Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Any advice for current plan/diet Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i've recently been trying to get into a decent gym routine, i went for a couple of months 2 years or so ago, this is the diet and routine i generally plan to follow and im looking for opinions and/or improvemets

Diet
    Breakfast
    usually consists of a whole meal bagel and a glass of fruit juice or milk
    an hour or so after i usually eat a banana or an apple

lunch
    usually either a small portion of beef/chicken with pasta
    and the occasional protein shake (if i have any powder)

after workout snack
    this is usually just 2 wholegrain pieces of toast usually full by this point

dinner
    this is usually again either beef/chicken or a piece of fish with either sweet potato or rice and a piece of fruit after

my current workout routine is a 4 day split consisting of;
    sunday : chest and triceps
    monday : legs and biceps
    wednesday : back
    friday : soulders and abs

just looking for advice or any suggestions regarding this as there are contradicting pieces of advice scattered on thee web

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh and my current stats are, 5'9, 142 lbs, 18%BF, bmrs roughly 1600kcal/day
    bench : 60kg
    squat:60kg (not sure i have the right form)
    deadlift: 80kg

ReputationRep:
    What are your goals? What is your actual workout?

Hard to give any advice without knowing that

ReputationRep:
    my apologies i tried to keep the post short, my goals would be to drop my BF to at least 10% eventually, theres no real rush for this to happen, my goals are to just gain muscle/get ripped in general, im quite 'skinny-fat' as per say so i'd like to get rid of that, as for my workout.

Chest & tri's
    bench press 5x3
    incline dumbell 10 x 3
    dumbell flys 10 x 3
    skullcrushers?(i think there called this) 10 x 3
    tricep pulldowns 10 x 3

Legs
    Squats 10 x 3
    calf raises 10 x 3
    leg press 10x3
    legs curls? 10 x 3
    bicep curls 10x3

Back
    Deadlifts 5 x 3
    lat pulldown 10 x 3
    seated row 10 x 3
    bent over row 10 x 3

shoulders
    Shoulder press with barbell 10 x 3
    shoulder press with dumbells till failure x 3
    then i usually focus on traps (unsure what the excerices are called)

ReputationRep:
    Looks to me like you're on the right track. Your workout/ nutrition plans look solid. Do you have you plans to workout your biceps?

besides that though, my workout is quite similar. I got mine from this blog. You can check it out. It's looks like a pretty solid workout/ nutrition plan and the guy's transformation is pretty amazing.

http://myfatlossjournal.com/2012/03/19/jon/

ReputationRep:
    The plan looks good, with a good balance of foods. I would replace the after workout snack to something tht can illicit an insulin response and give a good dose of protein. I'd change the toast for maybe some low fat greek yogurt.

Low fast dairy also has the added benefit of being found to better the muscle:fat ratio!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory_Glory)
    hey guys i've recently been trying to get into a decent gym routine, i went for a couple of months 2 years or so ago, this is the diet and routine i generally plan to follow and im looking for opinions and/or improvemets

Diet
    Breakfast
    usually consists of a whole meal bagel and a glass of fruit juice or milk
    an hour or so after i usually eat a banana or an apple

lunch
    usually either a small portion of beef/chicken with pasta
    and the occasional protein shake (if i have any powder)

after workout snack
    this is usually just 2 wholegrain pieces of toast usually full by this point

dinner
    this is usually again either beef/chicken or a piece of fish with either sweet potato or rice and a piece of fruit after

my current workout routine is a 4 day split consisting of;
    sunday : chest and triceps
    monday : legs and biceps
    wednesday : back
    friday : soulders and abs

just looking for advice or any suggestions regarding this as there are contradicting pieces of advice scattered on thee web

thanks
    I think you're consuming too much carbohydrates: you have carbs for breakfast, lunch, after-workout snack and dinner. Try to include more greeny vegetables as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory_Glory)
    my apologies i tried to keep the post short, my goals would be to drop my BF to at least 10% eventually, theres no real rush for this to happen, my goals are to just gain muscle/get ripped in general, im quite 'skinny-fat' as per say so i'd like to get rid of that, as for my workout.

Chest & tri's
    bench press 5x3
    incline dumbell 10 x 3
    dumbell flys 10 x 3
    skullcrushers?(i think there called this) 10 x 3
    tricep pulldowns 10 x 3

Legs
    Squats 10 x 3
    calf raises 10 x 3
    leg press 10x3
    legs curls? 10 x 3
    bicep curls 10x3

Back
    Deadlifts 5 x 3
    lat pulldown 10 x 3
    seated row 10 x 3
    bent over row 10 x 3

shoulders
    Shoulder press with barbell 10 x 3
    shoulder press with dumbells till failure x 3
    then i usually focus on traps (unsure what the excerices are called)
    How often do you work out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan12)
    I think you're consuming too much carbohydrates: you have carbs for breakfast, lunch, after-workout snack and dinner. Try to include more greeny vegetables as well
    Oh yes, this!

Don't know why, whenever I read people's meal plans I always think veg is just THERE. @__@

If you want to reduce calories, try replacing sweet potato with baked butternut squash. Watch out for WHITE rice too, it's been related to increased risk of diabetes!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies guys, i'll throw in some vegetables with the main meals if thats the case, in regards to the carbs, should i eat less or the same with added vegetables? or replace them

Thanks so far with the replies guys, tremendous help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    How often do you work out?
    the daily plans in the first post mate

Looks to me like you're on the right track. Your workout/ nutrition plans look solid. Do you have you plans to workout your biceps?
    i do 3 sets of bicep curls on the leg day, not sure if i should increase this or not

one more quick question guys, where do i stand with cardio, is it a necessity to do it now, or shall i do it after the 'bulking' stage?

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to eat more.

ReputationRep:
    How did you arrive at 1600? Sounds pretty low. Anyways, work out your daily caloric needs.
    Take 10-20% off depending on how quick you want fat loss to occur.

Work out your macronutrient needs. (protein first/fats second then carbs last).

Although macronutrient ratio does not dictate body composition, it can affect your satiety and sanity when you're trying to diet down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    How did you arrive at 1600? Sounds pretty low. Anyways, work out your daily caloric needs.
    Take 10-20% off depending on how quick you want fat loss to occur.

Work out your macronutrient needs. (protein first/fats second then carbs last).

Although macronutrient ratio does not dictate body composition, it can affect your satiety and sanity when you're trying to diet down.
    i used some online calulator, i have a desk job so im fairly stationary throughout the day, not sure if this is still correct, but who knows, thanks for the advice man

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: April 21, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.