The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GdotL
Oh, I did this last year, went to Sierra Leone for 3 months but I was on a separate healthcare strand which doesn't exist this year.

Ah wicked, Sierra Leone's one of my preferred choices. How did you find it?
Reply 21
Hi
I have only just applied for this 2 days ago, i generally didn't know it existed until i came across it the other night. Most organisations expect you to pay towards all your costs and so i have never been able to afford to do it. It is something i have wanted to do for along time, when i had the free time to do it that is. Im worried that i won't get a place for the next departure as that is the only one i can really do as from mid may i have nearly 4 months off until i do second year in uni. Does anyone know where the assessment days are held? is it just London.
Reply 22
Original post by Nikita21
Hi
I have only just applied for this 2 days ago, i generally didn't know it existed until i came across it the other night. Most organisations expect you to pay towards all your costs and so i have never been able to afford to do it. It is something i have wanted to do for along time, when i had the free time to do it that is. Im worried that i won't get a place for the next departure as that is the only one i can really do as from mid may i have nearly 4 months off until i do second year in uni. Does anyone know where the assessment days are held? is it just London.

I think where they're held probably depends a lot on which charity your application is forwarded to. Travel expenses are paid for, though, so location shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm in the same position regarding uni but I applied a little earlier, I'm not sure if yours might be too late but I guess that as long as you put that you need to be back by october (or whenever it is you go back) they'll accept you if there's assessment day's very soon before depature (and they like the application). :smile:
Hey guys,

I applied with Progressio and going to a selcetion day on the 10th of May. This seems like a really amazing opportunity, though I'm little bit nervous because there is a 45 min individual interview. I wonder if this is a really intense assessment and only a few people make it through.

Anyone been to an assessment so far?
Reply 24
Hey, I had an assessment day last week with International Service and hope to go to Palestine (haven't heard back yet). Just thought I'd let you know the day was fine, really quite relaxed. There was a group exercise where we had to arrange cards in an order as a team, and in the interview they just ran through your answers from the online application. Hope it goes well!
Reply 25
Original post by newgrad
Hey, I had an assessment day last week with International Service and hope to go to Palestine (haven't heard back yet). Just thought I'd let you know the day was fine, really quite relaxed. There was a group exercise where we had to arrange cards in an order as a team, and in the interview they just ran through your answers from the online application. Hope it goes well!

What organisation are you hoping to go with? I'm hoping VSO but my assessment day's in June because I want to go in September :smile: Ah it's good to know that it's fairly laid back interview wise. Was it a good mix of people? Oh dear, that's why they told us to save our answers...I didn't! Whoops :/ Good luck with the rest of your application! :biggrin:
Reply 26
I had an assessment day with VSO last week aswell same as before really relaxed and stuff not what i expected and there is only a small group of people during the day like 6. waiting to hear back anytime soon reaalllly wish i get it :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by zohaib01
I had an assessment day with VSO last week aswell same as before really relaxed and stuff not what i expected and there is only a small group of people during the day like 6. waiting to hear back anytime soon reaalllly wish i get it :frown:

Ah wicked! Is it mainly uni students that apply? I have a feeling I'd be one of the youngest if I got through D: Where do you want to go? (If you get a place) do they ultimately decide what country you go to? Good luck anyhow :biggrin:
Reply 28
My application got accepted with VSO which was the one i wanted. But i had to turn down going the assessment day as it stated in the email i could be away until end of oct. And with uni i cant do it. I emailed sarah at VSO and told her the situation, she told me to re apply for the departure in june next year nearer the time which im am for sure going to do. Its a shame i found out about it all too late. Good luck to everyone who gets a place, be an amazing experience :smile:
Reply 29
I found out yesterday that I got a place with Raleigh International, so I'll be going to Nicaragua at the end of June :biggrin:

If anyone has any questions about the process I'd be happy to answer them. Also, I've now only got two weeks to raise £800 - otherwise there's a chance that I won't be allowed to go - so if anyone is willing to donate even a tiny bit, I would be incredibly appreciative. You can find out more and donate at http://www.justgiving.com/Ostockley

Reply 30
Original post by Nikita21
My application got accepted with VSO which was the one i wanted. But i had to turn down going the assessment day as it stated in the email i could be away until end of oct. And with uni i cant do it. I emailed sarah at VSO and told her the situation, she told me to re apply for the departure in june next year nearer the time which im am for sure going to do. Its a shame i found out about it all too late. Good luck to everyone who gets a place, be an amazing experience :smile:

They depart from 1st july which would get you back in time for the first week on Uni thats what Im doing to big an oppertunity to pass off!!
Original post by dulciemae
Ah wicked! Is it mainly uni students that apply? I have a feeling I'd be one of the youngest if I got through D: Where do you want to go? (If you get a place) do they ultimately decide what country you go to? Good luck anyhow :biggrin:

Well everyone is really friendly so you should apply :smile: Im going to tanzania it is where I wanted to go and yes they do decide but if you can give a good reason and if they have spaces they will transfer you
Reply 31
Original post by zohaib01

Well everyone is really friendly so you should apply :smile: Im going to tanzania it is where I wanted to go and yes they do decide but if you can give a good reason and if they have spaces they will transfer you

Aw that's good to know, I've applied, but for leaving in September so my assessment day's not until June 21st! How long after your interview/assessment day did you find out you had a place?

Also, have they given you any help for fundraising or ideas? And is it fundamental that you raise £800? I'm slightly worried that I wouldn't be able to raise the money as I was hoping to use, (for want of a better word) my school to do cake sales and that sort of thing, and I've already technically left school the day before my assessment day! This is all providing I even get a place as well, don't want to jump any guns and tell all the teachers to sponser me if I don't get placed! Fingers's crossed, eh!

Congrats btw, and why did you pick Tanzania out of interest? - that's my first choice too :smile:
Reply 32
Aw that's good to know, I've applied, but for leaving in September so my assessment day's not until June 21st! How long after your interview/assessment day did you find out you had a place?

Also, have they given you any help for fundraising or ideas? And is it fundamental that you raise £800? I'm slightly worried that I wouldn't be able to raise the money as I was hoping to use, (for want of a better word) my school to do cake sales and that sort of thing, and I've already technically left school the day before my assessment day! This is all providing I even get a place as well, don't want to jump any guns and tell all the teachers to sponser me if I don't get placed! Fingers's crossed, eh!

Congrats btw, and why did you pick Tanzania out of interest? - that's my first choice too :smile:

They take about 10 days to get back but I found out in 7, and they have a person in charge of helping you with your fundraising giving you ideas and support. I dont think you have to raise the full amount but you have yo make an effort to make as much as you can I think. Yeah that sound like a good idea I was planing on doing something similar at my local schools to push my money up abit more. Erm I wanted Tanzania because its like so amazingly beautiful and it has awesome beaches for the weekends HA
Reply 33
Hey guyss!
I've just applied.. super excited
But i wrote in the box i have to be bac by 7th sep.. because of my extra year at college..is this going to halter my chances of getting in? Is there any chance whatsoever that i can get into the July1st ones!!??
Reply 34
For those of you who got the place, did you get your preferred choices?
Reply 35
Original post by Zubby77
For those of you who got the place, did you get your preferred choices?

I didn't put any preferences, but from what I can tell by talking to the people I'm going with, most got their preferred organisation but quite a few didn't get the preferred country.
Reply 36
hey, I'm at an assessment day on the 26th of June with the VSO, has anyone had one already with them? I'm slightly apprehensive about it as ive never done anything like this before. What should i expect?? xx
Reply 37
Original post by Rmharr
hey, I'm at an assessment day on the 26th of June with the VSO, has anyone had one already with them? I'm slightly apprehensive about it as ive never done anything like this before. What should i expect?? xx

I had mine today! Was really nice, everyone was lovely; the prospective volunteers and the people directing it. You'll be given group tasks throughout the day, nothing daunting don't worry, and then an interview towards the end, asking you generally about why you want to do the programme - times you've worked well in groups, your strengths and weaknesses etc. I didn't prepare for it though, and neither did anyone else in the group but I think the best answers come from the heart - although it certainly wouldn't have hurt me to give these things a thought beforehand! Have fun!
Reply 38
Original post by OliS
I didn't put any preferences, but from what I can tell by talking to the people I'm going with, most got their preferred organisation but quite a few didn't get the preferred country.

Just saw your update on this thread about your fundraising, congratulations on raising the money! Have a brilliant time!
Reply 39
Just saw your update on this thread about your fundraising, congratulations on raising the money! Have a brilliant time!

Thank you, I'm leaving in a week! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending