The Student Room Group

London Riots manslaughter - Sister of victim "forgives" rioter/murderer: Would You?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Or rather give him something to laugh about.

And why should I stop there? All of his type with the so-called gangster mentality who are of no use or good whatsoever to society should be taken out. Indeed, one could plan an elaborate operation and systematically take out these type of criminal scum (certainly not the stupid Breivik-style where we take out criminals-to-be!).**

*This a purely hypothetical situation. This sentence should be treated as it would a sentence in a novel.

One has to protect themselves these days - I wouldn't want to be prosecuted for encouraging the murder and assassination of certain persons. :colonhash:

Nice to see you seeing all the good in people. :smile:
Original post by tu_es_jolie_x
because punching pensioners as long as you don't mean to kill them is fine...

Forgiveness to me is what you do if someone breaks your favourite necklace or your best friend stands you up for her boyfriend. Not when someone kills a member of your family or a friend.

I didn't say its fine, can't you read? I gave a reason WHY she chose to forgive, and forgiveness is a different thing to everyone.. I doubt she would have been as compassionate if for instance this guy punched the pensioner, then continued beating him until he died..
Reply 42
This is a tough one. I feel I should find it find from somewhere to forgive but this would be a VERY long time coming.

On another note, the boy is 17, his mum is 31 meaning she had him at just 14 yrs old. I'm sure there was no dad on the scene. I think that says it all really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sure it's manslaughter because he didn't intend to kill the elderly man, but what the heck do you expect striking a defenceless weak person? This boy is an animal. I hope one day he truly realises what he's done.
Reply 44
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Are you ready to ride the sentence though? Because if you killed the perpetrator in revenge, it would not be 8 years for manslaughter like this guy got.. The sentence you'd get would be more (maybe even murder) because his was a sudden random punch, yours would be a pre-planned mission.

Sure, that or go out guns blazing. Either way he'd be a dead man as soon as he did it, I'm being completely serious.
Reply 45
Original post by Besakt
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Stupid logic. We don't kill an executioner for executing a murderer.
I think if you go and punch someone weak and vulnerable such as an old man in the face then that is attempted murder. What the **** do you expect to occur from such stupidity?
Original post by Einheri
Sure, that or go out guns blazing. Either way he'd be a dead man as soon as he did it, I'm being completely serious.

I agree with you
Reply 48
No sympathy for those that prey on the weak.

There'll be alot more of this stuff going on as well, no way the swarming feral masses are going to allow the olympics to go smoothly. Hopefully they'll get the army in next time.
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
I'd find out his exact release date, roll up and show him whats really good

This. He'll know what's up.
Original post by Benniboi1
I can understand why someone wouldn't forgive him. Just because they don't forgive him does not mean they are in the wrong. But forgiveness is a powerful thing and we should embrace it more often, our everyday lives is filled with hate, whether we see it on the news or from first hand experience. Sentencing him to death achieves nothing, it will only create more anger.

I completely agree with what the sister has said, he has ruined his own life, it's sad that people don't see that doing something like this will destroy their own lives as well as the lives of the victims family.

We need to stop being so fixated with punishment and start fixing the problems we have in society that lead to people having broken and missing morals. The guy that was convicted could easily have been you or I if we had been brought up in his shoes.

I would like to say I would forgive him, but who knows how I would react in this situation.

This is the gayest thing I've ever heard.
Reply 51
Original post by KimKallstrom

Seconded.
Allowing yourself to be consumed by hate is harmful. Any justice, sanctioned by the courts or otherwise, won't bring your brother back.

Also, not nice to see that there's open homophobia from the computer tough guys.
Really? What is she on.

Hate may not be a healthy emotion but it gets the job done. What she should be praying for is that the kid gets sent down for years, but through hard work becomes rehabilitated and suceed in life. Only then to then be punched to death by some yob when he is trying to defend his community.
But baring a delusional miracle I would settle for him or his evidence tampering mother having an aneurysm after he is sentenced
I think for me forgiveness is only something that applies to people you know and have some sort of emotional connection with. If I didn't know someone and they killed my brother I would hate them for what they did but I don't think I would think about them very much or have any interest in their lives afterwards. If on the other hand one sibling killed another then I have no idea how I would react because I would have some positive feelings towards the killer from before and my feelings would be very complicated.

He probably didnt mean to kill the guy which is important. If my brother was out having a few beers with his mate and they fell out and his mate hit him and he died from it, I hope I wouldn't feel any hate towards his mate. In that situtation I think I would feel bad for his mate. But you have got to be scum to be punching old people.
No I would not forgive him.
Reply 56
Original post by KimKallstrom

Original post by Einheri
Seconded.

What would you do then?
Reply 57
Original post by Benniboi1
What would you do then?

I would kill him.
I would like to think that I could - but honestly, I don't see myself being able to forgive someone in that situation. Such a shameless waste of life.
Reply 59
Original post by Einheri
I would kill him.

But what good would that do?

Mass murders aren't born with genetic differences to us, nor do they suddenly turn into criminals overnight. The reason they have what we would consider a disgusting set of morals is because over time they absorb different viewpoints of society and there's a sliding scale of viewpoints of people in society. There's people who have a very good set of moral values, people who have a good set of moral values but have conflicting viewpoints on some issues (typical issues include racial stereotyping etc) and then eventually you get to the people who have extreme viewpoints, like that of Anders Breivik for example.

Over time it is possible for members of society to become separated, like gangs for example. Take a bunch of criminals and separate them from society, they start off with not very good morals and committing minor offences, (shoplifting etc) and because the only contact they have is with other people like theirselves, their viewpoints eventually get worse as well, leading to worse crimes and if this continues long enough it's only a matter of time before one of them commits a serious crime. There is nothing to stop them unless they get caught.

What I'm trying to say is that once upon a time, they were just like you and I, this is why you sometimes see videos of people who went to school with mass murders and say that they were completely normal and you would have never known that in 20 years time they eventually ruthlessly kill tens or hundreds of people. I think we can stop ourselves from going down that road but people who have never had a normal life, I don't think it's so straight forward.

It's absolutely right in my opinion to separate people who have such extreme views from society and try and rehabilitate them, now if that means that some people never become part of society again, so be it. It's another issue whether in 50 years time a mass murder who has become completely reformed should be let back in society because I don't know if it would be possible to tell if someone has become completely reformed and it would be distressing to the families of the people this person had killed if they could walk free again.

We can decide to kill these people, however in my opinion for the reasons above, it's societies fault that they did what they did and it would be wrong to kill them. Or we can exercise the good members of society we are by forgiving. Take Nelson Mandela as an example, truly extraordinary man, spent nearly 30 years in prison when he had committed no crime and came out prepared to forgive the people who unjustly took away his freedom. He didn't have to do that.

'For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.' - Nelson Mandela

He wanted to set an example to other people, to prevent other people from suffering unjustly. If it wasn't for people like him, then we may not live in such an open society as we do today.

Whether you wish to forgive or not to forgive is your choice and your choice only, it's obviously extremely hard to forgive someone that has affected your life and changed your life forever, but until we all learn to reconcile then we will never be at peace and there will always be broken parts of society.

And no, I'm not religious, I don't believe in God, I just think we can have no complaints with a broken society if we don't learn from other people's mistakes.

Oh and much appreciated if anyone actually reads that to the end :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending