The Student Room Group

Crossdressing help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FinalFallenFantasy
Well, you know my thoughts and suggestions on this front. I'm just here to show support.

D'aww aintchu a darlin'.
Original post by Schemilix
People don't do anything for no reason - they do it because they want to.

You must be transgender then?
Reply 22
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You must be transgender then?

I'd like for you to take a hint, please, and stop asking questions when I've clearly been avoiding a direct answer. My reasons are irrelevant and will clutter this thread, not to mention that wanting to pass for male might not immediately make me male. Why should it?
There must be a reason why you want to cross-dress. People don't just cross-dress for no reason.

I crossdress for what most people consider to be no reason. I like it, I enjoy being androgynous and take full advantage of my height and androgynous frame to pass as a boy when I feel the urge.
Reply 24
Can you people not realise that you shouldn't be asking her why? She has hinted and even stated that she doesn't really want questions asked and you should respect this!

I am sorry I can't give you any direct help though OP as I don't really have any experience on the matter and my fashion sense is awful to begin with any way, although the suggestions I have seen seem extremely helpful and I hope that you achieve the desired look you wish to go for!

In terms of suggestions, although they may seem amateurish, I would suggest baseball caps and long baggy t-shirts and hoodies. This way they should hang off your curves and hide your hips.
Eye brows are also an often defining feature between males and females so perhaps you could get a makeup pencil and draw them to look a bit fuller? Sorry I can't really be anymore help though!
Reply 25
Original post by Joshalos
Can you people not realise that you shouldn't be asking her why? She has hinted and even stated that she doesn't really want questions asked and you should respect this!

I am sorry I can't give you any direct help though OP as I don't really have any experience on the matter and my fashion sense is awful to begin with any way, although the suggestions I have seen seem extremely helpful and I hope that you achieve the desired look you wish to go for!

In terms of suggestions, although they may seem amateurish, I would suggest baseball caps and long baggy t-shirts and hoodies. This way they should hang off your curves and hide your hips.
Eye brows are also an often defining feature between males and females so perhaps you could get a makeup pencil and draw them to look a bit fuller? Sorry I can't really be anymore help though!

I have kinda masculine eyebrows anyway since I don't pluck, but that's a suggestion. Can't stand baseball caps or beanies on men, though, for the record. Associated with a type of person I rarely get along with.

Thanks for getting my point by the way. :smile: People are quite nosy, I was asking for tips and that's all, it doesn't really matter why (other than situation, like for stage or not for stage).
I get read as a male all the time maybe I can help :smile:

Erm...have you thought about trying straight leg male jeans (primark does short length), a short haircut (mine is short spikes), and a guy's hoody? Also, according to my mum, high top trainers on the outside of jeans apparently looks male, though if you've got really little feet that might not work. If you can't afford a binder you can wear 2 sports bras - one backwards one forwards - and it works pretty well, totally hides my 34DD boobs. Maybe hit the gym so you can develop a bit of muscle definition, I've only been going to the gym for 4 weeks but already my biceps are way bigger. Lift heavy for small number of reps and get lots of protein in your diet. Things like layering your clothes, for example a baggy band tee then a shirt on top can help to hide boobs and hips.

Hope this helps.
Reply 27
Original post by Culture Slut
I get read as a male all the time maybe I can help :smile:

Erm...have you thought about trying straight leg male jeans (primark does short length), a short haircut (mine is short spikes), and a guy's hoody? Also, according to my mum, high top trainers on the outside of jeans apparently looks male, though if you've got really little feet that might not work. If you can't afford a binder you can wear 2 sports bras - one backwards one forwards - and it works pretty well, totally hides my 34DD boobs. Maybe hit the gym so you can develop a bit of muscle definition, I've only been going to the gym for 4 weeks but already my biceps are way bigger. Lift heavy for small number of reps and get lots of protein in your diet. Things like layering your clothes, for example a baggy band tee then a shirt on top can help to hide boobs and hips.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I can get away with a tight top and a baggy shirt to hide mine - I'm just about an A. The only reason I have visible breasts is because I wear a bra in case of, you know, nipple incidents. No need for a sports bra, I don't think it would actually do any good. Not enough to bind, though I have heard that method.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful! It feels a lot more possible to be read as male with all this advice and so on, it's really heartening.

I did consider the gym. I am so lazy though augghhh. It would be good for my health though so I should anyway.

I do have tiny feet but I have trainers that make my feet look bigger. And indeed a male hoody would do the trick, but it's getting a little warm for that.
Personally I would stay away from make-up. It's fine to experiment, of course, but in my experience people are very good at discerning when someone doesn't quite look right, and this will be exacerbated if they see make-up on the face of someone they believe to be male. Just an opinion though :smile:

Other than that, the advice on this thread seems good. Have you thought about lifting weights? It may tone down some of your curves and give you a stronger figure, whilst still looking good if you decide to remain female (besides feeling great). Otherwise, loose clothes are your friend. Good luck with it.

Edit: Beaten to it with the gym thing. Ah well, I second the idea. It's painful, but worth it. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Octohedral
Personally I would stay away from make-up. It's fine to experiment, of course, but in my experience people are very good at discerning when someone doesn't quite look right, and this will be exacerbated if they see make-up on the face of someone they believe to be male. Just an opinion though :smile:

Other than that, the advice on this thread seems good. Have you thought about lifting weights? It may tone down some of your curves and give you a stronger figure, whilst still looking good if you decide to remain female (besides feeling great). Otherwise, loose clothes are your friend. Good luck with it.

So I have been told. As said I'll have a go but I doubt it'll work. Worth a shot just for the experience though, I can always take it straight off.

And yes the advice is very good - and the suggestion to tone up is a good one. I'm just so lazy. Even though it's a good idea for anyone, cross-dresser or not. We have some weights around and it's possible to tone one's sides just with appropriate calisthenics and so forth, so I have the equipment... no idea where the weights actually went though, whoops. Whatever.

Considering I'm very slight I have quite broad shoulders, in comparison, which helps.
I'd like for you to take a hint, please, and stop asking questions when I've clearly been avoiding a direct answer. My reasons are irrelevant and will clutter this thread, not to mention that wanting to pass for male might not immediately make me male. Why should it?

So you are transgender. Particularly looking at parts of your other posts, such as 'I'm aware I'll pass for a pre-teen boy at best, but I'm hoping people will get the message'. Why can't you just admit it?

Anyway, as for clothes - long sleeved shirt would do well, possibly with a jacket. Baggy trousers. Short hair and maybe build your upper body a bit more (so it takes away from the wide hips).
Reply 31
So you are transgender. Particularly looking at parts of your other posts, such as 'I'm aware I'll pass for a pre-teen boy at best, but I'm hoping people will get the message'. Why can't you just admit it?

Anyway, as for clothes - long sleeved shirt would do well, possibly with a jacket. Baggy trousers. Short hair and maybe build your upper body a bit more (so it takes away from the wide hips).

Because it's none of your business who and what I am? I've been trying not to be rude but you're very pushy and inconsiderate.

Also how does that post make me transgender? It means I want to look like a boy.
Reply 32
So I have been told! I just love my trilby. I think the straight trousers are a good idea, but again, five foot two. I'd be swamped by male gear and female gear is always tailored to show off the hips to differentiate from male suits. Thanks for the help!

Could you look at boys' clothes? They may be more likely to fit you. Idk how nice the stuff can be but there must be something out there.
Reply 33
Original post by ily_em
Could you look at boys' clothes? They may be more likely to fit you. Idk how nice the stuff can be but there must be something out there.

I did consider clothes for young'ns, but I'm not overly fond of the style. Like I said I found an adult male shirt that fits me, it's just a matter of knowing where to look. Thanks for the suggestion.
I didn't specify why I want to crossdress for a reason, why are people so nosy and unhelpful?

Because it's something that people don't "class" as normal and don't understand.

A lot of the time I find myself dressing in a more masculine way because that's how I feel most comfortable. Even though I do have barely no chest and have had a "straight up and down" figure all my life, my face is VERY feminine (large eyes, prominent eyebrows, full lips, long eyelashes), something I'm not too fond of. But instead of worrying about it, I've just acccepted that there's not much I can do about it (bar surgery) and that's that. It's pointless worrying about something that you can't change, though I realise that is a lot easier said than done.

I've recently stated that I want to be called by my middle name rather than my first - it suits me, my look, my character and personality much more, it's a name that was fairly popular with girls in the era that I cannot with that most, and I just prefer it to my birth name. Although my middle name is unisex (Lee), it is mainly seen on males and as a result I've had many people asking me if I'm transgender. I'm not. I was born as a girl and do feel like a girl, I just like dressing more manly. And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see the need to label myself, I don't have a sexuality and my gender is a somewhat difficult concept to explain, so "androgynous" is probably the word that describes how I feel most accurately.

What I have learnt is that although some people are completely fine with you being whoever you want to be (I have had some immense support from peers over the internet), there will always be some who find it hard to get to grips with it. As long as you're happy, comfortable and safe, that's all that matters in the long run.

(I have also realised that this post doesn't actually the question about clothes, sorry about that)
(edited 12 years ago)

Girl wants to look like a boy =/= transgender
Reply 36

Because it's nobody else's business whether the op is or not?
Reply 37
Have you tried Zara men for shirts? I know they are very slim fitted and obviously not shaped for the female body.
ASOS menswear goes down to xxs too I believe so that might fit you alright without being overly baggy and boyish.

If you wanna use makeup to contour your face there are a few tutorials on youtube, not sure if some of them might be too much for you as I've only used them for fancy dress but they slightly made my girly face look more masculine.
Reply 38
Original post by animalnitrate
Because it's something that people don't "class" as normal and don't understand.

A lot of the time I find myself dressing in a more masculine way because that's how I feel most comfortable. Even though I do have barely no chest and have had a "straight up and down" figure all my life, my face is VERY feminine (large eyes, prominent eyebrows, full lips, long eyelashes), something I'm not too fond of. But instead of worrying about it, I've just acccepted that there's not much I can do about it (bar surgery) and that's that. It's pointless worrying about something that you can't change, though I realise that is a lot easier said than done.

I've recently stated that I want to be called by my middle name rather than my first - it suits me, my look, my character and personality much more, it's a name that was fairly popular with girls in the era that I cannot with that most, and I just prefer it to my birth name. Although my middle name is unisex (Lee), it is mainly seen on males and as a result I've had many people asking me if I'm transgender. I'm not. I was born as a girl and do feel like a girl, I just like dressing more manly. And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see the need to label myself, I don't have a sexuality and my gender is a somewhat difficult concept to explain, so "androgynous" is probably the word that describes how I feel most accurately.

What I have learnt is that although some people are completely fine with you being whoever you want to be (I have had some immense support from peers over the internet), there will always be some who find it hard to get to grips with it. As long as you're happy, comfortable and safe, that's all that matters in the long run.

(I have also realised that this post doesn't actually the question about clothes, sorry about that)

I'm a little like you, with the whole 'I'm not sure but androgynous will do' thing - after all it doesn't really matter what I call myself as long as I'm happy, and I am. I'd like the option of being read male and just dressing as one, if I feel like it.

And no worries I've already had plenty of help. I'm aware trans* folk get a lot of flak, and people automatically assume non-gender-binary female = transman. I'm a male woman, I'm neither or both and I change how I wish to identify. I'm fine with my body, I'm lucky to have a good figure without cumbersome chest-articles getting in my way - but how I express myself, I'd like to vary that.

So you and I're similar there.

EDIT: You can see how people lack understanding - I have four negs just for asking how to dress as a man!
(edited 12 years ago)

I think it sounds like the OP might be genderqueer, which is a bit different to transgenderism - read up about it.

Quick Reply

Latest