The Student Room Group

Vomiting after drinking fluids.

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a health problem I've been dealing for years, and if anyone has experienced this themselves.

Ever since I was 12 years old, I've had an issue upon where I will drink something, such as water, or juice, and almost immediately throw it back up. It's a really unpleasant thing and I'm not sure why it happens.

If I eat something, then I'm absolutely fine, but when I take a first sip of a drink of water or juice, I can see me throw it back up.

I've tried to do some research on this, and searched high and low and can't find anything that refers to what's happening to me, so I wanted to know if any of you have ever had experiences with this kind of thing, and if so, can you give me advice as to what it is, and what I can do about it?

Reply 1
...How're you not dead?
Reply 2
Original post by Schemilix
...How're you not dead?

If I take small sips and gradually go from there, then I seem to have a lesser chance of throwing up.
Is it just water and juice that does this then? Have you survive on fizzy drinks all these years or something?
Reply 4
Original post by StefanieLouise
Is it just water and juice that does this then? Have you survive on fizzy drinks all these years or something?

It's any type of fluid really. If I drink something in small sips at first and then gradually work from there, then I can drink without a problem. But if I don't take small sips at first, this is when I generally vomit. I hope this makes sense?
Original post by Greyrob
It's any type of fluid really. If I drink something in small sips at first and then gradually work from there, then I can drink without a problem. But if I don't take small sips at first, this is when I generally vomit. I hope this makes sense?

Have you ever been to a doctor? I'm just an arts student, but I think anyone could point out that's not normal.
Reply 6
Original post by StefanieLouise
Have you ever been to a doctor? I'm just an arts student, but I think anyone could point out that's not normal.

I haven't, as stupidly I used to think "well it's happened for years, so I can deal" :s. But the more I get older and wiser, I'm thinking it's definitely worth a trip to the doctors.
Reply 7
Its only happened to me when I've had some kind of bug. Get checked out.
Reply 8
Original post by Greyrob
I haven't, as stupidly I used to think "well it's happened for years, so I can deal" :s. But the more I get older and wiser, I'm thinking it's definitely worth a trip to the doctors.

That's something you should have immediately gone to the doctors for. GO NOW! (I'm not saying it's serious, but it's definitely not normal)
Reply 9
I know this was years ago and this is a long shot but I’m the same. I’ve had this for years and done nothing about it, just like you, as just dealt with it as a kid but the older I’ve got, the more I’ve realised how abnormal it is. Did you find anything out?

Quick Reply

Latest