The Student Room Group

RE-APPLYING to Oxbridge AFTER first year in ANOTHER UNI

Hey,

If anyone has reapplied to Oxbridge after/during their first year at another Uni, or knows of anyone who did so, I would really appreciate your help!

1) When exactly did you reapply to Cambridge? Was it at the start of your second year, or first year at university, and was it when most people submit their Oxbridge forms for that year (Sep/Oct)?

2) Did you do it through UCAS, or separately? What is the procedure, and what documents are required.

3) Which were the colleges that said they would not accept a re-application? Which colleges said maybe? And which colleges were definitively OK with it?

4) Did you have to provide a reference from the uni you were attending stating your tutor's opinion of you (separate from a letter from the uni acknowledging they knew you were re-applying to Cambridge)? Or would a 6th form reference be sufficient?

5) Were you successful with the reapplication in the end?

6) What subject had you initially applied for at Oxbridge, what were you studying at the uni you did your first year, and what were you reapplying for at Oxbridge?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, but I really would like to hear from others who have gone through this process. Thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance

Scroll to see replies

My friend studying Economics at Cambridge reapplied to do PPE at Oxford. He was doing it at Trinity, the director of studies/tutors were really pissed at him at Cambridge. Whilst, for Oxford PPE, he didn't get an interview.

If you apply to Oxbridge from another university, they are usually quite pissed off if it is a top tier university. I had a friend from Imperial who accidently mentioned the fact he was at Imperial and his interview was drawn to a close pretty much immediately. You have got some top quality offers there: LSE, Durham and Warwick. Just go to one of those and be happy.

Also you are too late. You should have applied by October. You will be in your second year at LSE whilst applying for an undergraduate at Cambridge, be so pointless to change.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Deep456
My friend studying Economics at Cambridge reapplied to do PPE at Oxford. He was doing it at Trinity, the director of studies/tutors were really pissed at him at Cambridge. Whilst, for Oxford PPE, he didn't get an interview.

If you apply to Oxbridge from another university, they are usually quite pissed off if it is a top tier university. I had a friend from Imperial who accidently mentioned the fact he was at Imperial and his interview was drawn to a close pretty much immediately. You have got some top quality offers there: LSE, Durham and Warwick. Just go to one of those and be happy.

Also you are too late. You should have applied by October. You will be in your second year at LSE whilst applying for an undergraduate at Cambridge, be so pointless to change.

Perhaps I should have mentioned, I would like to do a different course to the one I am currently studying, and it is very unlikely I'll be able to make a transition to that course at LSE.

I read a past thread where someone managed to re-apply to Cambridge without mentioning it to the Uni they were attending at the time - is this what your friend from Imperial did?
Original post by ice_dragoness274
Perhaps I should have mentioned, I would like to do a different course to the one I am currently studying, and it is very unlikely I'll be able to make a transition to that course at LSE.

I read a past thread where someone managed to re-apply to Cambridge without mentioning it to the Uni they were attending at the time - is this what your friend from Imperial did?

Yes, I still think you should stick it out at LSE, seeing as though you will be two years into your degree by the time you apply.

If you wanted to change course, wouldn't it make more sense to apply to 5 places next year, rather just Cambridge?
You're so desperate it's tragic - from your sig "probably the hardest Cambridge course/college to get into". Just accept that you've been rejected and concentrate on doing well in your current course.
get over it love
Original post by electriic_ink
You're so desperate it's tragic - from your sig "probably the hardest Cambridge course/college to get into". Just accept that you've been rejected and concentrate on doing well in your current course.

Original post by kaylafrances
get over it love

Right, well it's not unheard of for people to reapply in their first year at another uni. Electric Ink I could equally say you are so judgemental, it's tragic.
The reason being that Cambridge is the only university actually offering the course I want to do, with the ability to take a combination of modules that really interests me. Moreover, I want to do a degree different to the one I currently am doing, which my current Uni does not offer.

To clarify, I'm not reapplying to Cambridge merely because of its name or reputation.

So please contextualise things before you make such a brash statement. Just looking for constructive advice from people who have knowledge about how the procedure works.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Right, well it's not unheard of for people to reapply in their first year at another uni. Electric Ink I could equally say you are so judgemental, it's tragic.
The reason being that Cambridge is the only university actually offering the course I want to do, with the ability to take a combination of modules that really interests me. Moreover, I want to do a degree different to the one I currently am doing, which my current Uni does not offer.

To clarify, I'm not reapplying to Cambridge merely because of its name or reputation.

So please contextualise things before you make such a brash statement. Just looking for constructive advice from people who have knowledge about how the procedure works.

Who are you kidding :smile:

It's like them Imperial kids all saying "I gonna do masters at Oxbridge!" while being in the first year or after getting a rejection from Oxbridge. Get over it.

If its any help, one of my friends tried applying for Cambridge while being at Imperial and got autorejected.
Reply 8
Hey,

If anyone has reapplied to Oxbridge after/during their first year at another Uni, or knows of anyone who did so, I would really appreciate your help!

1) When exactly did you reapply to Cambridge? Was it at the start of your second year, or first year at university, and was it when most people submit their Oxbridge forms for that year (Sep/Oct)?

2) Did you do it through UCAS, or separately? What is the procedure, and what documents are required.

3) Which were the colleges that said they would not accept a re-application? Which colleges said maybe? And which colleges were definitively OK with it?

4) Did you have to provide a reference from the uni you were attending stating your tutor's opinion of you (separate from a letter from the uni acknowledging they knew you were re-applying to Cambridge)? Or would a 6th form reference be sufficient?

6) What subject had you initially applied for at Oxbridge, what were you studying at the uni you did your first year, and what were you reapplying for at Oxbridge?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, but I really would like to hear from others who have gone through this process. Thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance

Oxford and Cambridge have both made statements saying they do not consider applicants who are already undertaking another degree as they consider that the applicant should complete this and that accepting an application from such an applicant undermines the university system. You might get away with it if you were attending a very low tier university after getting unexpectedly high grades but really they expect you to take a year out and apply in the normal manner in that case. (However I see someone has posted below that they know someone who has gone from Imperial to Oxbridge so who knows!!!)

Some universities will consider applicants who have done a year somewhere else. The usual method is to contact the university to check if they would consider you and then apply via UCAS in the normal manner if you are entering the first year or to arrange a transfer to the second year of a degree at an alternative institution with the university direct. They usually stipulate you must have passed your first year and often set a percentage mark such as above 60%

If you really feel that you are on the wrong course you could withdraw from your course at the end of the first year, take a year out and do a whole new application via UCAS. However that is still risky for Oxbridge.

If you enter the second year of your current degree then funding for fees and maintenance from Student Finance becomes difficult. You are allowed funding according to the following formula:

length of new degree plus one year minus any years spent previously studying at the same level or above (unless there are extentuating medical circumstances)

So, in effect you can only study one year before it affects funding for any future degree. This means you definitely can't leave it any later than the end of the first academic year to make your decisions unless you are able to cover the £9000 fee for a year yourself.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Someone I know is first year maths at Imperial and has just re-applied and been accepted into Oxford. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth for me personally though...
Reply 10
Hey,

If anyone has reapplied to Oxbridge after/during their first year at another Uni, or knows of anyone who did so

Thank you in advance

From my limited knowledge of this, this is what I've heard:
I have a friend who is planning to attend LSE (economics), and he is reapplying to Oxford PPE in his first year. He's doing this through UCAS and not telling Oxford that he's currently doing his first year.

I have actually heard that Cambridge care much more than Oxford, and if you recall your SAQ it actually specifically asked you about whether you're currently studying your undergraduate degree.

People have successfully done it, btw are you currently at uni or just finishing up your a levels? If the former is true, wouldn't make sense to switch so deep into your course, is the latter is true I'd say take a gap year and reapply!
Hey,

Thank you in advance

I have a friend who did that. He got rejected by Oxbridge when he applied for undergraduate first year, but got into Imperial. During his first year in Imperial, he reapplied to Oxbridge and Cambridge accepted him. So, I think he will be going to Cambridge for his second year? I'm not very sure. But, what I'm sure is he reapplied and got accepted by Cambridge.
I know nothing about the procedure or when he applied, so I can't help much on that. However, this might just give you a glimpse of hope that people have actually done this before and have succeeded. :cool:
Original post by Moa
Who are you kidding :smile:

It's like them Imperial kids all saying "I gonna do masters at Oxbridge!" while being in the first year or after getting a rejection from Oxbridge. Get over it.

If its any help, one of my friends tried applying for Cambridge while being at Imperial and got autorejected.

I don't see the problem with the first bit though. I want to do a masters, preferably in America/LSE.

I never mentioned anything about name or reputation. You could be this desperate to do Cake Decorating at Coventry and I'd still say the same thing. The fact is that you seem to be so infatuated with this particular course that you've not even given your other offers a chance.

If you really want to do an entirely different course then take a year out. But the offers you hold already can't be that bad if you applied there to begin with and you're planning on spending a year there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
You could transfer in your first year depending on your grades?

Jan Sramek was doing Maths at Trinity, although he wasn't the average type of student. He transferred to LSE in his second year to do the Maths and Econ UG.
Reply 15
Original post by Bubblyjubbly
Jan Sramek is regarded by many as a monstrous self-publicist. Aside from the fact that it is rumoured that
he was a low 2.1 candidate at Cambridge who went on to achieve a high first from LSE (that says it all),
one would be more impressed if he had actually stayed at Cambridge and then set up some successful
businesses or at least become a successful trader. The simple truth is that an Oxbridge undergraduate
degree is prized for a reason, hence why he is so chippy about the place. Ali Moeen Nawazish ended up
with his 23 A Levels and apparently found the first year at Cambridge a little too tough after initially going
on about studying medicine after doing computer science, and so changed to the easiest degree Oxbridge
offer by a country mile (SPS) where he got a 2.1.

Well, jan may have got low grades on the course because he wasn't interested in maths anymore. A 2:1 is hardly something to be ashamed of anyway. Furthermore, I think it's maths at Cambridge which is such a difficult course as they require you to take STEP and pass it well. So it is not surprising that he got a 1st at LSE studying econ, he probably would have got a 1st at cambridge if he had switched to econ there. Obviously Jan wanted to be closer to the city, and with LSE's ties to the financial sector the move would have made sense. I agree that Jan is a shameless self-publicist but hell, what's wrong with that? Who are we to judge?

Anyway, I think most people would agree that 21 As at A-level is much harder than getting a 1st at Oxbridge. I mean, what a remarkable feat of memory and self-study? That's nothing to be scoffed at. It was probably the case that this Moeen guy no longer felt such an affinity for his studies, and couldn't be assed to put in the work having got to Cam. Surely the fact that this guy changed course is a good indicator that he was no longer interested in computer science.

I don't see what you are trying to say with your post- are you trying to imply that an Oxbridge 1st class is the greatest feat of man possible conceivable? Cos it's not.

Edit: Wait, I didn't see those 3 red bars, otherwise I wouldn't have dignified your trolling with a response.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Bubblyjubbly
I'm sorry Jan, did I offend you ?

A troll calling someone else a troll, is that delusion, hypocrisy or projection ?

I got halfway through reading this post before I realised the points you have raised bare no relevance to the OPs question. We know that getting a 1st at Cam is hard, but so is getting 21 A grades at AS and so is publishing your own book at the age of 20. You can say what you like about these achievements, but your words will be wasted on my ears and probably for that matter most others'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
Well, jan may have got low grades on the course because he wasn't interested in maths anymore. A 2:1 is hardly something to be ashamed of anyway. Furthermore, I think it's maths at Cambridge which is such a difficult course as they require you to take STEP and pass it well. So it is not surprising that he got a 1st at LSE studying econ, he probably would have got a 1st at cambridge if he had switched to econ there. Obviously Jan wanted to be closer to the city, and with LSE's ties to the financial sector the move would have made sense. I agree that Jan is a shameless self-publicist but hell, what's wrong with that? Who are we to judge?

Anyway, I think most people would agree that 21 As at A-level is much harder than getting a 1st at Oxbridge. I mean, what a remarkable feat of memory and self-study? That's nothing to be scoffed at. It was probably the case that this Moeen guy no longer felt such an affinity for his studies, and couldn't be assed to put in the work having got to Cam. Surely the fact that this guy changed course is a good indicator that he was no longer interested in computer science.

I don't see what you are trying to say with your post- are you trying to imply that an Oxbridge 1st class is the greatest feat of man possible conceivable? Cos it's not.

Edit: Wait, I didn't see those 3 red bars, otherwise I wouldn't have dignified your trolling with a response.

They're both hard, but a different type of hard. A level content is pretty shallow so getting so many As is a feat of memory, as you say. Getting a first at Oxbridge requires different skills from doing loads of A levels - there is a certain ceiling of ability that might not be apparent at A level but which is very clear at uni (The mathmos seem to have felt this very keenly, not being able to just get things as they used to etc.)

I'm not saying he didn't switch out of a change in interests, but it's also likely that the skills he needed to learn so much content to a relatively shallow level did not actually help that much with what he was doing at uni.
Reply 18
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
They're both hard, but a different type of hard. A level content is pretty shallow so getting so many As is a feat of memory, as you say. Getting a first at Oxbridge requires different skills from doing loads of A levels - there is a certain ceiling of ability that might not be apparent at A level but which is very clear at uni (The mathmos seem to have felt this very keenly, not being able to just get things as they used to etc.)

I'm not saying he didn't switch out of a change in interests, but it's also likely that the skills he needed to learn so much content to a relatively shallow level did not actually help that much with what he was doing at uni.

Yeah, I agree. My dad was a Cambridge mathmo so I know all about ceilings. Anyway, it seems the ones in my house are pretty high :tongue:, metaphorically speaking ofc .
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth

Anyway, I think most people would agree that 21 As at A-level is much harder than getting a 1st at Oxbridge.

Roughly 100% at Oxbridge would disagree with you, and I think a very large majority of students at other very good universities would feel the same way about a 1st on their courses.

Most people on tough courses at top unis cruise A Levels with little to no work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending