The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Failed my first test with one "major" and two minors. I thought it had gone well, didn't even realise my mistake was that bad. Examiner was a complete d*** about it too, laughed at my driving when he could see I was on the verge of tears! Needless to say he absolutely shattered my confidence, gutted.

Got my second test tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed!
Original post by emilie18
Failed my first test with one "major" and two minors. I thought it had gone well, didn't even realise my mistake was that bad. Examiner was a complete d*** about it too, laughed at my driving when he could see I was on the verge of tears! Needless to say he absolutely shattered my confidence, gutted. Got my second test tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed!

When did you fail your first test and what was the major?

PS- Good luck for tomorrow:smile:

Do not let your low morale dictate the outcome of your next test. Be positive, reassure yourself, be confident, be controlling, and most importantly relax. It's not the end of the world if you fail again because you can go for as many tests as you like.
Reply 142
Seriously this thread is so depressing, everyone talking about there failures ;/ and from what I have read some examiners are quite subjective when choosing majors.

I'm just saying this as I got my test on 9th of June, driving automatic only. So let's hope this goes well for the 2nd time. :smile:
Original post by pinda.college
When did you fail your first test and what was the major?

PS- Good luck for tomorrow:smile:

Do not let your low morale dictate the outcome of your next test. Be positive, reassure yourself, be confident, be controlling, and most importantly relax. It's not the end of the world if you fail again because you can go for as many tests as you like.

My major on my first test was that as I came off a roundabout someone was about to undertake me and I didn't see them in time. I didn't have to brake or anything which is why I didn't see it as serious. :-(

Thank you for the advice and good luck - it worked, I just passed!!!!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck to anyone else re-taking!
Failed the first, here's my summary:

Wasn't particularly nervous as I am confident in my ability to drive.
Failed right at the end turning into a left junction with cars parked very close to the mouth of the junction, there was also an oncoming car on the other side so as I was braking, the examiner finished off the braking, fearing I would hit the parked car. The error on that was apparently due to oversteering - bizarre considering that's never been an issue in lessons.

Such a shame because the route wasn't particularly hard, nor was it particularly busy.
Hi there,

In my opinion I would say even if you are incredibly nervous on the day, try to act confident and correct any mistakes you do make, and never give up.

Reading some of the things on here about why people fail, I think I was very lucky to pass, but I think what helped me pass is that when I stalled each time I put the car into neutral, and started it again and stayed calm so I was in control of the car.

I would reccomend having the instructor there for the debrief, when they tell you your result, and if they don't ask you, tell your instructor there in advance, or tell the examiner, that way I think they are more likely to justify where you went wrong in terms of your minors.

Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by medic86
Seriously this thread is so depressing, everyone talking about there failures ;/ and from what I have read some examiners are quite subjective when choosing majors.

I'm just saying this as I got my test on 9th of June, driving automatic only. So let's hope this goes well for the 2nd time. :smile:

Good luck! xxxx
Booked my fourth- and hopefully, final- test for late July. It's getting to the point now where I've become utterly dejected and just want to get it over with.
Reply 148
Oh well, thought I'm going to bring good news today but I guess not. This is my 2nd time having the driving test at SALE, manchester and Guess what I FAILED :frown:! The examiner said to me, you were driving 20-25 mph when the road is 30mph. He marked me more than 5 minors for appropriate speed (which was slow in my case), and thus failed me.

Can't believe driving a bit slow a SERIOUS mistake, well I have done all the manouvers, my I stretched my neck like a goofy to demonstrate my checking on all 3 mirrors, yet that didn't pass me... Even though I drive back home for 9 years now, never been in an accident, at all., but here we are.

Now I booked my test for the 3rd time, but that would be in West Didsbury, which is around mid of July, I'm really really gutted from this unfairness.. :frown:

Sorry if ranted all over your heads, but good luck in your practical tests xxx.
Reply 149
Original post by medic86
Can't believe driving a bit slow a SERIOUS mistake

Not reaching the speed limit 5 times in 35 minutes is either poor observation, poor car control, or lack of confidence, which can all be dangerous. If you have been driving for nine years, you should be able to reach and sustain a steady 30mph. In fact it's slightly concerning that you can't.
Reply 150
Original post by TanyaZoexx
Good luck! xxxx

Thanks, Tanya, I guess Let's hope for the next time! xxx :smile:
Reply 151
Original post by FXX
Not reaching the speed limit 5 times in 35 minutes is either poor observation, poor car control, or lack of confidence, which can all be dangerous. If you have been driving for nine years, you should be able to reach and sustain a steady 30mph. In fact it's slightly concerning that you can't.

Well, I hold my hands up here, Sale has narrow roads, when you got cars parked on the road, and you need to take over the other side, if you know what I mean, i will obviously need to slow down to 25mph. Well anyways let's hope what happens in the next test. :smile: In my case, it's a bit odd that I have been driving slowly, although my instructor was always wanting me to watch out speed limits, i guess it might been poor observation, whilst looking at the cars parked on a narrow road. :smile:
Reply 152
Just changed my booking to 25th of June.. a bit earlier than mid of July.. I getting so concerned about this ;/ but, I'm quite confident, gonna pass this time :smile:

Anyone done the test at Failsworth?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by medic86
Just changed my booking to 25th of June.. a bit earlier than mid of July.. I getting so concerned about this ;/ but, I'm quite confident, gonna pass this time :smile:

Anyone done the test at Failsworth?

I didn't take my test in Failsworth [I took it up in Durham instead], but I had lessons in the area. I'd definitely recommend having some lessons there before hand. Some of the roads near the test centre are very narrow and there are lots of parked cars.

Good luck with it. :smile:
Original post by TheAshman
its really hard to prepare yourself for a test as you might prepare for something that doesnt even arise in a test

when i did mine about 12 months ago ( trust me i struggled to pass) i sat my instructor in the back, just so whenever i looked in my centre mirror i could see him in the back and kinda calmed me down

i was the most nervous person ever when it came to tests, starting from walking up to the wrong car and trying to open it in my 1st test, to driving in the wrong lane in the 2nd ( somehow thought i was on a dual carriageway LOL)...nerves can play some horrible games wit your mind, but for some people they will always be there

just think to yourself, no matter how many attempts it takes me to pass, il be on the same level when it comes to owning a license as jo bloggs driving next to me

driving lessons are one hell of an adventure , especially if you suffer from nerves when it comes to your test

also if you feel you arent comfortable with the area you take the test in, tell your instructor to give you a few lessons in different areas and see if you feel comfortbale

but good luck.,.... i know how hard it can be to get a license...but you can do it :smile:

Thanks for that, I've had a bit of a break since my test, will be starting lessons from this Wednesday. Booked my test for 11th July.

I always feel nervous before lessons because I want it to go well and not make a mistake, so yeah they did feel like an adventure (though not in the good sense). I have been feeling like I don't want to drive anymore, but these past few days at home are making me feel it would benefit everyone in my family if I had. As we rely on my brother to drive us to places such as visiting relatives and I don't think its fair to rely on him to much. So this is a slight motivation, it's just failing means that I'm not a safe driver and after a year I would have thought I'd have improved so I guess I need to use this knowledge positively and not let it get me down.

Yeah I would like to change the area, but I've been driving in the same area as my test centre for months now and I think I've gotten used to it and I don't think it's cos of the area that I failed.

Thank you for your kind words though they really helped.
Reply 155
Original post by affinity89
I didn't take my test in Failsworth [I took it up in Durham instead], but I had lessons in the area. I'd definitely recommend having some lessons there before hand. Some of the roads near the test centre are very narrow and there are lots of parked cars.

Good luck with it. :smile:

Yeah, I'm going ask my instructor to go over the test routes and have a go with them. Having said that, when I told my instructor I have chosen Failsworth, he mentioned to me you better off to West Didsbury or Cheetham Hill as their roads are better.

Oh well after all it's FAILSworth. so you gonna expect anything? Won't you... :smile:

I passed on my 7th time, I know how it feels to want to give up, but please carry on and you WILL pass!
I honestly was about to give up if I didn't pass my 7th test, and when the examiner said I passed I was in shock for the whole day! But it is an amazing feeling to know that you never have to take a test again and can drive on your own :biggrin:

I used to read posts like this one and think "i'm never going to pass!" or "i've failed the last 6 tests so it is unlikely i'm going to pass the 7th" but you never know :smile: Seriously, you can all do it and don't worry about what other people say (i've had a fair few comments and jokes because i've failed so many times, it must mean i'm a bad driver :rolleyes:), because if you can pass your test, it means you ARE a good driver.

I just wanted to use myself as an example to people who have failed a few times and feel like they'll never pass, that it is possible! A big mistake that I did was the more times I failed, the more my confidence in passing the test went down, which made me go into the test thinking i'll probably fail. But my last test I just kept telling myself I can do this and I have to pass this.

Sorry i've gone into a bit of a ramble, but you get my point! If anyone wants to talk about it more with me feel free!
Good luck with your tests :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Failed my 1st test, got 1 serious for attempting to go right at a crossroads without stopping for oncoming traffic.
Then stalled in the middle as I noticed my mistake- I had to tell myself to breath out loud- felt so stupid.. but will never make that mistake again!

I felt so calm and relaxed until I met the examiner, then the nerves hit me really fast as soon as I started driving. I only got 3 minors, which was better than I expected!

As soon as the examiner went and my instructor got in the car- I cried. It's terrible everyone told me they expected me to pass, but to be honest I don't think I believed in myself- So weirdly I feel a bit more confident now, seeing my driving marked down. As I know where I need to improve.

I know I can pass really easily now if i could book another.
But I'm going to India for 10 weeks over the summer and can't get a test before I go- so will have taken a step back by then.
Original post by pbsjohnz
paid for my licence, ahh the benefits of living in Africa

hahahaha i was too late... they stopped accepting license conversions from zim lol
Reply 159
Original post by Killuminati1989
hahahaha i was too late... they stopped accepting license conversions from zim lol

Dammit, I was thinking of changing mine for a UK one and getting a new one from Zim.. oh well. lol

Latest

Trending

Trending