The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iSMark
10,000 beginners? why would you choose that? because it suits your argument?

Lol uh...yes. Do you not realize that if my example is true then your statement cannot be true. Funny thing...thats how examples and logic and life work. So...no the amount of people does not make something more competitive.

10,000 of the population, all of random abilities. VS. 1 person of the population of a random ability.

If your competing against 10,000 people you're more likely to come across someone who is gifted in that field.

If you compete against 1 person you're less likely to come across a gifted person than when against 10,000.

Got it yet?

LOL again you already proved my point what made it more competitive was the level of the person(s) that you are competing against. The numbers, if random may change the chances but still the important part is the skill level of your opponent(s) not the number of them. Thank you for proving me right. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Except in gymnastics you do compete against your team-mates. You compete both as individuals and as a team at the same time. That's how the sport works. :s-smilie:

surely then they really aren't your team-mates?

In a way, I get that you are as "team" given your individual performance will score points for the entire team as well as points for yourself, but surely you might as well say you are competing individually?
Just going to point out that at least here in the US many gyms, for girls especially, require the gymnasts to be home schooled so they can spend more time in the gym practicing. It can be closer to 7 or 8 hours a day. And during the summer, or when there isn't school, that is the norm.
Reply 63

LOL again you already proved my point what made it more competitive was the level of the person(s) that you are competing against. The numbers, if random may change the chances but still the important part is the skill level of your opponent(s) not the number of them. Thank you for proving me right. :biggrin:

This is incorrect.

Ok another simple example for you.

Say 1 in every 1000 football players is 'gifted'. The more people who play football = the more gifted footballers discovered.

I believe that there are plenty of people out there who would make excellent gymnasts, but aren't gymnasts purely down to the interest in the sport, and they don't actually know it due to never trying it/liking it.
Reply 64
Yes.
Original post by S-man10
surely then they really aren't your team-mates?

In a way, I get that you are as "team" given your individual performance will score points for the entire team as well as points for yourself, but surely you might as well say you are competing individually?

No you are in fact a team. You train, compete, and essentially live together. While you are competing individually there are also team competitions going on and you have to work together and get the best combinations of scores as possible. It's a rather complicated dynamic but it is both individualized and a team sport simultaneously.
Reply 66
Just going to point out that at least here in the US many gyms, for girls especially, require the gymnasts to be home schooled so they can spend more time in the gym practicing. It can be closer to 7 or 8 hours a day. And during the summer, or when there isn't school, that is the norm.

Oh right, you're from the US as well, that would explain it.
Original post by iSMark
This is incorrect.

Ok another simple example for you.

Say 1 in every 1000 football players is 'gifted'. The more people who play football = the more gifted footballers discovered.

This has nothing to do with competitiveness...this is talking about being 'discovered'...:s-smilie: and again the important part isn't the numbers but the actual trait of being 'gifted'. This isn't that complicated.

I believe that there are plenty of people out there who would make excellent gymnasts, but aren't gymnasts purely down to the interest in the sport, and they don't actually know it due to never trying it/liking it.

Where do you get that idea from? To be a gymnast at a competitive level requires a lot more than interest. Just as other sports require more than interest. Not to mention that finding a 'gifted' gymnast is a rarity.
Original post by iSMark
Oh right, you're from the US as well, that would explain it.

Lol and somehow that makes me less knowledgeable on the topic? Even though I essentially lived in the gym till I was 18? :s-smilie: Not too mention that your attempts at logic are utterly preposterous and you can't even stick to competitiveness. You keep switching between being recruited and how competitive the sport is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Sure it's incorrect but you guys don't even call it football most of the time. You call a game where you handle the ball a lot of the time 'football'.

I don't care about winning you guys over, I've made my point, I've been proven right and now I'm retiring, whilst I'm winning. Good Night.
Reply 70
No you are in fact a team. You train, compete, and essentially live together. While you are competing individually there are also team competitions going on and you have to work together and get the best combinations of scores as possible. It's a rather complicated dynamic but it is both individualized and a team sport simultaneously.

I might have explained it ineffectively, but what you both say was what I basically meant.

Likewise, I could say it is the same for a footballer. He or she competes in a team playing a certain role. The team's objectives is to score more goals than the other team, i.e. score more than the other club. Therefore he is now part of a team.

Now he is also playing individually for himself. He has to make sure he completes his positional objective in the best way possible otherwise he might lose his place to the next guy, therefore he is also competing with his team-mates.

Looking at it this way, it would be moot to say that gymnastics simultaneously is a team sport plus individual sport.
Original post by iSMark
Sure it's incorrect but you guys don't even call it football most of the time. You call a game where you handle the ball a lot of the time 'football'.

I don't care about winning you guys over, I've made my point, I've been proven right and now I'm retiring, whilst I'm winning. Good Night.

Who exactly proved you right? :confused:
Original post by S-man10
I might have explained it ineffectively, but what you both say was what I basically meant.

Likewise, I could say it is the same for a footballer. He or she competes in a team playing a certain role. The team's objectives is to score more goals than the other team, i.e. score more than the other club. Therefore he is now part of a team.

Now he is also playing individually for himself. He has to make sure he completes his positional objective in the best way possible otherwise he might lose his place to the next guy, therefore he is also competing with his team-mates.

Looking at it this way, it would be moot to say that gymnastics simultaneously is a team sport plus individual sport.

That's not quite how that is...he/she has to play his position the best he can so the team can perform the best it can. However he isn't competing against everyone else or even his teammates but rather performing his best to get the best results for his/her team. As a football player you are supposed to make the team the only important thing. Whereas in gymnastics you have both your individual awards that is actually against your teammates and everyone else in the sport and then the team aspect where you also have to encourage and push your teammates to perform and compete their best so your team can win as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 99luft Balons
So do gymnasts.They require tremendous strength—both upper body and core—as well as split second timing at the higher levels.

+1

Football is a spectator sport,it is more enjoyable to watch :smile:

Original post by sarah124
You guys obviously do not have a clue about gymnastics.Gymnastics carries a huge mental burden on athletes. The goal of the sport is perfections. Every routine an athlete steps into they are trying their best to not make a mistake. If they make a big mistake or a small mistake there is no reset button the routine must go on,it could also lead to serious injuries such as being paralyzed.

I swear they practice for like a endless hours a week, and even if they don’t, it must feel like it. Gymnastics requires, sickening balance, mental toughness, body control, and even a bit of speed to get to that vault.

The wipe outs in gymnastics look painful as hell, and never mind the fact that the injuries are some of the worst in sports. I have personally watched 3 athletes blow their achillies tendons and I don’t watch it that much.

Generally, gymnasts are short, but incredibly strong and quite young while competing at an international level. I would think that this amount of training would be incredibly stressful on them as they have been training from the time they could walk. Also, they don’t have as long careers as footballers.

Most of the population of the world could not even do one practice of what people in gymnastics go through.

I wasn't talking about mental burden or pressure although you could easily argue their is more of that for a top footballer considering today's media and how fanatic fans are.

I was talking about the mental ability to process information on the fly and react in a split second. Gymnastics is composed of closed skills, the routine you do in practice is the same as the one you do in competition with no variables besides added pressure which exists in every sport. Every second a footballer is on the pitch is unique and he must mentally process each situation accordingly before reacting, that's why I said it's harder mentally. This isn't really debatable, it's just facts.
To me the difficulty of reaching a sport depends on a mixture of the popularity of the sport and the incentive (Financial or otherwise) to get to that level.

Football is widely played with huge financial incentives at the top level. Ergo it is one of the hardest sports. Curling is as a counter example is barely played with little financial incentive. So I'd say it's an easier sport.

Yes there are exceptions but generally you won't go wrong.
Reply 75
I bet most gymnasts are better at football than footballers are at gymnastics!
Reply 76
I'd say professional boxing and olympic wrestling are 100x harder than both anyway
i agree on this and i have proof because just this Sunday i sprained my ankle and i continued and then went back on Tuesday doing fault and beam possibly making it worse but i continued because being a gymnast requires being strong and getting back up when you fail even if it hurts
i am a gymnast to and will have to say gymnastics is harder than football
Reply 79
This is a 2012 thread and has now vaulted off into distance.

Thread dismounted.

Latest