The Student Room Group

Admiral are awful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm in the middle of finding an insurance company for my scooter, but for every insurer I've found a horror story. :frown: I hate how lovely the adverts make everything seem.
ever thought of getting a 125cc bike on your 17th after doing your CBT? I was quoted £1,100 for a yamaha yzf. My plan was to get that, take my test before jan 2013 stupid law changes. Trade in my 125cc yamaha then get a bad boy suzuki gsxr or cbr600cc or yzf 600cc.
Original post by Bezaberry
How old are you and where do you live? I'm 22 and live in the country.

17 > london (streatham quite south london )
Reply 23
Original post by oo00oo
First off, they aren't "increasing your premium" when you choose to pay monthly. When you pay monthly, they loan you the full amount and expect you to pay it back, plus interest.

The interest rates are generated based on the same factors that any finance company/bank would use to generate your interest rates. Factors such as age, employment status, credit history, position on electoral role, etc. So it could well be that, being so young, you have a poor or non-existent credit history, you'll probably have a poor employment status, and may not even be on the electoral role, hence your high interest rates upon borrowing.

As for the other thing about your dad's accident... well, yes, that is a bit ridiculous. But why are you adding him as a named driver if it's going to increase your premium so much? If your dad has his own car (and is fully comp) then he probably (although not definitely) has third party cover to drive any other insured vehicle, so if he needs to drive your car he can do it under that.

If you're wanting to put on a named driver with more experience to reduce your premium, just picks somebody else who hasn't been involved in an accident and preferably is female - to get the fanny discount.

I'm 22 not 17, so I do have a decent credit history. And, yes he can, but having him on there lowered my premium by £400 to begin with, they then increased it back to £400+ once hearing about his non fault claim. They also did this after keeping us on hold for 10 minutes, so we just hung up. Ended up going with Aviva, they're offering the same at £1500 a year, which is £100 more than Admiral's original quote before the non fault, but they didn't penalise his non fault. And it was hassle free.
Reply 24
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
ever thought of getting a 125cc bike on your 17th after doing your CBT? I was quoted £1,100 for a yamaha yzf. My plan was to get that, take my test before jan 2013 stupid law changes. Trade in my 125cc yamaha then get a bad boy suzuki gsxr or cbr600cc or yzf 600cc.

Again, haha I'm 22, I should have explained this in the OP. And I'm not a big fan of bikes tbh, ****ty roads where I live.
Reply 25
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
17 > london (streatham quite south london )

That explains it then! I was getting £6000 quotes when I was living in Luton at age 20. :frown:
they've been nothing but helpful to me and very very reasonably priced... plus i love their cute welsh accents when they ring me up, brightens up the phonecalls!
Original post by Luna.
I'm in the middle of finding an insurance company for my scooter, but for every insurer I've found a horror story. :frown: I hate how lovely the adverts make everything seem.

you're always going to get more people complaining online than singing praises... people are more likely to complain than to compliment.. about a TV show, company, product etc.

you're going to have to choose somebody in the end, complaints are usually in the minority... though obviously sometimes they aren't.
Original post by Bellissima
they've been nothing but helpful to me and very very reasonably priced... plus i love their cute welsh accents when they ring me up, brightens up the phonecalls!

Same! Although not the accents as I live in Wales anyway haha.

I'm with Admiral multi-car and it's my first car, my insurance is only £526 including breakdown cover. My sister is also on the multi-car policy and bought a 206 last October for £1395 and then crashed and wrote it off a few weeks ago. Admiral offered £300 at first but after a quick phone call from my dad they gave her £900 after taking off the £500 excess which is a good amount I'd say! She also received the cheque for it within a few days and shes now got another 206 for £1100:smile:

My parents have been with Elephant for years (they are still with Elephant even though me and my sister are on the multi-car policy with them) and we've never had any hassle with them:smile:
Reply 29
I'm 22 not 17, so I do have a decent credit history.

Maybe so, but not all companies use the same scoring techniques and the same criteria. You can have a great credit history for one but not for another ... and nobody can really ever tell which companies use which scoring criteria.

The rates with insurance companies are always ridiculous though, and if you can't afford to pay your insurance in a lump sum it's almost always cheaper to take out a bank loan, dip into your overdraft or get it on a credit card and pay it monthly to the bank - will still cost more than your original lump sum premium, but usually considerably less than getting a finance package from the insurer themselves.

And, yes he can, but having him on there lowered my premium by £400 to begin with, they then increased it back to £400+ once hearing about his non fault claim. They also did this after keeping us on hold for 10 minutes, so we just hung up. Ended up going with Aviva, they're offering the same at £1500 a year, which is £100 more than Admiral's original quote before the non fault, but they didn't penalise his non fault. And it was hassle free.

Fair enough. I'm 22 as well, male, and drive a 1.6L Focus - I'm the only driver on the policy and only have 1 years ncb (first 2 years of driving were as a named driver not earning ncb). However, in my case, admiral have always been the best deal, always offering premiums less than £1,000, and I've never had a quote anywhere near that price from Aviva or anybody else.

I've never had to claim, so have no idea what they're like to deal with when going through the claims process, but I hope I never have to.
Reply 30
Original post by oo00oo
Maybe so, but not all companies use the same scoring techniques and the same criteria. You can have a great credit history for one but not for another ... and nobody can really ever tell which companies use which scoring criteria.

The rates with insurance companies are always ridiculous though, and if you can't afford to pay your insurance in a lump sum it's almost always cheaper to take out a bank loan, dip into your overdraft or get it on a credit card and pay it monthly to the bank - will still cost more than your original lump sum premium, but usually considerably less than getting a finance package from the insurer themselves.

Fair enough. I'm 22 as well, male, and drive a 1.6L Focus - I'm the only driver on the policy and only have 1 years ncb (first 2 years of driving were as a named driver not earning ncb). However, in my case, admiral have always been the best deal, always offering premiums less than £1,000, and I've never had a quote anywhere near that price from Aviva or anybody else.

I've never had to claim, so have no idea what they're like to deal with when going through the claims process, but I hope I never have to.

Aye, did pay the lump sum in the end so it worked out for the best, yeah they did offer me the lowest price, and they will do when I have a NCB. Dad wouldn't make me named driver because my older brother wrecked his car at the time 2 days after passing his test. Bit unfair to tar me with the same brush, but I can see his reasoning!

Aye most of the bad reviews I have seem for them have been people who have claimed, had nightmares having to deal with them unless the other person is also insured by Admiral/Diamond etc etc. Also I saw one where they added £150 to his premium because he moved 200 metres down the road. >.<
Original post by silent ninja
Insurance companies do absolutely everything to increase your premium. Unfortunately if somebody rams your car, your insurance will also go up as you are now deemed higher risk statistically.

Insurance charges have rocketed in the last 3 years. Every company has their excuse (Direct Line hiked their prices and blamed the winter snow for example) but we all know the truth is these companies were heavily invested in dodgy shares and toxic assets in collusion with the big banks. Where else do you think they invested those huge pots of cash? So yep, social losses, private gains.

That would all be very valid if it wasn't for the absolute fact that currently more is paid out by car insurers than they take in premiums. So we should all count ourselves lucky they are doing it at a loss.
Original post by walterwhite123
That would all be very valid if it wasn't for the absolute fact that currently more is paid out by car insurers than they take in premiums. So we should all count ourselves lucky they are doing it at a loss.

Source?
Hello!

Hastings are really really good. Im 20 and ive just been sent my renewal price of £403 in one go or £460 (monthly). Thats fully comp and im the main driver as well with only a £95 compulsory excess.

It was £710ish last year (when i paid monthly).

Ive been driving since i was 17 though. Theyre worth a call anyway!
Reply 34
Aye, did pay the lump sum in the end so it worked out for the best, yeah they did offer me the lowest price, and they will do when I have a NCB. Dad wouldn't make me named driver because my older brother wrecked his car at the time 2 days after passing his test. Bit unfair to tar me with the same brush, but I can see his reasoning!

Aye most of the bad reviews I have seem for them have been people who have claimed, had nightmares having to deal with them unless the other person is also insured by Admiral/Diamond etc etc. Also I saw one where they added £150 to his premium because he moved 200 metres down the road. >.<

Swings and roundabouts though - I got a £25 refund for moving to a flat a few streets away from my old one.
I got a quote of £1460 which is reasonable considering the car is a 1.6 and I've only been passed a month. But when I stated I wanted to pay monthly they said the price would increase to £2290. They said it was because I would lose a "discount" said discount was never mentioned at all in the original quote, I understand that paying monthly will increase your premium, normally by about £150-£200. But not by £800. At this point my dad said he would pay the upfront £1460 and I pay him back monthly instead, problem solved, or so I thought, they then said they were increasing the premium to £1800 as he was a named driver and he had and accident, this accident was a woman driving into his car when it was parked and smashing his wing mirror off, which was covered by the other driver's insurance company, and he nor his insurance company paid for anything. Why should my premium, or his for that matter, rise because someone else can't look where they are going, this whole business has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Has anyone else had problems with Admiral before?

Elephant did the exact same thing to me, they're all money grabbing b*****s.
All companies will charge you more if your dad's had an accident, and they'll mostly all charge you more for paying monthly. Regardless of fault, having been in an incident increases your risks in the eyes of all providers unfortunately.

I've had an amazing experience of admiral. I've been with them for 2 years. I had a crash last year and they were blisteringly fast at sorting it all and paid out within a week. It's by far the cheapest provider I've found also, with their multi car discount.
Reply 38
I got a quote of £1460 which is reasonable considering the car is a 1.6 and I've only been passed a month. But when I stated I wanted to pay monthly they said the price would increase to £2290. They said it was because I would lose a "discount" said discount was never mentioned at all in the original quote, I understand that paying monthly will increase your premium, normally by about £150-£200. But not by £800. At this point my dad said he would pay the upfront £1460 and I pay him back monthly instead, problem solved, or so I thought, they then said they were increasing the premium to £1800 as he was a named driver and he had and accident, this accident was a woman driving into his car when it was parked and smashing his wing mirror off, which was covered by the other driver's insurance company, and he nor his insurance company paid for anything. Why should my premium, or his for that matter, rise because someone else can't look where they are going, this whole business has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Has anyone else had problems with Admiral before?

I use admiral because they have always quoted me far lower insurance than any other company, but you are right about the monthly repayments. For me they would add about 50% onto the premium. So I have to pay for the whole year upfront.
Reply 39
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
*saves snoop dogg signature image to computer*

O.O''

I don't get it :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest