sayed_7786
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
What do you guys think of aat? I don't want to go uni and currently got no real experience in accounts, even though i got a 2-1 at uni for a module i did in business, but then i decided i rather leave uni and work. My question is would i be earning from level 1 while i'm studying the course from home?
Tokyoround
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It helps you get near the bottom of the ladder. Obviously an accounting/finance degree would be better, but, AAT will at least help you make the first step, provided you are a good candidate.
chloerichards
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The level 1 AAT qualification is equal to being on a level where you are predicted Grades E,F,G at GCSE level. Personally I have done the AAT level 1 and am now on Level 2, in my opinion it would be perfectly acceptable to jump and start at Level 2. The likelihood of you getting a job when you've completed Level 1 alone is slim. Normally once you've completed Level 2 is when employers start to look at you and think about taking you on.

Hope that advice helps.

Good Luck.
sayed_7786
(Original post by chloerichards)
The level 1 AAT qualification is equal to being on a level where you are predicted Grades E,F,G at GCSE level. Personally I have done the AAT level 1 and am now on Level 2, in my opinion it would be perfectly acceptable to jump and start at Level 2. The likelihood of you getting a job when you've completed Level 1 alone is slim. Normally once you've completed Level 2 is when employers start to look at you and think about taking you on.

Hope that advice helps.

Good Luck.
Thanks, i will certainly look into that. I'm just wondering at do you get paid for leaning aat course?
chloerichards
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sayed_7786)
Thanks, i will certainly look into that. I'm just wondering at do you get paid for leaning aat course?

I don't get paid for learning the aat course, but i'm in an extremely fortunate position where my work pay for my course.

So that can happen if your lucky enough to find an employer to do that for you.

Good Luck
sayed_7786
I don't get paid for learning the aat course, but i'm in an extremely fortunate position where my work pay for my course.

So that can happen if your lucky enough to find an employer to do that for you.

Good Luck
How you manage that? who do you work for?
StuartW
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In many cases earning while you learn is a product of studying via an AAT apprenticeship (there's also a page on AAT apprenticeship funding).

It's also worth checking out the National Apprenticeship Service website, and AAT's discussion forums have lots of archived conversations catering to people who are in a similar position to you. AAT's Facebook is a vibrant hub of activity for people with questions, plus there's a free webinar this Friday (27 April) for people who would like to know more about the qualification.

It's also worth chatting to AAT's team, who are trained to help out with these kind of queries. You can call them on 0845 863 0802, email them at [email protected] or use AAT's online chat service.

Hope some of that helps! Best of luck finding the route you'd like to take...

Stuart
chloerichards
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I work for a small accountancy firm. Just lucky I guess, have been employed there for about 4 years now.

I reckon what has been said above is probably the best way to start looking for an accounting job, and fingers crossed hopefully getting it paid for too.
Lamps08
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I work for a small accountancy firm. Just lucky I guess, have been employed there for about 4 years now.

I reckon what has been said above is probably the best way to start looking for an accounting job, and fingers crossed hopefully getting it paid for too.
Hey there, I have an interview for an AAT training role. How difficult is it really? In the preliminary interview type thing they were saying how intensive it was, kinda implying that I wouldn't have much free time. Plz confirm to me this is NOT true... Also they said AAT Level's 3 &4 are alot tougher than Level 2. I'm aware that the exams to become chartered are very tough and probably too much for me personally.
uxa595
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought the AAT was meant to be not that great compared to the ACA and CIMA?
Why wouldn't you join a firm and do one of the others?
Lamps08
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by uxa595)
I thought the AAT was meant to be not that great compared to the ACA and CIMA?
Why wouldn't you join a firm and do one of the others?
It's not that great, you're right....
tnajamie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lamps08)
It's not that great, you're right....
why is it not that great? I want to do this course, what is wrong with it?
Lamps08
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tnajamie)
why is it not that great? I want to do this course, what is wrong with it?
I mean compared to ACA, which is great :sogood: I'm currently under the impression that one has to become Chartered to make it in this game, and AAT is merely a stepping stone. If I were a graduate I would go straight onto the ACA/ACCA and see if I could hack it. I think ACA is the better one as well and means you're actually offcially a Chartered Accountant, and then CIMA being pretty crap.

I just don't like the idea of spending so much time training to only get so far, as I honestly don't fancy my chances at becoming Chartered, which is mainly based on my previous academics (very average)
non
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by StuartW)
In many cases earning while you learn is a product of studying via an AAT apprenticeship (there's also a page on AAT apprenticeship funding).

It's also worth checking out the National Apprenticeship Service website, and AAT's discussion forums have lots of archived conversations catering to people who are in a similar position to you. AAT's Facebook is a vibrant hub of activity for people with questions, plus there's a free webinar this Friday (27 April) for people who would like to know more about the qualification.

It's also worth chatting to AAT's team, who are trained to help out with these kind of queries. You can call them on 0845 863 0802, email them at [email protected] or use AAT's online chat service.

Hope some of that helps! Best of luck finding the route you'd like to take...

Stuart
that is some very useful information, thanks.
mariongo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
According to UCAS, level 3 AAT is equivalent to 160 UCAS points.
Pipsico
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lamps08)
I mean compared to ACA, which is great :sogood: I'm currently under the impression that one has to become Chartered to make it in this game, and AAT is merely a stepping stone. If I were a graduate I would go straight onto the ACA/ACCA and see if I could hack it. I think ACA is the better one as well and means you're actually offcially a Chartered Accountant, and then CIMA being pretty crap.

I just don't like the idea of spending so much time training to only get so far, as I honestly don't fancy my chances at becoming Chartered, which is mainly based on my previous academics (very average)
How is CIMA 'crap'? It's management accountancy and not really comparable to practice..... CIMA is the preferred qualification in industry which says a lot. I had the choice to take ACCA or CIMA at my company, with CIMA being preferred. I don't understand all this elitist nonsense.. A qualified accountant is a qualified accountant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sharon0508
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have got a new job offer after completing a training course with Osborne Training Centre. Most of the tutors are qualified accountants, IT based classroom, reasonable fees created a best value for the service in the heart of Olympic Venue. They offered me a job placement after the training programme and the quality of service is excellent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (209)
57.26%
I don't have everything I need (156)
42.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise