The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Which Cardiff accommodation?

I've firmed to do physics at Cardiff uni but have no idea which accommodation to go for, which one do people think is the best?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Senghennydd Hall/Court. The Tal-y-Bont stuff for social life although Senghennydd is also supposed to be quite lively. No one seems to talk about any of the other places.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DodieC
Senghennydd Hall/Court. The Tal-y-Bont stuff for social life although Senghennydd is also supposed to be quite lively. No one seems to talk about any of the other places.

΅

do you have any information about sen court?people seem to have mixed feelings about that and I've put that as my first choice! :?
Reply 3
Original post by mar0ulihp
΅

do you have any information about sen court?people seem to have mixed feelings about that and I've put that as my first choice! :?

The accommodation is ok, the rooms are pretty small (compared to uni hall if you were wondering) but that's what you get for the convenience of being in the centre of everything. The kitchen is ok, had a few problems with our bathroom but the maintenance guys usually fix stuff promptly.

There is a tesco literally <5 minutes away along with several takeaways which is very handy.

Would you like to have any information in particular?
Reply 4
Original post by Sean5861
Would you like to have any information in particular?

oh thank you soo much!and what bout the safety of the building?I read some reviews and there were one or two who complained about that!Ummm..and what about the guests you can host or something?Is the number or the days limited? Also,I was talking to a girl who lived in seng court some a couple of years ago and she said that it was really fun but all the people here say the oppossite!why?and one last thing!Would you recommend it trully to a friend of yours?:smile:
Thanks in advance!
:smile::h::u:
Reply 5
There is already a thread on accomodation:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1936495

Senghennydd and Talybont are discussed quite in-depth. Check it out.
Reply 6
Original post by Karm
There is already a thread on accomodation:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1936495

Senghennydd and Talybont are discussed quite in-depth. Check it out.

Oh!thank you sooo much! I am actually new in this website (registered 5 days ago) and I don't know much about it!thanks again!:smile:
Reply 7
Oh!thank you sooo much! I am actually new in this website (registered 5 days ago) and I don't know much about it!thanks again!:smile:

Haha no problem! Don't worry you're not alone!

(About which accommodation to choose, not being new!(lol))
Reply 8
Original post by hchawn
I've firmed to do physics at Cardiff uni but have no idea which accommodation to go for, which one do people think is the best?

Straight physics? I'm doing Astro :smile:
Reply 9
oh thank you soo much!and what bout the safety of the building?I read some reviews and there were one or two who complained about that!Ummm..and what about the guests you can host or something?Is the number or the days limited? Also,I was talking to a girl who lived in seng court some a couple of years ago and she said that it was really fun but all the people here say the oppossite!why?and one last thing!Would you recommend it trully to a friend of yours?:smile:
Thanks in advance!
:smile::h::u:

Sorry for the late reply. Regarding the safety, the fire alarms go off way too often and are very loud. Really really annoying to try and sleep through. Most of the times it's from people leaving the kitchen door open. Other than that there is nothing to be worried about. We have got a lot less now later on in the year thankfully.

There is a limit for the guests staying, but no one is ever going to notice - cleaners don't go in your room or anything so they can pretty much stay as long as you can cope with 2 people in the small room as long as your flatmates don't mind.

It is fun, I don't know why there is a negative response from other people. Maybe they are just jealous Talybont people? :tongue: I can't really compare obviously but I don't think there will be much difference. It all depends on what the people in your house are like but there are bound to be social people wherever.
Reply 10
Original post by Sean5861
Sorry for the late reply. Regarding the safety, the fire alarms go off way too often and are very loud. Really really annoying to try and sleep through. Most of the times it's from people leaving the kitchen door open. Other than that there is nothing to be worried about. We have got a lot less now later on in the year thankfully.

There is a limit for the guests staying, but no one is ever going to notice - cleaners don't go in your room or anything so they can pretty much stay as long as you can cope with 2 people in the small room as long as your flatmates don't mind.

It is fun, I don't know why there is a negative response from other people. Maybe they are just jealous Talybont people? :tongue: I can't really compare obviously but I don't think there will be much difference. It all depends on what the people in your house are like but there are bound to be social people wherever.

Oh no worries!Thanks a lot for the information!Haha!I guess jealousy it is!:P
Anywhere except Talybont North/ South.
Reply 12
Not Uni Halls.

It's a good 40 Minute walk from anything and they've recently closed the on campus bar up there, you are literally stuck in the middle of nowhere... And taxi drivers sting you at like £8.00 a journey to civilisation.
Reply 13
Original post by Mighty Moe
Anywhere except Talybont North/ South.

You staying at one of them at the moment? Why not?
Original post by tweeto
You staying at one of them at the moment? Why not?

I was in Taly South.

Found the accommodation to be grotty (silverfish infestation), depressingly small and ridiculously loud. I know people go expecting a lot of socializing and fun, but Taly South was ridiculous.

I put up with it in term time, but during the exam period it is not ideal. Being woken up at 4am from a)firealarms b) drunkards outside c) drunkards in your flat d) drunkards in the next flat when you have an exam the next morning is not nice.

A lot of people don't realise Taly is the biggest accommodation area, so there are always people walking past your block late into the night after a night out, singing, shouting and generally pissed.

Anyway I moved to Cartwright Court for the last few weeks as I couldn't hack it, and found it was a much better balance between social life and being study-appropriate.

Most people say taly south is where you go if you want to have a good time, but really it's the people you're with that make uni fun rather than where you live.
Reply 15
I was in Taly South.

Found the accommodation to be grotty (silverfish infestation), depressingly small and ridiculously loud. I know people go expecting a lot of socializing and fun, but Taly South was ridiculous.

I put up with it in term time, but during the exam period it is not ideal. Being woken up at 4am from a)firealarms b) drunkards outside c) drunkards in your flat d) drunkards in the next flat when you have an exam the next morning is not nice.

A lot of people don't realise Taly is the biggest accommodation area, so there are always people walking past your block late into the night after a night out, singing, shouting and generally pissed.

Anyway I moved to Cartwright Court for the last few weeks as I couldn't hack it, and found it was a much better balance between social life and being study-appropriate.

Most people say taly south is where you go if you want to have a good time, but really it's the people you're with that make uni fun rather than where you live.

Yeah this seems to be the norm from everyone who has stayed in south! That's the reason I put Taly court first, then Cartwright. Think Taly south was about my 9th choice! I want a balance.

How would you rate Cartwright to Taly court? (assuming you have been in one of the rooms at court) :smile:
Original post by tweeto
Yeah this seems to be the norm from everyone who has stayed in south! That's the reason I put Taly court first, then Cartwright. Think Taly south was about my 9th choice! I want a balance.

How would you rate Cartwright to Taly court? (assuming you have been in one of the rooms at court) :smile:

Ah good, I'm sure you'll get a much better balance in Taly Court.

The rooms in Cartwright are a bit bigger than Court, but that's because they aren't ensuite. Instead they are 'shared ensuite', so you share a bathroom with the room next door. Because of this the accommodation is a bit cheaper than all of the Talybont accommodation. Taly Court should do the job though if you do end up there.
Reply 17
Ah good, I'm sure you'll get a much better balance in Taly Court.

The rooms in Cartwright are a bit bigger than Court, but that's because they aren't ensuite. Instead they are 'shared ensuite', so you share a bathroom with the room next door. Because of this the accommodation is a bit cheaper than all of the Talybont accommodation. Taly Court should do the job though if you do end up there.

In Cartwright there are 2 choices; Study flat and study house. Does just the flat have the shared bathroom (between 2) and the house a few that share?:redface:
Original post by tweeto
In Cartwright there are 2 choices; Study flat and study house. Does just the flat have the shared bathroom (between 2) and the house a few that share?:redface:

Yeah, I think that's how it works. The houses have much smaller kitchens though. In the flats the kitchens and rooms have only recently been renovated, so they're very tidy as the on-site staff are touchy about it becoming too messy what with it being quite new.
Reply 19
Yeah, I think that's how it works. The houses have much smaller kitchens though. In the flats the kitchens and rooms have only recently been renovated, so they're very tidy as the on-site staff are touchy about it becoming too messy what with it being quite new.

What puts me off a little about the flats, is the extremely small study table. This is going by the picture and 360 view of the room on the website. I assume it's the same in all the flat rooms?

Thinking of maybe changing my first choice to Cartwright, as it's nearly a £1000 cheaper and an en-suite, although would be great, is not essential!

Thanks for your reply's, they have been extremely helpful! :smile:

p.s, what way does the shared bathroom work (in the flats)? Do you both have a door in your room? I assume you can lock the other persons door from the inside when you are in? Otherwise........arkward!! :zomg:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending