The Student Room Group

Can a teacher enter you for an exam even if you don't want to sit it?

My teacher has entered me for unit 4 chemistry exam this summer but I don't want to do it again.
I got an A but she thinks I can go higher plus, she keeps saying that I should go for the A*

I would love an A* in chemistry but an A would suffice too.
Is she right to do this?

I already have 6 exams this summer and I was hoping not to retake any chemistry exams but now this :s-smilie:

I just want to concentrate on unit 5, smash it and perhaps I can get an A* on that basis alone. I need well over 90% in that exam but it's still possible.

Advice?
Also, is it too late to pull out from entry?

I've tried telling her but she keeps on pushing me. :sad:
They can enter you, as it is the responsibility of the school to enter all of their pupils. You need to make it clear to her that you don't wish to sit the exam, and that it'd be wasting the school's money if they entered you for it as you don't plan to turn up on the day.

That's assuming your reasons for not wanting to sit it are valid and reasonable. Obviously listen to the reasons you teacher wants you to sit it, and make sure you're making a good decision.

My school entered me for General Studies when I'd specifically asked them not to because I had a 3 hour exam in the afternoon and could have done without sitting in an exam hall for a further 3 hours in the morning, but they refused to withdraw me so I had to sit it.
Reply 2
nope she can not try explaining again if that doesn't work record a conversation of you explaining if she enters you you will not attend

then dot attend it the school cant charge you as you told them you wouldn't and have proof

how ever i would say that you should think about this the a* would be very useful
Reply 3
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
They can enter you, as it is the responsibility of the school to enter all of their pupils. You need to make it clear to her that you don't wish to sit the exam, and that it'd be wasting the school's money if they entered you for it as you don't plan to turn up on the day.

That's assuming your reasons for not wanting to sit it are valid and reasonable. Obviously listen to the reasons you teacher wants you to sit it, and make sure you're making a good decision.

My school entered me for General Studies when I'd specifically asked them not to because I had a 3 hour exam in the afternoon and could have done without sitting in an exam hall for a further 3 hours in the morning, but they refused to withdraw me so I had to sit it.

Ahhh that must be annoying for you :s-smilie:

Well, I really just wanna focus on unit 5. Unit 4 is done and dusted and tbh, I can't remember a lot.
She's also been forcing me to go to the revision classes for unit 4 after school :mad:

Reasons for not sitting the exam:
I want to focus on unit 5
I have priorities elsewhere in my other subjects
I can still get an A* if I smash unit 5

Are these good reasons?
Reply 4
Also, to add, I am the only 1 who got an A and is being forced to resit it.
The rest who got an A ain't gonna resit it..... :mad:
Well if you got lower, then the original mark would be used then, would it not? So you could go over it a little, sit the exam, but not let it interfere with your other exams - so if you got a lower mark, it wouldn't matter anyway. Concentrate on the others, though if she's got a lot of faith in you, maybe ask yourself if you could get the A*?
Original post by The Polar Dude
Ahhh that must be annoying for you :s-smilie:

Well, I really just wanna focus on unit 5. Unit 4 is done and dusted and tbh, I can't remember a lot.
She's also been forcing me to go to the revision classes for unit 4 after school :mad:

Reasons for not sitting the exam:
I want to focus on unit 5
I have priorities elsewhere in my other subjects
I can still get an A* if I smash unit 5

Are these good reasons?

Well it was 3 years ago so I've kinda recovered now haha. To be honest if you've already got an A and you're confident with the other subjects, and you'd still meet any offers you have for uni/are planning to apply for if you haven't already, then I'd say tell her you're not sitting, simple as.
Reply 7
My teacher has entered me for unit 4 chemistry exam this summer but I don't want to do it again.
I got an A but she thinks I can go higher plus, she keeps saying that I should go for the A*

Is she right to do this?

I already have 6 exams this summer and I was hoping not to retake any chemistry exams but now this :s-smilie:

I just want to concentrate on unit 5, smash it and perhaps I can get an A* on that basis alone. I need well over 90% in that exam but it's still possible.

Advice?

Yes, but you're under no obligation to attend.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Well if you got lower, then the original mark would be used then, would it not? So you could go over it a little, sit the exam, but not let it interfere with your other exams - so if you got a lower mark, it wouldn't matter anyway. Concentrate on the others, though if she's got a lot of faith in you, maybe ask yourself if you could get the A*?

I see what you're saying. But what's the point of me sitting the exam if I don't give me all.
I am going to be focusing on my other exams WAY more than this exam.
Plus this exam is 2 days before my unit 4 bio :s-smilie:
Reply 9
They can enter you for it, but you of course don't need to sit it. Even if you do sit it, you need not try your best.

I suggest you prepare hardest for your other exams as these are where you have the most potential marks, and go along to this one to keep your teacher sweet. You might as well have a go.
Reply 10
Happens at my school all the time. Students get entered for resits, despite being satisfied with the grade they got in the first place!
My Physics teacher made me resit one of my GCSE Phsyics exams after initially scoring an A*, just so I could get a 'higher A*. CRAZY.

But if you don't want to, she obviously can't force you! :smile:
Original post by PinkEye
Happens at my school all the time. Students get entered for resits, despite being satisfied with the grade they got in the first place!
My Physics teacher made me resit one of my GCSE Phsyics exams after initially scoring an A*, just so I could get a 'higher A*. CRAZY.

But if you don't want to, she obviously can't force you! :smile:

:eek4: Dang....

After hearing all you guys speak, you've managed to get me 50/50 on the decision to retake it.
:cry2:
Perhaps I can cram in the fews days before the exam.
Write to the head, cc the teacher, head of subject, head of sixth form, and exams officer

Explain that you do not wish to be entered and explain why, as you have done here

Then ignore anymore comments about it
So you're being forced to retake a exam? do you still have to pay because at my college is it bloody expensive to retake alevel exams, around about £28 no matter what exam board (i think my college profits quite a bit in this), if you already achieved an A and the only point of this exam is to do a bit better than don't use up a lot of time revising for it, its just another chance if you're unable to pull out you might as well try, focus on your other exams much more than this one and maybe only revise like 10 minutes a day on it or have a quick look at your book from time to time, just don't treat it with the same amount of stress as the other exams because if if you don't do well you still got that A which is really good anyway and the only time where you really need to focus on this exam is if you were interested in places like oxford or cambridge or any other unis that want people with A* because an A is amazing at alevel anyway! :biggrin:
Reply 14
No she can't make you sit the exam. It's your choice, you just need to be a little bit more fierce.

Is she right to do this?

Advice?

I'm in the same position (not being forced to resit but rather on the grades front) I got a solid A in unit 4 and if I got very high on unit 5 I could still get the A* but I'm happy with the A as it's what I was predicted anyway and I feel I can get an A* in one of my other subjects to meet my uni requirements.

If you really don't want to resit (which I fully understand) just tell them that it's your decision and you don't want to do it and explain that you don't need it for uni and that you're more likely to get the A* by focussing on unit 5 rather than doing unit 5 and unit 4. My school entered me and a bunch of others for General Studies even though we were doing the EPQ and had explicitly stated that we didn't want to do it. We went to the person who put us in for General Studies a few times telling her that it was our choice and then I spoke to my Deputy Head as well. In the end we were given the choice as to whether to withdraw or not.

Quick Reply

Latest