The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, in my most humble opinion. :smile:
Reply 2
If you read Freud, you'll be both fascinated and mildly amused.
Reply 3
Nadine86
Do dreams really have a significance?? Does dream analysis work?? what are key factors when analysing a dream??

There was a thread on this a while back. If you are analysing a dream, do not get one of those stupid 'dictionary of dream symbols' books. My sister did that once, and soon became obssessed with the idea tha because she dreames such-and-such, such-and-such terrible thing was going to happen.
all dreams av a meaning. however menaings vary from person to person. by knowing the basic symbolic meanings and avin an understanding u can work to interptertting ur own dreams.

my mum is into dream interpreation and i interpret my dreams throughout the day. im very good at remembering my dreams now.

for example my mate had a dream his ex girlfriend offered him a sandwich and he took it, however her two mates who both like him offered him ones he did not like or take. in real life this could signify that he only wants wot his ex as to offer and nothin else
Reply 5
Or maybe your mate wasn't that hungry?

The only thing I find interesting concerning dreams is lucid dreaming. Where you are aware that you are dreaming and can control it and go flying and stuff.
r316

amused? i only wonder what his childhood must have been like for him to come up with his theories.
piginapoke
Aren't dreams associated with your memory consolidating thoughts you've had during the day?

I'm pretty sure you can dictate your dreams by thinking about something really hard before you go to sleep; however you only remember the last dream you were having before you woke up, the several ones you had during the night are forgotten.

in a way. its a recycle bin which destroys days events, creates solutions to problems you may havem the unconcious passes through it and mumbo jumbo gets thrown out. its takes interpreation to relaise messages given which addmittedly most of the time is useless. sometimes however it can giv a person a gr8 deal of advice, its liek ur unconcious guiding and helpin u
Gimp
Or maybe your mate wasn't that hungry?

The only thing I find interesting concerning dreams is lucid dreaming. Where you are aware that you are dreaming and can control it and go flying and stuff.
ooh i lve lucid dreamin!
Reply 9
What does a dream about springs, pendulums and simple harmonic motion mean.....or am i doing too much physics??

G
Reply 10
explain this...when i was 12 i had a dream that my English teacher was going to marry my (married) father...the two of them had NEVER met...6 years later, my parents are divorced and my father is happily remarried to my ex-English teacher. Go figure.
Reply 11
Coincidence! Heard a thing on the radio yesterday about coincidences.

Some maths prof from Warwick worked out that everyone will observe something like three massive coincidences in their life, even with extraordinary odds. Something like 1000000 to 1 odds of something happening, 4000 events occur in a day, so eventually an amazing coincidence will occur. My memory sucks.
grace
explain this...when i was 12 i had a dream that my English teacher was going to marry my (married) father...the two of them had NEVER met...6 years later, my parents are divorced and my father is happily remarried to my ex-English teacher. Go figure.

premonition.

and whoever it was... TOO MUCH PHYSICS!! hehe
Reply 13
lumpycustard
premonition.

i thought it was too, but then that all sounds a bit weird? :eek: It's happened before with lots of little things, i just think that one is the most undenyable. Then again, last night i dreamed that my best friend and i were bitten by a rabid dog, so hopefully you can't trust dreams too much! lol
Reply 14
so none of u think that one can figure out stuff from dreams?? anything that u dremt of, and it happened is just a coincidence?? there is no symbolic meaning to things in dreams??
Reply 15
Nadine86
so none of u think that one can figure out stuff from dreams?? anything that u dremt of, and it happened is just a coincidence?? there is no symbolic meaning to things in dreams??

There often is meaning to dreams, just don't read too much into them.
Cate
There often is meaning to dreams, just don't read too much into them.

only peeps interested in them (like me) i use them to help me make decisions a lot too, which helps
r316

I hate freud. I despise everything he has written, and think that he was merely displacing his own problems onto other people...
But aside from that vent, yes, dreams can be significant.
But a dream with true significance cannot be analysed through freudian methods, and certainly not with any of these online analysises i've seen.
Theres this method i have been using on occasion, for no particular reason though, that does seem to work. But... it is rather stupid really.

Lucid dreams are freaky. I've had lots of them, and... well, there is an interesting story i have about them, but.... well, its probably only interesting to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending