The Student Room Group

I hate being a woman.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
First of all, This is a highly unfair statement claiming that being a women is any harder than being a man, We all have the stereotypical views such as all that men want is Sex which is highly inaccurate and unfair. Sticking up for yourself doesn't make you a 'Stupid Feminist' as you have put it however the way that you stick up for yourself could lead people to make that assumption. You and your 14 year old brother is not a reflection on women being oppressed, It is a family issue and does not involve the rest of us. The comment you made on equal rights is extremely unfair and massively irritating. Recently it was announced that Car insurance quotes would now no longer be gender fair and Men and Women would have the same price, Yet feminists complained about this and said it was unfair, So where in Equality does it say that women are allowed better deals yet men have to pay more? It's not exactly fair wanting equality and then complaining when it the table isn't being tipped in your favour. And we don't hate women, If you look at these LAD sites most of the rip the living hell out of anything they can, Doesn't matter if your a woman, there is Racism involved as well, LAD sites will make jokes out of people who are Straight, Gay, Black, White, Asian, Male, Female, Blonde, Ginger, etc etc. Females are not the only target.

Ky
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
It's as relevant as ever now.

Only relevant because people are trying to be controversial and they think this bizarre regression is the way to go about it. How is it utter rubbish? Are you saying we aren't equal or there's still a need for staunch feminism?
Reply 62
Can you blame us? Women had the chance to be successful and role models but they decided to become orange air-heads (Amy Childs, Jordan, <insert everyone from reality tv shows> You see women drinking as much as men if not more. One night stands are more and more common and of course it's the mans fault for said one night stand.

Both genders have serious problems, I dislike my gender because they all seem to follow football/sports like mindless slaves, who drink until liver failure...:colone: but there's still a lot of cool guys out there, who enjoy games, movies etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
It really sounds like you DO hate men, and are looking for any excuse to take their jokes too far. I don't doubt there are some men out there who do hate women, just like there are women who do hate men (extreme feminists mentioned above being one example) - but to say that a whole generation hates men, something you seem to have decided on just from hearing some sexist jokes that men have probably grabbed off sickipedia, is rude.

:colone:

Are you kidding me? Did you even read what I wrote?
Idiot.
Original post by agm23
x

You've said it all for me. Brilliantly put.

I actually work with a guy who told me that men are inherently better than women (I paraphrase). He works on the floor of a shop selling stuff and he thinks that by virtue of his penis he is better than every woman, no matter how influential or great. It totally amazed me because it had never occurred to me that men are better than women. I dunno.
Reply 65
As a male who is surrounded by 'lads', I do agree with you. Some of the comments i hear daily about girls are pretty disgusting and brutal. It's a front some guys put on around other guys, usually because they feel inadequate within that group so slate women because they're not manly enough to talk about them in a nice, respectful manner (thinking that will make them look weak within that group)

Likewise the guys on here who spout out all the usual "OI STFU AND MAKE ME A SANDWICH" crap are probably just lacking friends in the real world and get their kicks fishing for reps to feel accepted/manly. And the people who give them reps, are exactly the same and so the circle continues.

I'm fortunate to have a girlfriend and lots of female friends, and although yes I do find lots of girls physically attractive, I do also find girls generally to be easier to talk to thanks to their honesty and the lack of a need to put on a front like a lot of guys do.
I personally don't take them kind of comments to heart because I know that I'll be the one laughing when I'm dishing out (no pun intended) the orders and they're on the receiving end. I must admit, I love cooking and cooking for my boyfriend, I love cleaning because I find it therapeutic and well, who doesn't like a clean household? I know that I'd much prefer to climb the employment ladder and prove myself as an independant female who cannot only make sandwiches but can also afford to make them for herself.

I don't find being a woman hard, I love it. I love to get dressed up and look my best, I love knowing that my boyfriend finds me attractive aswell as the cheeky turning heads in the street and so on. However I also love to put on some tracksuit bottoms, throw my hair up in a pony and chill out to the TV eating KFC. I find it extremely narrow minded to base a whole gender on your personal experience from arrogant males who are clearly a sandwich short of a picnic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by agm23

I suppose i just want to know WHY our generation seem to hate women so much? I don't hate men - but then again, I can see why men may think we do due to the idiotic representations of women on tv...It feels like there is so much venom in these LADgroups on websites, and I mean really HATE women, like we are not worth anything. No wonder so many I feel so ****...

Our generation doesn't hate women, you're basing your views on a small cross-section of men. Even within lad culture most the guys making these jokes are whipped by their gfs and beyond this you have to remember it is a joke. It might not be to everyones taste but nobody who makes jokes about rape actually condones it. It's not as if women don't also joke about men either.

I reckon you're overthinking this, women aren't universally represented as idiots on TV and where they are the men don't fare much better, that's just a certain type of entertainment (eg TOWIE). Nowhere is it suggested women aren't worth anything, society isn't anywhere near as misogynistic as you seem to think.
Reply 68
Original post by agm23
This is something that has gotten me down so much I often find myself in tears out of frustration.

Is it just me, or is this 'LAD' culture joke gotten just a little out of hand? I know the majority of the jokes said (initially) are just jokes, but from some of the comments I have read (i.e. "women are only good for punching, ****ing and making food" << holy crap!) I am starting to feel like our generation is going backwards, that women's rights really are something to be laughed at, and to absolutely hate women is the done thing to do. And unfortunately I am starting to believe them.

As a women, I feel demoralised and humilated. To stick up for yourself automatically makes you a 'stupid feminist'. To do nothing only allows people to treat you more like crap. I hate the stupid tv commercials aimed at women that make us look like imbeciles, only interested in buying new shoes and rolling our eyes at men. I feel like my own boyfriend looks down on me, and I am tired of people making off-hand insulting comments as if it is ok. For example, my 14 year old brother seems to think it ok to call me a '****ing whore' under his breath, even when we are just joking around.

I feel like my sex is feeble, and if any woman ever tries to stick up for equal rights (God forbid!) she will be insulted and pushed down by society - and not just men! More and more girls seem to think it 'cool' to side with men on extreme sexist 'jokes', which I simply don't understand.

I suppose i just want to know WHY our generation seem to hate women so much? I don't hate men - but then again, I can see why men may think we do due to the idiotic representations of women on tv...It feels like there is so much venom in these LADgroups on websites, and I mean really HATE women, like we are not worth anything. No wonder so many I feel so ****...

I'm scared to post this cause I can already tell I will receive humiliating comments. Am I the only one who feels this way? I feel like there is literally no hope for me in life if I am to stay this gender.

It's terrible behaviour and rather an immature way of making jokes. I'm sure you understand it's a backlash to women actually becoming equal the same as black people or whatever. You should realise it's not really a gender thing, it's just that lots of people are c**ts. For each of those men (who are probably the same types who intimidate other men as well) there are nine who respect people across the board, no matter their gender.

Don't take comments on the Internet seriously/personally because it's made up of the scum of society who have nothing better to do. I'm sure if you look at the real-life relationships you have with men you won't see this, just as I know women I know in real life aren't all heartless gold-diggers who are constantly cheating on me with alpha males.

Don't let this stuff colour your relationship with your boyfriend as I'm sure your perception that he looks down on you etc is in your head. Also if your brother insults you (as he will do, he's your brother) he's not going to use male insults like b*****d or w****r or d**khead, is he? It's not the same thing.
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
I like banter as much as the next person.

However, what really does irk me is the reaction you often get if you say you're a feminist. I'd consider myself a feminist simply because I believe that women and men should be equal politically, socially, etc. That doesn't mean that I'm a man hater, the key term here is 'equality'.

Still, it's almost as if it's a shameful thing to admit. I simply don't understand why. In fact, I've noticed that it's often other women who seem to have a problem with the term. For instance, in one of my classes (all female), we were discussing feminism, to which the majority rolled their eyes, with one saying she wish that they'd 'shut up'. How bloody ungrateful.

Anyway, I best stop now, could go on for ages :tongue:

OP, don't let it get you down. There is no shame in being a woman, just as there is no shame in being a man. :smile:

+ rep and agree. The minute we stop striving for nothing but the best, we'll go backwards...even more, that is.
Food, now.
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
I like banter as much as the next person.

However, what really does irk me is the reaction you often get if you say you're a feminist. I'd consider myself a feminist simply because I believe that women and men should be equal politically, socially, etc. That doesn't mean that I'm a man hater, the key term here is 'equality'.

Still, it's almost as if it's a shameful thing to admit. I simply don't understand why. In fact, I've noticed that it's often other women who seem to have a problem with the term. For instance, in one of my classes (all female), we were discussing feminism, to which the majority rolled their eyes, with one saying she wish that they'd 'shut up'. How bloody ungrateful.

Anyway, I best stop now, could go on for ages :tongue:

OP, don't let it get you down. There is no shame in being a woman, just as there is no shame in being a man. :smile:

You don't see the inherent problem in an equality movement named after one side? Of course it get's hatred. Feminism implies women catching up to men, or excelling men, or something where the focus is the improvement of women alone. Otherwise wouldn't it just be called an equality movement? Maybe at a time when basic human rights were different was this valid. But not now, now we're dealing with sociocultural issues, not law.
Reply 72
Original post by Ronove
The few guys who inevitably reply to threads such as this with 'BUT MEN GET STEREOTYPED ETC TOO SO DEAL WITH IT' baffle me. No-one said men had no such problems. It's not a competition. Do you really think women trying to eradicate misogynistic attitudes threatens you in some way? That you're better off as long as women are still tied up with the last of the feminist battle?

Edit: Negged by a girl. ****ing typical. You are a blight on your own sex.

Ok, no one said men had no such problems BUT the original post didn't acknowledge that men have problems either.... and I guess I can use your own argument and say 'no one said its a competition'.
Don't you think its a tad insulting to men for the OP to say
"I feel like my sex is feeble, and if any woman ever tries to stick up for equal rights (God forbid!) she will be insulted and pushed down by society - and not just men!"
I'm a man, I want women to be equal to me.

I am all for equality trust me, just yesterday I read a book called The Space Between Us which moved me reading all about the struggles women face in developing countries.
However I would just like to raise my view that I don't like the term 'feminism' because I feel it ignores the issues men face. I acknowledge women have a tough life and I'm 100% for equality but having a term such as 'feminism' which clearly focuses on 'females' makes me feel that men are left out of the picture so where is the equality? I'd be interested to hear your views.
I'd really like it if there was some sort of 'equalitism' movement or something where people fight for both genders rights not just one particular gender.
Women seriously don't get enough credit for all the **** they have to go through.
Reply 74
Original post by Luxray
Ok, no one said men had no such problems BUT the original post didn't acknowledge that men have problems either.... and I guess I can use your own argument and say 'no one said its a competition'.
Don't you think its a tad insulting to men for the OP to say
"I feel like my sex is feeble, and if any woman ever tries to stick up for equal rights (God forbid!) she will be insulted and pushed down by society - and not just men!"
I'm a man, I want women to be equal to me.

I am all for equality trust me, just yesterday I read a book called The Space Between Us which moved me reading all about the struggles women face in developing countries.
However I would just like to raise my view that I don't like the term 'feminism' because I feel it ignores the issues men face. I acknowledge women have a tough life and I'm 100% for equality but having a term such as 'feminism' which clearly focuses on 'females' makes me feel that men are left out of the picture so where is the equality? I'd be interested to hear your views.
I'd really like it if there was some sort of 'equalitism' movement or something where people fight for both genders rights not just one particular gender.

I understand entirely what you mean, the reason most people are so ignorant about feminism is because they associate it with the 'all about women' movements that were necessary in the 60s/70s/80s and the word itself is misleading. In fact I'd never really considered just how much of a problem the word could be. It's easy to blame ignorant people who have this reactionary 'am I a feminist? GOD no!' response when they have no idea what it really means to be a feminist (and especially easy to lose all respect for people who are told what it is and still say 'nah we're equal enough already, these women are so freaking whiny, what is it, their time of the month? Be right back I have to go make a sandwich for my oaf of a boyfriend, he thinks it's cute to have me look after him!').

I think you're looking for the word egalitarianism by the way. :p: It would be helpful to have name like that but that would just sever the progress from the movements who have brought it this far, ie feminist movements, and just because some people think feminism means 'women above men', doesn't mean we necessarily have to pander to their ignorance and change everything. It is society over the ages that has dictated that feminism be the equality movement - if women had always been on top then we would most likely have a similar movement driven by men. Unfortunately it is women who have always born the brunt of sexism. To be honest, judging by my personal experience, I expect you could run a whole campaign just using the words equality between the sexes and so on and you'd still get almost as many people saying 'bloody feminists, whining about everything, men-haters, they just need a good ****'. The majority of men who complain about feminists don't object to them because they think they actually threaten equality, they just like the status quo. Who wouldn't enjoy being on top and it being in a way that is as subtle as it ever was so that it has a better chance of staying that way? Not that I think it's quite as conscious a thought-process as that.
I kind of see it as a microcosm of this nihilistic society we live in at the moment where nothing means anything. Everyone just wants to destroy their livers and behave like ****ing morons in their early twenties because all we have to look forward to is debt and uncertainty. Nobody seems to have any fresh, wonderful ideas anymore, nobody wants to create something wholesome and good, everything is just a cynical money-making ploy. So those who revert to their crudest base instincts are worshipped because everyone's too scared to actually sit down and think about where we're heading. Girls become whores and boys become ****ers and it's all very, very sad.

Or maybe I'm just a miserable ****. I don't know.
Original post by iamyourspiritfrombeyondth
I kind of see it as a microcosm of this nihilistic society we live in at the moment where nothing means anything. Everyone just wants to destroy their livers and behave like ****ing morons in their early twenties because all we have to look forward to is debt and uncertainty. Nobody seems to have any fresh, wonderful ideas anymore, nobody wants to create something wholesome and good, everything is just a cynical money-making ploy. So those who revert to their crudest base instincts are worshipped because everyone's too scared to actually sit down and think about where we're heading. Girls become whores and boys become ****ers and it's all very, very sad.

Or maybe I'm just a miserable ****. I don't know.

I wouldn't say you're a miserable ****. I think that your vision is, albeit, somewhat jaded, but at least you're also somewhat realistic, dude. I'm not absolutely sure where this ties in with the OP, but your I've got to say that I appreciate your ideas and try thinking a bit more about yourself rather than others. Try making yourself happy a bit. I mean, when you come down to the kind of emptiness of human existence, taking pleasure in anything that doesn't harm others is a pretty good way to pass the time.

OP, I was going to post a super flippant reply: sex change time! But, obviously, this problem goes deeper than any physical appendage and apparently you hadn't entertained such an idea. It has been said this "lad" culture ain't what's good for you...we all know the Internets is full of sandwich demands and kitchen decrees, but there are plenty of unisex and equality conceptions floating about.

Don't let the burdens of this get you down. We're all humans. A zombie can't tell the difference. (Fine, depends on the zombie. My point is no longer valid, but I knew what I meant :dry:)

:cheers:
Original post by JessaminePoppy
I wouldn't say you're a miserable ****. I think that your vision is, albeit, somewhat jaded, but at least you're also somewhat realistic, dude. I'm not absolutely sure where this ties in with the OP, but your I've got to say that I appreciate your ideas and try thinking a bit more about yourself rather than others. Try making yourself happy a bit. I mean, when you come down to the kind of emptiness of human existence, taking pleasure in anything that doesn't harm others is a pretty good way to pass the time.

OP, I was going to post a super flippant reply: sex change time! But, obviously, this problem goes deeper than any physical appendage and apparently you hadn't entertained such an idea. It has been said this "lad" culture ain't what's good for you...we all know the Internets is full of sandwich demands and kitchen decrees, but there are plenty of unisex and equality conceptions floating about.

Don't let the burdens of this get you down. We're all humans. A zombie can't tell the difference. (Fine, depends on the zombie. My point is no longer valid, but I knew what I meant :dry:)

:cheers:

Ha, I do ok really. Got friends, books, films, cannabis etc. It's just that I was about to go out tonight and then i realised that I really couldn't be arsed because I'd just be watching all this **** happen in real life.
Can you blame them though? I mean, I'm a woman, and I ****ing hate women.
Reply 79
I understand what you're saying, but personally I think the more you pay attention to those kinds of comments, the more they become true. Men are portrayed in a similarly unjust manner- as pigs, worthless, good for nothing etc... sometimes it really is just a joke. And the same way men might call a woman a "slut" or a "whore", women regularly refer to men as "pricks", "*******s" and "bastards".

You may not be a part of this little back and forth of the sexes, but a lot of people are.

As for women sticking up for men, I can see how it could be annoying but tbh I personally support gender equality and from what I've seen, feminism is full of double standards and seems to aim to overpower men more than it seeks to be equal with them.

Quick Reply

Latest