The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Met- really that horrible?

As I'm originally from another country I never really get the shudder that London Met seems to invoke in most people. My school's UCAS officer just went, "Oh no, dea, I don't care if you like the course, you're much bette than THAT."

What's so horrible about it? And yes, I know, it's the last in the league tables.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard that they're going to sell themselves out soon.

Disney Metropolitan Resort, London.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
No. Its worse. Much much worse. Don't say we didnt warn you if you go :hand:
It's not great, but it's not exactly the gulag.

TSR is populated with academic snobs, who turn their noses up at anyone who hasn't got at least 7 A*s at GCSE, A*AA at A-level and doesn't attend Oxbridge, Imperial or LSE.

It's not the best university in the world, but it is the largest university in the UK, covering the most ground. It doesn't have very high standards, but that might suit some people; not everyone is an academic genius.

It's not even the worst uni in London. University of East London is far inferior.
(edited 12 years ago)
I went on their website the other day and they'd not even bothered to fill it in properly...
Reply 5
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist

TSR is populated with academic snobs, who turn their noses up at anyone who hasn't got at least 7 A*s at GCSE, A*AA at A-level and doesn't attend Oxbridge, Imperial or LSE.

It's not the best university in the world, but it is part of the University of London, which means you're entitled to use the same facilities (library, etc.) as the likes of RHUL or Imperial or QMUL. It's also the largest university in the UK, covering the most ground. It doesn't have very high standards, but that might suit some people; not everyone is an academic genius.

It's not even the worst uni in London. University of East London is far inferior.

London Met and Imperial College are not part of the University of London.
Original post by jelly1000
London Met and Imperial College are not part of the University of London.

Ah, my mistake. I must have confused it with elsewhere
Reply 7
Original post by Lulamae
As I'm originally from another country I never really get the shudder that London Met seems to invoke in most people. My school's UCAS officer just went, "Oh no, dea, I don't care if you like the course, you're much bette than THAT."

What's so horrible about it? And yes, I know, it's the last in the league tables.

I've not got first hand experience of it but from my understanding the facilities aren't the best and some of the students don't have a good attitude towards uni- they are there because they didn't know what else to do and aren't really so interested in studying. It's probally best if you have a look for yourself though.
Reply 8
Ah, my mistake. I must have confused it with elsewhere

None of the uni of London colleges are ex poly, and Imperial used to be but became independant (deleted list as I realised I missed off loads and cant be bothered to write them all out)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
its where all the 'students' who couldnt get into any other universities are packed off to and contrary to what hollygreenathiest says i would compare it to a gulag, just with no work :rolleyes: well under half of their students are employed after half a year ... its just a place for people to kick back and do naff all whilst getting paid by her majestys government
And how many people on this thread go to London Met or personally know someone who does?
Original post by kevin6767
You missed out New College for the humanities.

It's not part of the University of London, it has the power to award external UoL degrees
None of the uni of London colleges are ex poly, and Imperial used to be but became independant so now its UCL, LSE, Kings, Queen Mary, SOAS, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths, Birkbeck.

And Heythrop...
Reply 13
Original post by Lulamae

It's literally appalling, the only thing worth going their for is foundation year so you can go elsewhere if you did poorly or architecture at most.

The quality and standard of education is poor........I remember being taken on a school trip their for them to show how 'amazing' it is to go there for maths, the trip was flawed from the start.
Original post by DeniedExistence
And Heythrop...

I've deleted my list now as I realised there are loads of colleges I missed out including Heythrop
Original post by Iqbal007
It's literally appalling, the only thing worth going their for is foundation year so you can go elsewhere if you did poorly or architecture at most.

The quality and standard of education is poor........I remember being taken on a school trip their for them to show how 'amazing' it is to go there for maths, the trip was flawed from the start.

London met maths :rofl: Please tell me the whole story, I'dlove to hear. Keep it long.
Reply 16
Original post by TheSownRose
And how many people on this thread go to London Met or personally know someone who does?
You won't be getting many replies to this one...

OP - I really wouldn't trust the general TSR posters for this kind of question. If there's any way you can get in contact with an actual student then that would actually be useful.
Reply 17
I don't think it's very well run.
1. They got caught out inflating their student numbers resulting in overpayment from the government a few years ago.
2. As a result of repaying the above overpayment they shut several courses with students on them.. Which is a pretty drastic step i've not heard done anywhere else.

If you're coming from abroad I'd not pay expensive london living costs to go there... Even if london was the only british city i'd ever heard of. Different situation for mature students and people who need to study near home.
Reply 18
I've not got first hand experience of it but from my understanding the facilities aren't the best and some of the students don't have a good attitude towards uni- they are there because they didn't know what else to do and aren't really so interested in studying. It's probally best if you have a look for yourself though.

I'm not actually all that interested in going there, I was just wondering why everyone has chosen to make it their number one 'horrible' school. :smile:

It's not the best university in the world, but it is the largest university in the UK, covering the most ground. It doesn't have very high standards, but that might suit some people; not everyone is an academic genius.

Lol. Sorry, i'm studying Russia at the moment and i found that really funny :tongue:
and as i typed that i realized how odd i am. oh well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending