s complex . Good luck in exams x
Original post by acer0951
Well we did a mock exam and i got A* for reading and A for listening.

The main thing is knowing how to pick up the vocabulary in the listening. What i do is that i only listen to the woman speaking at the first beep. Then i absorb the keywords that i can make out. In the 2nd beep i have narrowed down a few answers. Then i build up on my understanding of the sentence and make my decision!

Hope it helps....

I have to do my writting again on monday cos i wrote too much! ughhhhhh

Thanks for the advice, that does sound helpful so I'll be sure to try that! Good luck with your writing but awh, writing too much should be a good thing! I'm sure you'll do great. :smile: And by the way, thanks for telling me what your teacher said, it's motivated me to revise more haha.

Original post by Calllu-m
Trust me I did that exam last year, it's easy. It's mostly multiple choice and common sense not gonna lie. I got an A* on that and the reading and controlled assessment writing.

Ah glad to hear, and well done on your results!
Reply 33
lol thanks.. good luck with your exams and evryone else taking them! But the results were just mocks... so i need to start realllly revising to get the grades in real life. My teacher also gives 20 vocab words to learn each week about the topic. I dont think ive learnt loads but if you do it would really help.
lol thanks.. good luck with your exams and evryone else taking them! But the results were just mocks... so i need to start realllly revising to get the grades in real life. My teacher also gives 20 vocab words to learn each week about the topic. I dont think ive learnt loads but if you do it would really help.

Good luck with your exams too, how many do you have in total? I have 19, ugh. Awh if you can get that in the mock, I'm sure you'll do great in the real thing. My listening mock was pretty bad haha. That's a good idea, I might try that with a textbook I've got. :smile:
Reply 35
:biggrin:14. The excitement and joy that i will have on my face on the 25 june 2012 my last exam is un explainable
:biggrin:14. The excitement and joy that i will have on my face on the 25 june 2012 my last exam is un explainable

Awh lucky, my last one is on the 27th. Haha I know right, I so can't wait for it to be over!
I have it that day too! For me, learning the vocab has really helped, we got a 50 page booklet of words to learn, and a specific list of words they usually use to catch you out. One that's stuck is syndicate d'initiative - tourist information, and other words that sound nothing like their english counterparts. I find the speaking assesments harder though
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
I have it that day too! For me, learning the vocab has really helped, we got a 50 page booklet of words to learn, and a specific list of words they usually use to catch you out. One that's stuck is syndicate d'initiative - tourist information, and other words that sound nothing like their english counterparts. I find the speaking assesments harder though

Awh, how are you feeling for it? That's well good, my teacher just gives us past papers but it's always the same one so it's not much practice when you remember the answers. Thanks for sharing 'syndictate d'initiative' by the way, had no idea that even existed haha. Ah really, I actually really liked the speaking. What did you find most hard about it?

Ah glad to hear, and well done on your results!

Good luck with yours. Honestly, it isn't the most difficult exam ever. It gets a bit tricky at the last questions though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending